Delusional psychopaths vs Religous belief

PaulS

Jack,

If we are judged by our darkest moments, i am of the opinion we would all be condemned . I personally choose to see others in the light knowing that we all have had moments we do not wish to be attached to. If "our worse moments defines how bad we are" as you have put it, then what use is their for faith,  hope or love? Jack, perhaps you did not mean it as it came across because one of the great teachings of Jesus that helps set a person free (in my opinion) is "Judge not that ye be not judged" " For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again." I prefer to focus on the good in people yet be not unwise to the potential of darkness.  I have also found myself being reminded that if i were the other person in every way perhaps i wouild be no different. ?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, JosephM said:

In my view it is just a belief someone has chosen or been influenced to believe from their conditioned life. I would neither call it rational, irrational, or delusional. Nor would i base it on the understanding "we" (whatever or whomever that refers to) have on the way the universe ticks today. The words rational and irrational and delusional are in my view highly subjective at best.

My 2 cents,

Joseph

So excuse me if I ask a question (cynical or otherwise) … can we have rational beliefs? When choose a belief was it done rationally? I would have thought if I could defend a belief with evidence, that would count as rational. Of course our evidence might not be terribly strong, or that our premises are built on sand. 

By being (highly) subjective does not mean we can't collectively glean some so called objectivity. But then objectivity and subjectivity are not what the seem either.

13 hours ago, romansh said:

So excuse me if I ask a question (cynical or otherwise) … can we have rational beliefs? When choose a belief was it done rationally? I would have thought if I could defend a belief with evidence, that would count as rational. Of course our evidence might not be terribly strong, or that our premises are built on sand. 

By being (highly) subjective does not mean we can't collectively glean some so called objectivity. But then objectivity and subjectivity are not what the seem either.

I think you have answered your own question quite well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 8:44 PM, romansh said:

Of course I answered my own question Joseph … it was your answer that I was looking for.

There seemed no need for mine as it was adequately answered by you.  I am in agreement with your last two sentences as a summary.