End Times?

JosephM

Got a call from an old acquaintance last night who evidently felt compelled to call me at a late hour (after 10PM to inform me i needed to seek a safe place as the end of the world as foretold in the Bible was taking place.  He was of course referring to the signs of disasters such as Harvey, Irma, Maria and the Mexican earthquake. . End times seems to have made the news lately from some Christian fundamentalist groups even predicting again dates and future catastrophes. Obviously there are people out there who believe it. What do you tell them? I just listened to the 10 minute rant and and when he was out of steam without any disagreement from me he politely said his goodbye. Anybody else still know somebody like that?

Joseph

The apostles were convinced they end was near, and apocalypticism has not decreased since then.

Most of us have only a few decades at most until our personal apocalypse, and that is an undeniable fact.  Be prepared.

I was just reading about this yesterday as apparently Saturday was meant to be the end of the world (again).  I guess there is still a few hours of Saturday left somewhere in the world, but I'm quietly confident that we are going to be okay.

I have several Christian friends and family that genuinely expect the 2nd coming to happen during their lifetime, as 'all the signs are there' they believe.  Like Burl says, this is a belief that has been floating around forever.  The bible even reports Jesus believing God was going to establish His Kingdom during Jesus' generation and return Israel to prominence.

A couple of years ago I was getting rid of a few old guns but a Christian friend was very adamant that I needed to keep them for protection during the period of anarchy that was to follow the 2nd coming.  

It may seem relatively harmless but it can be scary to know that there are people who think and believe these things.  Remember the Heaven's gate mob - about 40 of them committed suicide believing a spacecraft was tailing Haley's Comet as it passed the earth.  

Edited by PaulS

A friend came into my office one day to show me a videotape from a cult that was trying to recruit him.  He just kept trolling them and they sent him several tapes before the cult gave up on him.  They were lectures by Do from Heaven's Gate.  Obviously mentally ll.  Then several years later the mass suicide.  

My son was "warned" at his place of employment that the end was nigh. I've lived long enough to see this kind of thing come around and around every few years. In fact, when I was very young, the film "A Thief in the Night" (about the rapture) scared the dickens out of me, so much so that I questioned my salvation and rightness with God for quite a while. As PaulS pointed out, even Jesus taught that he would return in his generation to establish the kingdom of God on earth. So far, he is still a "no show". ;) Personally, I have no need or use for fear-based religion and, perhaps like you, Joseph, I would simply wait for the steam to run out. To me, there is no sense in arguing with those caught up in end-of-the-world scenarios or fear-based faith. Fear is seldom rational.

To me, if/when the end does come, it will be due to our own short-sightedness as human beings or due to the natural course of nature (our sun becoming a red giant). I no longer fear or expect God's intervention.

• Like 1

Bill,

I remember watching that film in our church when I was about 10.  I still vividly remember the scenes of the electric razor buzzing by itself on the edge of the bathroom basin and a lawnmower idling unattended.  I was traumatised for years and a couple of times I'd come home and find nobody there and would immediately panic that I had missed the rapture!  

The joys of indoctrinating our youth!

Cheers

Paul

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Spiritfilled said:

Aliens and Armageddon...the end of times.

yUzYh9y.jpg

Notice the resemblance between the frog and the alien.

There is a magazine in the UK, "Private Eye". Every edition features at least one "look-a-like", a double photo. This week it was the Rev Richard Cole, dressed up for "Strictly Come Dancing", and the British PM, Theresa May. Very similar, in fact, uncanny. Its a good game. 

I have had experiences with aliens.

My story begins one night while laying awake in bed. I was accustomed at this time in my life to seeing and hearing spirits. A knowing spirit with powers recreated from memory the sound of a spacecraft and teleported an alien in spirit to my bedside. The alien spirit spoke in a highly technological sounding language. Upon recognizing that I could not understand him, he said the word "human" and then vanished. It is my belief that a knowing angelic being did this to inform me that I would be or have been paid a visit by this alien in body arriving in a spacecraft. I believe this was a prophetic vision of aliens being in my life and collecting my DNA for cloning.

A few years later my wife and I had seen my doppelganger (spirit-double). The lowly dead of the spirit world called it a clone. Then it was revealed to me by a much higher being that I had truly been cloned. As I laid awake in bed, a progression of spirits in the cloning process had laid upon me. About five in total with the first having the most slim covering its’ bodily form and its’ mouth filled with a thick mucus-like substance. They appeared to have been in a vat of a thick gel-like substance.

This next encounter was a physical one. I was running a fever one night and sleeping. I hadn't had a fever in years and it was no coincidence that I was running one this night. My wife and I had the fan blowing up our noses and could easily smell things in the room. My fever began to suddenly rise and I began squirming in bed violently. I was awakening when I smelt their scent. They smelt as though they come from the water. Although I did not see them, there was an obvious alien presence in the room. They quickly vanished from the bedroom and their scent went away. My wife later said that she felt something pulling on her legs and smelling sulfur. This scenario brings to mind the Legend of the Doppelganger. Legend has it that if a person sees their own doppelganger (spirit-double), it means imminent death. I believe that the aliens were there to harm me that night and my protector Father God or Jesus had intervened by making my fever go up, chasing them away and saving my life.

Aliens are of a higher intelligence than ourselves and they very well may play a role in the end of times.

2 Corinthians 2:11. in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.

A few years ago I read a testimony from a guy who had been raised outside of the Christian tradition. He believed only in benign beings beyond his senses, beings who sought only his welfare. Such seemed healthy to me. Still does. Life affirming. Grace seems to be the fabric of reality, in which we live and move and have our being. 

For me personally, I cannot imagine the end times being anything other than made made, should they ever occur at all.  I take a lot of comfort in the fact that people have been expecting the end of days since Jesus' day (and even before in some cultures).

The most I can possibly imagine is that if there is some cosmic plan for an end times, it will all be good afterwards.  But, each to their own.