Suicide

PaulS

Just wanted to put this out there so anybody participating in the forum or scanning its contents, who might be feeling depressed and suicidal, might find this helpful in some way. 

In Australia we have a pretty big push about discussing suicide openly and trying to move away from the practice of hushing it up or being ashamed of suicide.  Also, there have been a couple of guys from work suicide in the last couple of months and we are entering the Christmas season where typically (at least in Australia) suicide rates jump for this period.

In my previous work policing I attended numerous suicides - hangings, drownings, car exhausts, people jumping in front of trains, and many more graphic and imaginative examples.  I always used to wonder if these people were brave or weak.

Now I realise that they were neither brave or weak, but rather they simply got to a state where they felt that the only way to end their pain was to suicide.  It's like sitting at the bottom of a deep hole and the only way you can see yourself getting out is to end your life.

So whilst I am not anti-suicide, I think most people don't make this decision in a healthy state of mind.

Having been in a similar hole myself, but thankfully not quite prepared at that time to kill myself, I want to let others know that if you just keep breathing, just keep pushing through it, you will get out of that hole in the end.  Talking to others, telling them how you feel, telling them even that you are thinking of killing yourself, will help.  Just keep breathing, putting one foot in front of the other, going through the motions - you will come out the other side eventually.

Talking to a professional psych and/or medication may be helpful, but even then it can still be hard.  But just know that it will not last forever.  You will come out of this. 

I really think talking to somebody is the key, so please, if you are in this state then at the very least, what do you have to lose by talking to somebody first.  Here are a  few numbers:

Australia - Lifeline 13 11 14

USA - Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK

UK - 0800 068 4141

For other numbers just Google 'suicide help' in your home country.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this. It's hard to be vulnerable when going through depression. This is one thing that it is hard to be open about. You feel misunderstood. No one understands your or no one tries to understand you. I take suicidal thoughts seriously and I appreciate you dropping a helpful hotline. I have been encouraged by encouraging articles on Biblereasons.com. If you are someone who is wrestling with suicidal thoughts know that you are not alone. You have people who love you who are willing to walk by your side. Do not be afraid to ask for help. Keep on pushing. Let's do life together! God bless!