Lucian Hodoboc

Which theological stream influenced your views the most?

According to Wikipedia, "progressive Christianity draws on the insights of multiple theological streams including evangelicalism, liberalism, neo-orthodoxy, pragmatism, postmodernism, Progressive Reconstructionism, and liberation theology". Which of these theological streams would you say has influenced you the most and why? 🤨

Welcome Lucian.

I don't typically this in terms of theological streams, more so, I think in terms of authors/theologians. I am drawn to those authors who accept a 21st C worldview and who, finding value in Christianity, attempt to retell the Christian Story to a present day audience. I think theologians like John Hick and John Macquarie are essential, along with Gregory Baum, Gabriel Moran, Roger Haight and a number of biblical scholars. I also like a philosopher from the eastern faith expression: David Bentley Hart.

However, if you ever want to discuss a particular stream, could be interesting.

5 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

According to Wikipedia, "progressive Christianity draws on the insights of multiple theological streams including evangelicalism, liberalism, neo-orthodoxy, pragmatism, postmodernism, Progressive Reconstructionism, and liberation theology". Which of these theological streams would you say has influenced you the most and why? 🤨

None of the above.  My theological goal is to read scripture accurately in the context of the authors, but any theology is a distant second to prayer and gratitude.

I would have to say evangelicalism, primarily because that was the theology I was indoctrinated with and that which ultimately helped me research and understand Christianity better when I rejected it as an adult.

If i was forced to pick one i would say Progressive Reconstructionism. Why? Only because it is the closest to my experience but i was not aware of any such a defined stream while it was happening. (deconstruction and reconstruction) To me, putting a label on a stream , while i understand why people do, does little to accurately portray the complexity of what influenced a person.