Study Bible - Allegory

mystert

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a way to study the Bible as allegory, where the events, stories are described from a symbolic/allegorical perspective.  There's a bunch of study Bibles out there for learning about history, culture, taking the Bible literally, applying doctrine but I don't really feel the need to do that right now.

Does anyone have suggestions on a study Bible with this perspective?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, mystert said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a way to study the Bible as allegory, where the events, stories are described from a symbolic/allegorical perspective.  There's a bunch of study Bibles out there for learning about history, culture, taking the Bible literally, applying doctrine but I don't really feel the need to do that right now.

Does anyone have suggestions on a study Bible with this perspective?

Thanks!

No.  Jordan Peterson's lecture series is based on allegory and archetype, but it is not a bible study.  Plenty interesting, though.

Books differ.  Song is entirely allegorical but proverbs is not.  Revelation is a vision.  The David and Goliath story was thought to be historical, then allegorical or fictional, but recent documents on period chariot warfare is making that story read as history again.

The best place to start might be Jesus' parables.  They are all allegories describing the kingdom of God, and there are study guides for those.

My advice is to work to discover the context and perspective of the authors.  The books had human authors and redactors, and they were preserved for a reason.  Treating everything in the bible as allegory is the same error as assuming inerrancy.  Starting with preconceptions is poor form.

Welcome Mystert

I recommend Joseph Campbell .... Power of Myth, Pathways to Bliss, and Myths of Light. Strictly speaking these books are not what you are asking for, but they do compare various religions in terms of metaphor and allegory. I would start with a coffee-table version of Power of Myth. It is a transcript of a conversation Joseph Campbell had with Bill Moyers. It also available on DVD .... always fell asleep with beer in hand on that one though.

And again as a recommendation that is slightly off topic, I would look at alternative paths ... eg understanding how the universe ticks and work up from there.

rom