This Week's Lectionary

Burl

Matthew 9:9-26

Passing along, Jesus saw a man at his work collecting taxes. His name was Matthew. Jesus said, “Come along with me.” Matthew stood up and followed him.

10-11 Later when Jesus was eating supper at Matthew’s house with his close followers, a lot of disreputable characters came and joined them. When the Pharisees saw him keeping this kind of company, they had a fit, and lit into Jesus’ followers. “What kind of example is this from your Teacher, acting cozy with crooks and riffraff?”

12-13 Jesus, overhearing, shot back, “Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: ‘I’m after mercy, not religion.’ I’m here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders.”

Kingdom Come

14 A little later John’s followers approached, asking, “Why is it that we and the Pharisees rigorously discipline body and spirit by fasting, but your followers don’t?”

15 Jesus told them, “When you’re celebrating a wedding, you don’t skimp on the cake and wine. You feast. Later you may need to pull in your belt, but not now. No one throws cold water on a friendly bonfire. This is Kingdom Come!”

16-17 He went on, “No one cuts up a fine silk scarf to patch old work clothes; you want fabrics that match. And you don’t put your wine in cracked bottles.”

Just a Touch

18-19 As he finished saying this, a local official appeared, bowed politely, and said, “My daughter has just now died. If you come and touch her, she will live.” Jesus got up and went with him, his disciples following along.

20-22 Just then a woman who had hemorrhaged for twelve years slipped in from behind and lightly touched his robe. She was thinking to herself, “If I can just put a finger on his robe, I’ll get well.” Jesus turned—caught her at it. Then he reassured her: “Courage, daughter. You took a risk of faith, and now you’re well.” The woman was well from then on.

23-26 By now they had arrived at the house of the town official, and pushed their way through the gossips looking for a story and the neighbors bringing in casseroles. Jesus was abrupt: “Clear out! This girl isn’t dead. She’s sleeping.” They told him he didn’t know what he was talking about. But when Jesus had gotten rid of the crowd, he went in, took the girl’s hand, and pulled her to her feet—alive. The news was soon out, and traveled throughout the region.

Matthew 9:35-10:23

35-38 Then Jesus made a circuit of all the towns and villages. He taught in their meeting places, reported kingdom news, and healed their diseased bodies, healed their bruised and hurt lives. When he looked out over the crowds, his heart broke. So confused and aimless they were, like sheep with no shepherd. “What a huge harvest!” he said to his disciples. “How few workers! On your knees and pray for harvest hands!”

The Twelve Harvest Hands

10 1-4 The prayer was no sooner prayed than it was answered. Jesus called twelve of his followers and sent them into the ripe fields. He gave them power to kick out the evil spirits and to tenderly care for the bruised and hurt lives. This is the list of the twelve he sent:

Simon (they called him Peter, or “Rock”),
Andrew, his brother,
James, Zebedee’s son,
John, his brother,
Philip,
Bartholomew,
Thomas,
Matthew, the tax man,
James, son of Alphaeus,
Thaddaeus,
Simon, the Canaanite,
Judas Iscariot (who later turned on him).

5-8 Jesus sent his twelve harvest hands out with this charge:

“Don’t begin by traveling to some far-off place to convert unbelievers. And don’t try to be dramatic by tackling some public enemy. Go to the lost, confused people right here in the neighborhood. Tell them that the kingdom is here. Bring health to the sick. Raise the dead. Touch the untouchables. Kick out the demons. You have been treated generously, so live generously.

9-10 “Don’t think you have to put on a fund-raising campaign before you start. You don’t need a lot of equipment. You are the equipment, and all you need to keep that going is three meals a day. Travel light.

11 “When you enter a town or village, don’t insist on staying in a luxury inn. Get a modest place with some modest people, and be content there until you leave.

12-15 “When you knock on a door, be courteous in your greeting. If they welcome you, be gentle in your conversation. If they don’t welcome you, quietly withdraw. Don’t make a scene. Shrug your shoulders and be on your way. You can be sure that on Judgment Day they’ll be mighty sorry—but it’s no concern of yours now.

16 “Stay alert. This is hazardous work I’m assigning you. You’re going to be like sheep running through a wolf pack, so don’t call attention to yourselves. Be as cunning as a snake, inoffensive as a dove.

17-20 “Don’t be naive. Some people will impugn your motives, others will smear your reputation—just because you believe in me. Don’t be upset when they haul you before the civil authorities. Without knowing it, they’ve done you—and me—a favor, given you a platform for preaching the kingdom news! And don’t worry about what you’ll say or how you’ll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words.

21-23 “When people realize it is the living God you are presenting and not some idol that makes them feel good, they are going to turn on you, even people in your own family. There is a great irony here: proclaiming so much love, experiencing so much hate! But don’t quit. Don’t cave in. It is all well worth it in the end. It is not success you are after in such times but survival. Be survivors! Before you’ve run out of options, the Son of Man will have arrived.

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew 13:1-23    The Message (MSG)

A Harvest Story

13 1-3 At about that same time Jesus left the house and sat on the beach. In no time at all a crowd gathered along the shoreline, forcing him to get into a boat. Using the boat as a pulpit, he addressed his congregation, telling stories.

3-8 “What do you make of this? A farmer planted seed. As he scattered the seed, some of it fell on the road, and birds ate it. Some fell in the gravel; it sprouted quickly but didn’t put down roots, so when the sun came up it withered just as quickly. Some fell in the weeds; as it came up, it was strangled by the weeds. Some fell on good earth, and produced a harvest beyond his wildest dreams.

“Are you listening to this? Really listening?”

Why Tell Stories?

10 The disciples came up and asked, “Why do you tell stories?”

11-15 He replied, “You’ve been given insight into God’s kingdom. You know how it works. Not everybody has this gift, this insight; it hasn’t been given to them. Whenever someone has a ready heart for this, the insights and understandings flow freely. But if there is no readiness, any trace of receptivity soon disappears. That’s why I tell stories: to create readiness, to nudge the people toward receptive insight. In their present state they can stare till doomsday and not see it, listen till they’re blue in the face and not get it. I don’t want Isaiah’s forecast repeated all over again:

Your ears are open but you don’t hear a thing.
    Your eyes are awake but you don’t see a thing.
The people are blockheads!
They stick their fingers in their ears
    so they won’t have to listen;
They screw their eyes shut
    so they won’t have to look,
    so they won’t have to deal with me face-to-face
    and let me heal them.

16-17 “But you have God-blessed eyes—eyes that see! And God-blessed ears—ears that hear! A lot of people, prophets and humble believers among them, would have given anything to see what you are seeing, to hear what you are hearing, but never had the chance.

The Meaning of the Harvest Story

18-19 “Study this story of the farmer planting seed. When anyone hears news of the kingdom and doesn’t take it in, it just remains on the surface, and so the Evil One comes along and plucks it right out of that person’s heart. This is the seed the farmer scatters on the road.

20-21 “The seed cast in the gravel—this is the person who hears and instantly responds with enthusiasm. But there is no soil of character, and so when the emotions wear off and some difficulty arrives, there is nothing to show for it.

22 “The seed cast in the weeds is the person who hears the kingdom news, but weeds of worry and illusions about getting more and wanting everything under the sun strangle what was heard, and nothing comes of it.

23 “The seed cast on good earth is the person who hears and takes in the News, and then produces a harvest beyond his wildest dreams.”

July 23, 2017

Matthew 13:24-43The Message (MSG)

24-26 He told another story. “God’s kingdom is like a farmer who planted good seed in his field. That night, while his hired men were asleep, his enemy sowed thistles all through the wheat and slipped away before dawn. When the first green shoots appeared and the grain began to form, the thistles showed up, too.

27 “The farmhands came to the farmer and said, ‘Master, that was clean seed you planted, wasn’t it? Where did these thistles come from?’

28 “He answered, ‘Some enemy did this.’

“The farmhands asked, ‘Should we weed out the thistles?’

29-30 “He said, ‘No, if you weed the thistles, you’ll pull up the wheat, too. Let them grow together until harvest time. Then I’ll instruct the harvesters to pull up the thistles and tie them in bundles for the fire, then gather the wheat and put it in the barn.’”

31-32 Another story. “God’s kingdom is like a pine nut that a farmer plants. It is quite small as seeds go, but in the course of years it grows into a huge pine tree, and eagles build nests in it.”

33 Another story. “God’s kingdom is like yeast that a woman works into the dough for dozens of loaves of barley bread—and waits while the dough rises.”

34-35 All Jesus did that day was tell stories—a long storytelling afternoon. His storytelling fulfilled the prophecy:

I will open my mouth and tell stories;
I will bring out into the open
    things hidden since the world’s first day.

The Curtain of History

36 Jesus dismissed the congregation and went into the house. His disciples came in and said, “Explain to us that story of the thistles in the field.”

37-39 So he explained. “The farmer who sows the pure seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, the pure seeds are subjects of the kingdom, the thistles are subjects of the Devil, and the enemy who sows them is the Devil. The harvest is the end of the age, the curtain of history. The harvest hands are angels.

40-43 “The picture of thistles pulled up and burned is a scene from the final act. The Son of Man will send his angels, weed out the thistles from his kingdom, pitch them in the trash, and be done with them. They are going to complain to high heaven, but nobody is going to listen. At the same time, ripe, holy lives will mature and adorn the kingdom of their Father.

“Are you listening to this? Really listening?

July 30, 2017

Matthew 13:31-52

31-32 Another story. “God’s kingdom is like a pine nut that a farmer plants. It is quite small as seeds go, but in the course of years it grows into a huge pine tree, and eagles build nests in it.”

33 Another story. “God’s kingdom is like yeast that a woman works into the dough for dozens of loaves of barley bread—and waits while the dough rises.”

34-35 All Jesus did that day was tell stories—a long storytelling afternoon. His storytelling fulfilled the prophecy:

I will open my mouth and tell stories;
I will bring out into the open
    things hidden since the world’s first day.

The Curtain of History

36 Jesus dismissed the congregation and went into the house. His disciples came in and said, “Explain to us that story of the thistles in the field.”

37-39 So he explained. “The farmer who sows the pure seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, the pure seeds are subjects of the kingdom, the thistles are subjects of the Devil, and the enemy who sows them is the Devil. The harvest is the end of the age, the curtain of history. The harvest hands are angels.

40-43 “The picture of thistles pulled up and burned is a scene from the final act. The Son of Man will send his angels, weed out the thistles from his kingdom, pitch them in the trash, and be done with them. They are going to complain to high heaven, but nobody is going to listen. At the same time, ripe, holy lives will mature and adorn the kingdom of their Father.

“Are you listening to this? Really listening?

44 “God’s kingdom is like a treasure hidden in a field for years and then accidentally found by a trespasser. The finder is ecstatic—what a find!—and proceeds to sell everything he owns to raise money and buy that field.

45-46 “Or, God’s kingdom is like a jewel merchant on the hunt for excellent pearls. Finding one that is flawless, he immediately sells everything and buys it.

47-50 “Or, God’s kingdom is like a fishnet cast into the sea, catching all kinds of fish. When it is full, it is hauled onto the beach. The good fish are picked out and put in a tub; those unfit to eat are thrown away. That’s how it will be when the curtain comes down on history. The angels will come and cull the bad fish and throw them in the garbage. There will be a lot of desperate complaining, but it won’t do any good.”

51 Jesus asked, “Are you starting to get a handle on all this?”

They answered, “Yes.”

52 He said, “Then you see how every student well-trained in God’s kingdom is like the owner of a general store who can put his hands on anything you need, old or new, exactly when you need it.”

August 6, 2017

Matthew 14:13-21

Supper for Five Thousand

13-14 When Jesus got the news, he slipped away by boat to an out-of-the-way place by himself. But unsuccessfully—someone saw him and the word got around. Soon a lot of people from the nearby villages walked around the lake to where he was. When he saw them coming, he was overcome with pity and healed their sick.

15 Toward evening the disciples approached him. “We’re out in the country and it’s getting late. Dismiss the people so they can go to the villages and get some supper.”

16 But Jesus said, “There is no need to dismiss them. You give them supper.”

17 “All we have are five loaves of bread and two fish,” they said.

18-21 Jesus said, “Bring them here.” Then he had the people sit on the grass. He took the five loaves and two fish, lifted his face to heaven in prayer, blessed, broke, and gave the bread to the disciples. The disciples then gave the food to the congregation. They all ate their fill. They gathered twelve baskets of leftovers. About five thousand were fed.

August 13, 2017

Matthew 14:22-33

Walking on the Water

22-23 As soon as the meal was finished, he insisted that the disciples get in the boat and go on ahead to the other side while he dismissed the people. With the crowd dispersed, he climbed the mountain so he could be by himself and pray. He stayed there alone, late into the night.

24-26 Meanwhile, the boat was far out to sea when the wind came up against them and they were battered by the waves. At about four o’clock in the morning, Jesus came toward them walking on the water. They were scared out of their wits. “A ghost!” they said, crying out in terror.

27 But Jesus was quick to comfort them. “Courage, it’s me. Don’t be afraid.”

28 Peter, suddenly bold, said, “Master, if it’s really you, call me to come to you on the water.”

29-30 He said, “Come ahead.”

Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus. But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink. He cried, “Master, save me!”

31 Jesus didn’t hesitate. He reached down and grabbed his hand. Then he said, “Faint-heart, what got into you?”

32-33 The two of them climbed into the boat, and the wind died down. The disciples in the boat, having watched the whole thing, worshiped Jesus, saying, “This is it! You are God’s Son for sure!”

August 20, 2017

Matthew 15:10-28

10-11 He then called the crowd together and said, “Listen, and take this to heart. It’s not what you swallow that pollutes your life, but what you vomit up.”

12 Later his disciples came and told him, “Did you know how upset the Pharisees were when they heard what you said?”

13-14 Jesus shrugged it off. “Every tree that wasn’t planted by my Father in heaven will be pulled up by its roots. Forget them. They are blind men leading blind men. When a blind man leads a blind man, they both end up in the ditch.”

15 Peter said, “I don’t get it. Put it in plain language.”

16-20 Jesus replied, “You, too? Are you being willfully stupid? Don’t you know that anything that is swallowed works its way through the intestines and is finally defecated? But what comes out of the mouth gets its start in the heart. It’s from the heart that we vomit up evil arguments, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, lies, and cussing. That’s what pollutes. Eating or not eating certain foods, washing or not washing your hands—that’s neither here nor there.”

Healing the People

21-22 From there Jesus took a trip to Tyre and Sidon. They had hardly arrived when a Canaanite woman came down from the hills and pleaded, “Mercy, Master, Son of David! My daughter is cruelly afflicted by an evil spirit.”

23 Jesus ignored her. The disciples came and complained, “Now she’s bothering us. Would you please take care of her? She’s driving us crazy.”

24 Jesus refused, telling them, “I’ve got my hands full dealing with the lost sheep of Israel.”

25 Then the woman came back to Jesus, went to her knees, and begged. “Master, help me.”

26 He said, “It’s not right to take bread out of children’s mouths and throw it to dogs.”

27 She was quick: “You’re right, Master, but beggar dogs do get scraps from the master’s table.”

28 Jesus gave in. “Oh, woman, your faith is something else. What you want is what you get!” Right then her daughter became well.

August 26, 2017

Matthew 16:13-20 (MSG)

Son of Man, Son of God

13 When Jesus arrived in the villages of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “What are people saying about who the Son of Man is?”

14 They replied, “Some think he is John the Baptizer, some say Elijah, some Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.”

15 He pressed them, “And how about you? Who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter said, “You’re the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

17-18 Jesus came back, “God bless you, Simon, son of Jonah! You didn’t get that answer out of books or from teachers. My Father in heaven, God himself, let you in on this secret of who I really am. And now I’m going to tell you who you are, really are. You are Peter, a rock. This is the rock on which I will put together my church, a church so expansive with energy that not even the gates of hell will be able to keep it out.

19 “And that’s not all. You will have complete and free access to God’s kingdom, keys to open any and every door: no more barriers between heaven and earth, earth and heaven. A yes on earth is yes in heaven. A no on earth is no in heaven.”

20 He swore the disciples to secrecy. He made them promise they would tell no one that he was the Messiah.

Sept 3, 2017

Matthew 16:21-28

You’re Not in the Driver’s Seat

21-22 Then Jesus made it clear to his disciples that it was now necessary for him to go to Jerusalem, submit to an ordeal of suffering at the hands of the religious leaders, be killed, and then on the third day be raised up alive. Peter took him in hand, protesting, “Impossible, Master! That can never be!”

23 But Jesus didn’t swerve. “Peter, get out of my way. Satan, get lost. You have no idea how God works.”

24-26 Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; Iam. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for?

27-28 “Don’t be in such a hurry to go into business for yourself. Before you know it the Son of Man will arrive with all the splendor of his Father, accompanied by an army of angels. You’ll get everything you have coming to you, a personal gift. This isn’t pie in the sky by and by. Some of you standing here are going to see it take place, see the Son of Man in kingdom glory.”

Sept. 10, 2017

Matthew 18:15-20 The Message (MSG)

15-17 “If a fellow believer hurts you, go and tell him—work it out between the two of you. If he listens, you’ve made a friend. If he won’t listen, take one or two others along so that the presence of witnesses will keep things honest, and try again. If he still won’t listen, tell the church. If he won’t listen to the church, you’ll have to start over from scratch, confront him with the need for repentance, and offer again God’s forgiving love.

18-20 “Take this most seriously: A yes on earth is yes in heaven; a no on earth is no in heaven. What you say to one another is eternal. I mean this. When two of you get together on anything at all on earth and make a prayer of it, my Father in heaven goes into action. And when two or three of you are together because of me, you can be sure that I’ll be there.”

Sept. 17, 2017

Matthew 18:21-35The Message (MSG)

A Story About Forgiveness

21 At that point Peter got up the nerve to ask, “Master, how many times do I forgive a brother or sister who hurts me? Seven?”

22 Jesus replied, “Seven! Hardly. Try seventy times seven.

23-25 “The kingdom of God is like a king who decided to square accounts with his servants. As he got under way, one servant was brought before him who had run up a debt of a hundred thousand dollars. He couldn’t pay up, so the king ordered the man, along with his wife, children, and goods, to be auctioned off at the slave market.

26-27 “The poor wretch threw himself at the king’s feet and begged, ‘Give me a chance and I’ll pay it all back.’ Touched by his plea, the king let him off, erasing the debt.

28 “The servant was no sooner out of the room when he came upon one of his fellow servants who owed him ten dollars. He seized him by the throat and demanded, ‘Pay up. Now!’

29-31 “The poor wretch threw himself down and begged, ‘Give me a chance and I’ll pay it all back.’ But he wouldn’t do it. He had him arrested and put in jail until the debt was paid. When the other servants saw this going on, they were outraged and brought a detailed report to the king.

32-35 “The king summoned the man and said, ‘You evil servant! I forgave your entire debt when you begged me for mercy. Shouldn’t you be compelled to be merciful to your fellow servant who asked for mercy?’ The king was furious and put the screws to the man until he paid back his entire debt. And that’s exactly what my Father in heaven is going to do to each one of you who doesn’t forgive unconditionally anyone who asks for mercy.”

Sept 24, 2017

Matthew 20:1-16The Message (MSG)

A Story About Workers

20 1-2 “God’s kingdom is like an estate manager who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. They agreed on a wage of a dollar a day, and went to work.

3-5 “Later, about nine o’clock, the manager saw some other men hanging around the town square unemployed. He told them to go to work in his vineyard and he would pay them a fair wage. They went.

5-6 “He did the same thing at noon, and again at three o’clock. At five o’clock he went back and found still others standing around. He said, ‘Why are you standing around all day doing nothing?’

“They said, ‘Because no one hired us.’

“He told them to go to work in his vineyard.

“When the day’s work was over, the owner of the vineyard instructed his foreman, ‘Call the workers in and pay them their wages. Start with the last hired and go on to the first.’

9-12 “Those hired at five o’clock came up and were each given a dollar. When those who were hired first saw that, they assumed they would get far more. But they got the same, each of them one dollar. Taking the dollar, they groused angrily to the manager, ‘These last workers put in only one easy hour, and you just made them equal to us, who slaved all day under a scorching sun.’

13-15 “He replied to the one speaking for the rest, ‘Friend, I haven’t been unfair. We agreed on the wage of a dollar, didn’t we? So take it and go. I decided to give to the one who came last the same as you. Can’t I do what I want with my own money? Are you going to get stingy because I am generous?’

16 “Here it is again, the Great Reversal: many of the first ending up last, and the last first.”

October 1, 2017

—Amuzgo de Guerrero (AMU)— Amuzgo de Guerrero (AMU)   —العربية (AR)— Arabic Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-AR) Ketab El Hayat (NAV)   —अवधी (AWA)— Awadhi Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-AWA)   —Български (BG)— 1940 Bulgarian Bible (BG1940) Bulgarian Bible (BULG) Bulgarian New Testament: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-BG) Библия, нов превод от оригиналните езици (с неканоничните книги) (CBT) Библия, синодално издание (BOB) Библия, ревизирано издание (BPB)   —Chinanteco de Comaltepec (CCO)— Chinanteco de Comaltepec (CCO)   —Cebuano (CEB)— Ang Pulong Sa Dios (APSD-CEB)   —ᏣᎳᎩ ᎦᏬᏂᎯᏍ (CHR)— Cherokee New Testament (CHR)   —Cakchiquel Occidental (CKW)— Cakchiquel Occidental (CKW)   —Čeština (CS)— Bible 21 (B21) Slovo na cestu (SNC)   —Cymraeg (CY)— Beibl William Morgan (BWM)   —Dansk (DA)— Bibelen på hverdagsdansk (BPH) Dette er Biblen på dansk (DN1933)   —Deutsch (DE)— Hoffnung für Alle (HOF) Luther Bibel 1545 (LUTH1545) Neue Genfer Übersetzung (NGU-DE) Schlachter 1951 (SCH1951) Schlachter 2000 (SCH2000)   —English (EN)— 21st Century King James Version (KJ21) American Standard Version (ASV) Amplified Bible (AMP) Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC) BRG Bible (BRG) Christian Standard Bible (CSB) Common English Bible (CEB) Complete Jewish Bible (CJB) Contemporary English Version (CEV) Darby Translation (DARBY) Disciples’ Literal New Testament (DLNT) Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA) Easy-to-Read Version (ERV) English Standard Version (ESV) English Standard Version Anglicised (ESVUK) Expanded Bible (EXB) 1599 Geneva Bible (GNV) GOD’S WORD Translation (GW) Good News Translation (GNT) Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) International Children’s Bible (ICB) International Standard Version (ISV) J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS) Jubilee Bible 2000 (JUB) King James Version (KJV) Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV) Lexham English Bible (LEB) Living Bible (TLB) The Message (MSG) Modern English Version (MEV) Mounce Reverse-Interlinear New Testament (MOUNCE) Names of God Bible (NOG) New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE) New American Standard Bible (NASB) New Century Version (NCV) New English Translation (NET Bible) New International Reader's Version (NIRV) New International Version (NIV) New International Version - UK (NIVUK) New King James Version (NKJV) New Life Version (NLV) New Living Translation (NLT) New Matthew Bible (NMB) New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised (NRSVA) New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised Catholic Edition (NRSVACE) New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE) New Testament for Everyone (NTE) Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB) Revised Standard Version (RSV) Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE) Tree of Life Version (TLV) The Voice (VOICE) World English Bible (WEB) Worldwide English (New Testament) (WE) Wycliffe Bible (WYC) Young's Literal Translation (YLT)   —Español (ES)— La Biblia de las Américas (LBLA) Dios Habla Hoy (DHH) Jubilee Bible 2000 (Spanish) (JBS) Nueva Biblia al Día (NBD) Nueva Biblia Latinoamericana de Hoy (NBLH) Nueva Traducción Viviente (NTV) Nueva Versión Internacional (NVI) Nueva Versión Internacional (Castilian) (CST) Palabra de Dios para Todos (PDT) La Palabra (España) (BLP) La Palabra (Hispanoamérica) (BLPH) Reina Valera Actualizada (RVA-2015) Reina Valera Contemporánea (RVC) Reina-Valera 1960 (RVR1960) Reina Valera 1977 (RVR1977) Reina-Valera 1995 (RVR1995) Reina-Valera Antigua (RVA) Spanish Blue Red and Gold Letter Edition (SRV-BRG) Traducción en lenguaje actual (TLA)   —Suomi (FI)— Raamattu 1933/38 (R1933)   —Français (FR)— La Bible du Semeur (BDS) Louis Segond (LSG) Nouvelle Edition de Genève – NEG1979 (NEG1979) Segond 21 (SG21)   —Κοινη (GRC)— 1550 Stephanus New Testament (TR1550) 1881 Westcott-Hort New Testament (WHNU) 1894 Scrivener New Testament (TR1894) SBL Greek New Testament (SBLGNT)   —עברית (HE)— Habrit Hakhadasha/Haderekh (HHH) The Westminster Leningrad Codex (WLC)   —हिन्दी (HI)— Hindi Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-HI)   —Ilonggo (HIL)— Ang Pulong Sang Dios (HLGN)   —Hrvatski (HR)— Hrvatski Novi Zavjet – Rijeka 2001 (HNZ-RI) Knijga O Kristu (CRO)   —Kreyòl ayisyen (HT)— Haitian Creole Version (HCV)   —Magyar (HU)— Hungarian Károli (KAR) Hungarian Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-HU) Hungarian New Translation (NT-HU)   —Hawai‘i Pidgin (HWC)— Hawai‘i Pidgin (HWP)   —Íslenska (IS)— Icelandic Bible (ICELAND)   —Italiano (IT)— La Bibbia della Gioia (BDG) Conferenza Episcopale Italiana (CEI) La Nuova Diodati (LND) Nuova Riveduta 1994 (NR1994) Nuova Riveduta 2006 (NR2006)   —日本語 (JA)— Japanese Living Bible (JLB)   —Jacalteco, Oriental (JAC)— Jacalteco, Oriental (JAC)   —Kekchi (KEK)— Kekchi (KEK)   —한국어 (KO)— Korean Living Bible (KLB)   —Latina (LA)— Biblia Sacra Vulgata (VULGATE)   —Māori (MI)— Maori Bible (MAORI)   —Македонски (MK)— Macedonian New Testament (MNT)   —मराठी (MR)— Marathi Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-MR)   —Mam, Central (MVC)— Mam, Central (MVC)   —Mam, Todos Santos (MVJ)— Mam de Todos Santos Chuchumatán (MVJ)   —Plautdietsch (NDS)— Reimer 2001 (REIMER)   —नेपाली (NE)— Nepali Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-NE)   —Náhuatl de Guerrero (NGU)— Náhuatl de Guerrero (NGU)   —Nederlands (NL)— Het Boek (HTB)   —Norsk (NO)— Det Norsk Bibelselskap 1930 (DNB1930) En Levende Bok (LB)   —ଓଡ଼ିଆ (OR)— Oriya Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-OR)   —ਪੰਜਾਬੀ (PA)— Punjabi Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-PA)   —Polski (PL)— Nowe Przymierze (NP) Słowo Życia (SZ-PL) Updated Gdańsk Bible (UBG)   —Nawat (PPL)— Ne Bibliaj Tik Nawat (NBTN)   —Português (PT)— Almeida Revista e Corrigida 2009 (ARC) Nova Traduҫão na Linguagem de Hoje 2000 (NTLH) Nova Versão Internacional (NVI-PT) O Livro (OL) Portuguese New Testament: Easy-to-Read Version (VFL)   —Quichua (QU)— Mushuj Testamento Diospaj Shimi (MTDS)   —Quiché, Centro Occidenta (QUT)— Quiché, Centro Occidental (QUT)   —Română (RO)— Cornilescu 1924 - Revised 2010, 2014 (RMNN) Nouă Traducere În Limba Română (NTLR)   —Русский (RU)— New Russian Translation (NRT) Священное Писание (Восточный Перевод) (CARS) Священное Писание (Восточный перевод), версия для Таджикистана (CARST) Священное Писание (Восточный перевод), версия с «Аллахом» (CARSA) Russian New Testament: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-RU) Russian Synodal Version (RUSV)   —Slovenčina (SK)— Nádej pre kazdého (NPK)   —Somali (SO)— Somali Bible (SOM)   —Shqip (SQ)— Albanian Bible (ALB)   —Српски (SR)— Serbian New Testament: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-SR)   —Svenska (SV)— Nya Levande Bibeln (SVL) Svenska 1917 (SV1917) Svenska Folkbibeln (SFB) Svenska Folkbibeln 2015 (SFB15)   —Kiswahili (SW)— Neno: Bibilia Takatifu (SNT)   —தமிழ் (TA)— Tamil Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-TA)   —ภาษาไทย (TH)— Thai New Contemporary Bible (TNCV) Thai New Testament: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-TH)   —Tagalog (TL)— Ang Bagong Tipan: Filipino Standard Version (FSV) Ang Dating Biblia (1905) (ADB1905) Ang Salita ng Diyos (SND) Magandang Balita Biblia (MBBTAG) Magandang Balita Biblia (with Deuterocanon) (MBBTAG-DC)   —Twi (TWI)— Nkwa Asem (NA-TWI)   —Українська (UK)— Ukrainian Bible (UKR) Ukrainian New Testament: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-UK)   —اردو (UR)— Urdu Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-UR)   —Uspanteco (USP)— Uspanteco (USP)   —Tiêng Viêt (VI)— 1934 Vietnamese Bible (VIET) Bản Dịch 2011 (BD2011) New Vietnamese Bible (NVB) Vietnamese Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (BPT)   —汉语 (ZH)— Chinese Contemporary Bible (Simplified) (CCB) Chinese Contemporary Bible (Traditional) (CCBT) Chinese New Testament: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-ZH) Chinese New Version (Simplified) (CNVS) Chinese New Version (Traditional) (CNVT) Chinese Standard Bible (Simplified) (CSBS) Chinese Standard Bible (Traditional) (CSBT) Chinese Union Version (Simplified) (CUVS) Chinese Union Version (Traditional) (CUV) Chinese Union Version Modern Punctuation (Simplified) (CUVMPS) Chinese Union Version Modern Punctuation (Traditional) (CUVMPT) 

Matthew 21:23-32The Message (MSG)

True Authority

23 Then he was back in the Temple, teaching. The high priests and leaders of the people came up and demanded, “Show us your credentials. Who authorized you to teach here?”

24-25 Jesus responded, “First let me ask you a question. You answer my question and I’ll answer yours. About the baptism of John—who authorized it: heaven or humans?”

25-27 They were on the spot and knew it. They pulled back into a huddle and whispered, “If we say ‘heaven,’ he’ll ask us why we didn’t believe him; if we say ‘humans,’ we’re up against it with the people because they all hold John up as a prophet.” They decided to concede that round to Jesus. “We don’t know,” they answered.

Jesus said, “Then neither will I answer your question.

The Story of Two Sons

28 “Tell me what you think of this story: A man had two sons. He went up to the first and said, ‘Son, go out for the day and work in the vineyard.’

29 “The son answered, ‘I don’t want to.’ Later on he thought better of it and went.

30 “The father gave the same command to the second son. He answered, ‘Sure, glad to.’ But he never went.

31-32 “Which of the two sons did what the father asked?”

They said, “The first.”

Jesus said, “Yes, and I tell you that crooks and whores are going to precede you into God’s kingdom. John came to you showing you the right road. You turned up your noses at him, but the crooks and whores believed him. Even when you saw their changed lives, you didn’t care enough to change and believe him.

October 8, 2017

Matthew 21:33-46    The Message (MSG)

The Story of the Greedy Farmhands

33-34 “Here’s another story. Listen closely. There was once a man, a wealthy farmer, who planted a vineyard. He fenced it, dug a winepress, put up a watchtower, then turned it over to the farmhands and went off on a trip. When it was time to harvest the grapes, he sent his servants back to collect his profits.

35-37 “The farmhands grabbed the first servant and beat him up. The next one they murdered. They threw stones at the third but he got away. The owner tried again, sending more servants. They got the same treatment. The owner was at the end of his rope. He decided to send his son. ‘Surely,’ he thought, ‘they will respect my son.’

38-39 “But when the farmhands saw the son arrive, they rubbed their hands in greed. ‘This is the heir! Let’s kill him and have it all for ourselves.’ They grabbed him, threw him out, and killed him.

40 “Now, when the owner of the vineyard arrives home from his trip, what do you think he will do to the farmhands?”

41 “He’ll kill them—a rotten bunch, and good riddance,” they answered. “Then he’ll assign the vineyard to farmhands who will hand over the profits when it’s time.”

42-44 Jesus said, “Right—and you can read it for yourselves in your Bibles:

The stone the masons threw out
    is now the cornerstone.
This is God’s work;
    we rub our eyes, we can hardly believe it!

“This is the way it is with you. God’s kingdom will be taken back from you and handed over to a people who will live out a kingdom life. Whoever stumbles on this Stone gets shattered; whoever the Stone falls on gets smashed.”

45-46 When the religious leaders heard this story, they knew it was aimed at them. They wanted to arrest Jesus and put him in jail, but, intimidated by public opinion, they held back. Most people held him to be a prophet of God.

October 15, 2017

Matthew 22:1-14   The Message (MSG)

The Story of the Wedding Banquet

22 1-3 Jesus responded by telling still more stories. “God’s kingdom,” he said, “is like a king who threw a wedding banquet for his son. He sent out servants to call in all the invited guests. And they wouldn’t come!

“He sent out another round of servants, instructing them to tell the guests, ‘Look, everything is on the table, the prime rib is ready for carving. Come to the feast!’

5-7 “They only shrugged their shoulders and went off, one to weed his garden, another to work in his shop. The rest, with nothing better to do, beat up on the messengers and then killed them. The king was outraged and sent his soldiers to destroy those thugs and level their city.

8-10 “Then he told his servants, ‘We have a wedding banquet all prepared but no guests. The ones I invited weren’t up to it. Go out into the busiest intersections in town and invite anyone you find to the banquet.’ The servants went out on the streets and rounded up everyone they laid eyes on, good and bad, regardless. And so the banquet was on—every place filled.

11-13 “When the king entered and looked over the scene, he spotted a man who wasn’t properly dressed. He said to him, ‘Friend, how dare you come in here looking like that!’ The man was speechless. Then the king told his servants, ‘Get him out of here—fast. Tie him up and ship him to hell. And make sure he doesn’t get back in.’

14 “That’s what I mean when I say, ‘Many get invited; only a few make it.’”

October 22, 2017

Matthew 22:15-22  The Message (MSG)

Paying Taxes

15-17 That’s when the Pharisees plotted a way to trap him into saying something damaging. They sent their disciples, with a few of Herod’s followers mixed in, to ask, “Teacher, we know you have integrity, teach the way of God accurately, are indifferent to popular opinion, and don’t pander to your students. So tell us honestly: Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?”

18-19 Jesus knew they were up to no good. He said, “Why are you playing these games with me? Why are you trying to trap me? Do you have a coin? Let me see it.” They handed him a silver piece.

20 “This engraving—who does it look like? And whose name is on it?”

21 They said, “Caesar.”

“Then give Caesar what is his, and give God what is his.”

22 The Pharisees were speechless. They went off shaking their heads.

October 29, 2017

Matthew 22:34-46  The Message (MSG)

The Most Important Command

34-36 When the Pharisees heard how he had bested the Sadducees, they gathered their forces for an assault. One of their religion scholars spoke for them, posing a question they hoped would show him up: “Teacher, which command in God’s Law is the most important?”

37-40 Jesus said, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.’ This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: ‘Love others as well as you love yourself.’ These two commands are pegs; everything in God’s Law and the Prophets hangs from them.”

David’s Son and Master

41-42 As the Pharisees were regrouping, Jesus caught them off balance with his own test question: “What do you think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said, “David’s son.”

43-45 Jesus replied, “Well, if the Christ is David’s son, how do you explain that David, under inspiration, named Christ his ‘Master’?

God said to my Master,
    “Sit here at my right hand
    until I make your enemies your footstool.”

“Now if David calls him ‘Master,’ how can he at the same time be his son?”

46 That stumped them, literalists that they were. Unwilling to risk losing face again in one of these public verbal exchanges, they quit asking questions for good.

November 5, 2017

Matthew 23:1-12  The Message (MSG)

Religious Fashion Shows

23 1-3 Now Jesus turned to address his disciples, along with the crowd that had gathered with them. “The religion scholars and Pharisees are competent teachers in God’s Law. You won’t go wrong in following their teachings on Moses. But be careful about following them. They talk a good line, but they don’t live it. They don’t take it into their hearts and live it out in their behavior. It’s all spit-and-polish veneer.

4-7 “Instead of giving you God’s Law as food and drink by which you can banquet on God, they package it in bundles of rules, loading you down like pack animals. They seem to take pleasure in watching you stagger under these loads, and wouldn’t think of lifting a finger to help. Their lives are perpetual fashion shows, embroidered prayer shawls one day and flowery prayers the next. They love to sit at the head table at church dinners, basking in the most prominent positions, preening in the radiance of public flattery, receiving honorary degrees, and getting called ‘Doctor’ and ‘Reverend.’

8-10 “Don’t let people do that to you, put you on a pedestal like that. You all have a single Teacher, and you are all classmates. Don’t set people up as experts over your life, letting them tell you what to do. Save that authority for God; let him tell you what to do. No one else should carry the title of ‘Father’; you have only one Father, and he’s in heaven. And don’t let people maneuver you into taking charge of them. There is only one Life-Leader for you and them—Christ.

11-12 “Do you want to stand out? Then step down. Be a servant. If you puff yourself up, you’ll get the wind knocked out of you. But if you’re content to simply be yourself, your life will count for plenty.

• 2 weeks later...

Nov 12, 2017

Matthew 25:1-13The Message (MSG)

The Story of the Virgins

25 1-5 “God’s kingdom is like ten young virgins who took oil lamps and went out to greet the bridegroom. Five were silly and five were smart. The silly virgins took lamps, but no extra oil. The smart virgins took jars of oil to feed their lamps. The bridegroom didn’t show up when they expected him, and they all fell asleep.

“In the middle of the night someone yelled out, ‘He’s here! The bride-groom’s here! Go out and greet him!’

7-8 “The ten virgins got up and got their lamps ready. The silly virgins said to the smart ones, ‘Our lamps are going out; lend us some of your oil.’

“They answered, ‘There might not be enough to go around; go buy your own.’

10 “They did, but while they were out buying oil, the bridegroom arrived. When everyone who was there to greet him had gone into the wedding feast, the door was locked.

11 “Much later, the other virgins, the silly ones, showed up and knocked on the door, saying, ‘Master, we’re here. Let us in.’

12 “He answered, ‘Do I know you? I don’t think I know you.’

13 “So stay alert. You have no idea when he might arrive.

Hi Burl,

I've only recently found this forum, and this set of lectionaries. 

I enjoyed reading them from the beginning, including your attempts to stimulate discussion. Having recently grappled (unsuccessfully) with biblical hermeneutics, I was interested in exploring interpretations from a PC standpoint, and many of the readings are precisely the ones that both resonate with me and seem to be ignored or misinterpreted, in my opinion, by many Christians.

But I noticed some changes occurred as I progressed through the thread. The discussions have ceased, and the bible version seems to have changed to a modern, 'easy-to-read' one that incorporates its own interpretation, rather than inviting one.

Are both of these changes intentional or incidental? Are you still attempting to stimulate discussion, or is this serving a different purpose? I wonder if there are some further details you could offer in your introduction regarding what you hope to achieve here...

Previous discussions seemed to get caught up in the idea of an 'original version' of the writings, and the assumption that when one offers their opinion they are trying to persuade others to agree with them. There is a tendency for those 'discussing' to attempt to provide some kind of solid, widely accepted basis for their opinion - but the problem is that no such solid ground exists in spirituality, so this seems a pointless exercise to me.

All we can do is share our own subjective experience of the text (which in itself is an attempt to share subjective experience and form a basis of 'truth'), and recognise that there is no 'truth' or 'fact' - only an interconnection of a variety of experiences. Perhaps 'debate' is not how we should approach this particular thread, although I am not so naive as to think it can be avoided completely.

I like BillM's idea: perhaps this is an opportunity to offer our personal interpretation of how a particular reading resonates with our own lives and our understanding of Progressive Christianity, of 'God' and of our experiences with traditional Christianity. Maybe we can enter discussions in this thread acknowledging that:

- there is no 'correct' or 'original' wording or interpretation of scripture that can be agreed upon;

- any interpretation of scripture is a personal one, based on the sum of our own personal experiences including what we think we know;

- all we can offer to these discussions is opinion and personal experience, not facts, evidence or truth.

Or perhaps I am being too naive...

• Upvote 1

The changes were intentional.  I have always waited for someone else to start the discussion because I do not want to push my ideas too far forward and turn this into a bible study but few members seem interested in what Jesus is reported to have taught and did.  

I changed to The Message because it reads clearly and is an unfamiliar translation.  I thought this would be both accessible and stimulating.  I also limited my posts to Gospel readings as they more closely conform to the PC concept of staying close to Jesus as a teacher and role model.  OT, Psalms, Proverbs and epistles are less direct.

I do wish there was more discussion.  To me, the single most interesting thing about this week's reading is that Jesus is teaching by using fiction.  This event never happened.  It is not literally true, but it teaches with a wisdom which is beyond mere facts.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:34 PM, possibility said:

- there is no 'correct' or 'original' wording or interpretation of scripture that can be agreed upon;

- any interpretation of scripture is a personal one, based on the sum of our own personal experiences including what we think we know;

- all we can offer to these discussions is opinion and personal experience, not facts, evidence or truth.

Or perhaps I am being too naive...

First, welcome.

I agree that it is valid and important to have discussions concerning our subjective take on biblical texts.

Not sure though if I agree that 'any interpretation is a personal one......based on personal experience." Or, would the interpretation be better, even more helpful, if we tried to know more? One is certainly free to have any interpretation but there are people, good people, who have learned ancient languages, studied and researched for decades and spend their lifetime studying the Bible. Certainly, it can be said, even they bring their 'experience' to their work, but it is also obvious that they try to let the 'evidence' speak and try to figure out whether we are taking about the authentic words of Jesus or later additions or interpretations by Christian communities (and it is not just opinion, they are obliged to 'state their case', present their 'evidence' before their peers - like professionals in other disciplines).  Plus, there is some consensus among some/many of the critical biblical scholars and historians. So, I think, although not necessary, it is important to have some awareness of this work - depending on one's time and interest.  

Some examples: were some (many, all?) of the conflicts with the Jews reflective of Jesus' experience or were they experiences of the later Christian writers/communities?   Can we then consider whether or not the Jews yelled 'kill him' or whether Pilate (and Rome) really washed their hands of the death of this innocent man -with responsibility for his death then falling squarely on the Jews?  And what would the different interpretations mean , or have they meant, for the treatment of the Jews throughout history? Or the biblical passages on homosexuality, slavery or women. Were they reflective ofJesus (or God) and if so are we bound as believers to those words? Specifically, on women, does it matter if one has the personal opinion or interpretation that all the epistles attributed to Paul were written by him  - or is it important to know that scholars believe that some of those letters were definitely not by Paul's hand and others are still questionable? What would (did) the different interpretations mean for women throughout Christian and western history?  And finally, did Jesus preached the Kingdom of God as we have come to think of heaven in Christianity or did he preach a Kingdom that would be Here, on earth - and that had already begun. Would difference interpretations affect the way we pray, the way we worship, the way we see this world, even what we tell loved ones of family member who has died, "that they have gone to a better place." If he preached that the Kingdom was meant to be established here, what could be better? And on and on. 

All of the parables are concerned with the realization of the Kingdom of God.  Conscious contact.  Enlightenment.

The parable of the ten virgins is about the need to be constantly attuned to the possibility of spiritual reality and not distracted by mundane existence.

58 minutes ago, Burl said:

All of the parables are concerned with the realization of the Kingdom of God.  Conscious contact.  Enlightenment.

The parable of the ten virgins is about the need to be constantly attuned to the possibility of spiritual reality and not distracted by mundane existence.

.........and that's the parables, I was referring broadly to the scriptures