Teotym's Introduction

teotym

Hi everyone,

i'd like to introduce myself. In the beginning I want to apologise for my terrible English. It's not my native language and I don't use it daily.

I was raised in formally catholic family but indifferent religiously. I was interested in philosophy but I couldn't decide who is right. Catholic church was totally boring and strtange institution to me.

One day I I had strange impulse to read New Testament. I finished it in 2 weeks and experienced "new born", but without languages and other "miracles". I believed in all Scripture and started to looking for place to worship God. I joined darbysts [closed brethren, dispensationalists] and spent there about 7 years. They are very strict to their doctrine and with time I feeled very limited by them. I was interested in christian mystics, buddhist meditation and for them they were heretic practices.

One day I quit and went to catholic church. But CC also has stupid set of doctrines with their Mary, saints, meat wafer etc. year after year I struggled between catholicism and protestantism and in the and in the end I almost approached the agnosticism. Bible has no more literal sense to me, was full of cruelty and fairy tales, no better then other "holy books". Then i discovered, that I'm not alone in my doubts and there are some movements like progressive christians, liberal christians, christian universalist, emerging movement etc. Now I can see, that one can believe in God and Jesus without pocket of foolish doctrines, without believing in fairy tales, treating Bible like story of relationships people with God, sometimes inspiring, sometimes silly.

Now I'm explore post-christianity doctrine and do not impose myself strict set of dotrines. I'm still seeking.

• Upvote 1

Welcome, Teotym.

The trick to reading Scripture is to remember that is was written for you but not to you.

One must adopt the context of the time in which it was written to understand it.

Hi Teotym and welcome to the forum.

I like your approach to "treating Bible like story of relationships people with God, sometimes inspiring, sometimes silly."

I see the bible as a collection of various writings, from a diverse range of individuals, written over a time period of hundreds and hundreds and years, and all having their say on how they see god, community, relationships, politics, etc. I don't see it as divinely inspired or driven - well no more than many other writings on religion, poetry, creative fiction and others, but of some value nonetheless. From the bible I enjoy reading and imagining what other people's lives may have been in their times and how they have dealt with similar emotions and issues throughout time. In some instances it provides inspiration and guidance, yet in others I am incredulous at the writer's ignorance and/or way of thinking.

I hope you enjoy participating here.

Cheers

Paul

I see the bible as a collection of various writings, from a diverse range of individuals, written over a time period of hundreds and hundreds and years, and all having their say on how they see god, community, relationships, politics, etc. I don't see it as divinely inspired or driven - well no more than many other writings on religion, poetry, creative fiction and others, but of some value nonetheless. From the bible I enjoy reading and imagining what other people's lives may have been in their times and how they have dealt with similar emotions and issues throughout time. In some instances it provides inspiration and guidance, yet in others I am incredulous at the writer's ignorance and/or way of thinking.

I agree with you. This forum is very helpful, because I found people dealing with the same problems as mine. I wrote very simplistic post, because have problems to express opinions in English and it could bee too long and boring. But this forum confirms my thoughts, that christianity mostly uses terminology and tools which are completely inadequate at human knowledge, experience etc. It generates dissonance between everyday life and "sacred" sphere. We use modern treatment, modern devices and are forced to believe in speaking serpent, meat waffer, angels walking behind us step by step, speaking in tongues, Mary mediator and so on, and so on.

I remember when I first found this site - I was absolutely astounded that there were so many other people with doubts, questions and an understanding of the bible that finally made sense to me (that is, not a literal interpretation). Before then I didn't know there were even any other type of Christians other than fundamentals! I found great relief when I joined and used this forum and it has been very helpful for me. I hope it serves you well also.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulS

teotym, Welcome, and you expressed yourself well and your evolution is interesting. Christianity is up for grabs and we see the two camps expressing themselves in the United States. We have one camp supporting hate, giving more to the rich and to do this taking from the sick, weak, young minorities and women. It seems they are afraid that there is not enough for everyone, which expresses their faith, not necessary the faith of Jesus who taught abundance. I am sure you have learned a lot in your many adventures and may you share your wisdom with us.

teotym, Welcome, and you expressed yourself well and your evolution is interesting. Christianity is up for grabs and we see the two camps expressing themselves in the United States. We have one camp supporting hate, giving more to the rich and to do this taking from the sick, weak, young minorities and women. It seems they are afraid that there is not enough for everyone, which expresses their faith, not necessary the faith of Jesus who taught abundance. I am sure you have learned a lot in your many adventures and may you share your wisdom with us.

I think you overestimate me but I have some observations.

Eg. I experienced how rigid doctrines separate from others, from live. The more rigid doctrine you believe, the more judgmental you become. It is dead end. I'm done with such denominations like darbysts. They give you no space to spiritual growth, no place for individual relationships with God, no place for your own way to Absolute. The same is in Catholic Church. In my opinions post-modern society shoul focus on communities sharing their faith and experiences - not dictate you what you should experience.

Welcome, Teotym. I'm enjoying your story and sharing. I, too, have found many doctrines in both the scriptures and in the Christian religion to be nonsense or immoral. I think our human experiences of that which we call God are meaningful and real. But when we try to turn our personal experiences into "formulas" that others must embrace and follow, problems arise. Our experiences can often bind us together, while our doctrines tend to separate us. I hope you find this a good space for your own spiritual growth where you and your own experience of the Divine are affirmed.

Teotym, I agree we need to just create an environment for growth and have faith that people will find their unique dharma or way of life. It is not our duty to force, shame or make people change when they are perfect in what they are doing in the moment. I can't see what is behind their eyes, but I can love what is before mine.