Name your Poison

PaulS

I like to have a bit of a drink.  In fact drinking alcohol is a pretty much embedded part of my social life, well life even when I'm on my own for that matter.  In fact, here's a pic of my spare fridge in anticipation for Christmas 2017.  Not that I drank it all alone, but a man needs to be prepared (as do women too of course).

My favourite drink of all time is a quality Shiraz wine, preferably from the Barossa Valley in South Australia, although I think my home state of Western Australia offers some pretty close seconds.  I have been lucky enough to partake in some, what I consider ridiculously expensive red wine (Penfolds Grange - $700-$800/bottle) but I found it no more satisfying than a good $100 bottle of Shiraz.  But then again, I am probably a peasant when it comes to class wine!

White-wise I probably prefer a nice crisp SBS - semillion blanc sauvignon.  However lately I've taken a fancy to Pinot Gris, yet I also have a taste for a nice limey, minerally, Riesling on a hot summer's day.

The above said, I am a man of a wide variety of taste and to contrast against say a nice $50+ bottle of red, I also enjoy a few glasses of my homemade Rhubarb wine (yep, you can make alcohol from just about anything!).  And if I'm going to promote a Nectar of the Gods, one can't go past Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (just Google it).  Astoundingly that particular drop has some fairly close origins with this forum (wink wink, nod nod).

I have also made some spirits through my mate's still and my own WTF Bourbon from NYE 2015 is still talked about today (even if the participants are unable to remember what TF hit them that night!).

How about you?  Do you have a favourite tipple that you would like to share?  Have you made your own from the world's resources or are you content to buy already made?  Next on my home brew hit list is a lemon mead wine and some more rhubarb wine of course (as I grow 5 rhubarb plants).

Now if I could just work out what to do with some water at a wedding!

25446268_10156002784136468_3892077847946198721_n.jpg

Well I am impressed by your beer fridge.

I must admit I like red wines, particularly shiraz and malbec.  I do look out for the Barossa Valley wines.

Either a local box wine or a bottle 15 to 20 $ range. The Californian ... Apothic Red has been good value.

Every two or three years take a trip to the Okanagan Valley and stock up on some reds. 

Beers ... generally IPAs. The best ever (2007) was at the Glacier Brew House in Anchorage, fermented twice with hops and served at 14 C ... which is/was really unusual for the States.

Spirits ... generally try different single malts. Glenn Fiddich is the boring standard go to

Shiraz is also one of my favorites. (Yellow Tail). Of course all years are not the same with some being in my view superior to others. I usually let them age a few years before i partake and find a noticeable improvement. With no basements in Florida i no longer have the space for such and my tastebuds are not what they used to be. 

6 hours ago, JosephM said:

Shiraz is also one of my favorites. (Yellow Tail). Of course all years are not the same with some being in my view superior to others. I usually let them age a few years before i partake and find a noticeable improvement. With no basements in Florida i no longer have the space for such and my tastebuds are not what they used to be. 

I don't have suitable wine storage in my house either so I utilise my neighbours wine cellar and have about 150 bottles in there.  An unintended but beneficial consequence is they seem to last longer over there than they would of they were here at my fingertips!  I tend to age them and select them more for occasions than just run of the mill quaffing.  

38 minutes ago, romansh said:

Paul

Just curious about Yellow Tail ... we can get it in Canada ... I have not tried it a while, it was OK.

I got the impression Australians looked down on it a bit. Is that right?

It is down the cheaper end in Australia Rom - about $9 or $10 a bottle - and it is probably looked at as not our finest export.  Probably like Fosters beer which nobody drinks in Australia but which I think is just about the only Australian beer known in the US & Canada.

It's all personal taste but I think price is roughly aligned with quality and I know for myself that there is definitely something more to shiraz's in the $40-$60 category than what Yellowtail presents.  But as evidenced by my preparedness to drink homemade rhubarb wine, I hope you understand that I am no wine snob.

7 hours ago, PaulS said:

It is down the cheaper end in Australia Rom - about $9 or $10 a bottle - and it is probably looked at as not our finest export.  Probably like Fosters beer which nobody drinks in Australia but which I think is just about the only Australian beer known in the US & Canada.

It's all personal taste but I think price is roughly aligned with quality and I know for myself that there is definitely something more to shiraz's in the $40-$60 category than what Yellowtail presents.  But as evidenced by my preparedness to drink homemade rhubarb wine, I hope you understand that I am no wine snob.

Haven't thought of Foster's since undergrad.  The only beer properly drunk with an oil spout.