Welcome!

Guest admin

Try hornets, wasps and yellow jackets. I've been a butcher today. :( They are overwhelming my yard!

My hubby took a couple of days off and for the past three days we have been staining our redwood fence. I've been pulling weeds (mostly dandelions) and transplanting flowers.

I love spring!

Yayyyyy, yard work!

Oh, gosh... I've been doing a lot of it. I love spring and I love to garden.

We have an early spring happening here this year, and I've been transplanting bulbs and moving other plants around. This is our second spring in this house, so there's a lot to be done.

Aletheia, I have a nest of bumblebees under the rafters of my shed, which is where I am preparing one of my flower beds, and the sidewalk just in front of it is a main thoroughfare for moving from the front to the back of the yard. The bees think this is all their territory, and they're making a terrible fuss at me while I try to work there. So far they are all buzz and no sting. Hopefully I can get it all done soon so they can go back to just bee-ing :)

I wasn't counting the dandelions! Oh no! :o Thanks Cythia! :P I guess I must also count all the itty bitty teeny weeny elm tree saplings I've yanked up today as well. I hope I'm earning good karma points with all the earth worms I keep saving. ;)

I truly hate killing the bees. I don't touch honey bees or bumble bees (because I'm prejudiced and I like them), but I HATE hornets. The dang things won't take no for an answer and they are building nests inside the siding on my house (also on the redwood fence, in the trees and inside the shed).

I bought some forsythia bushes to plant along the fence in the back yard but am now rethinking doing that. The idea of drawing MORE bees to the yard with a bush that is nothing but yellow flowers in the spring is NOT appealing. We have cherry, peach and apple trees that are all in bloom which are provinding PLENTY of nectar for the little critters without me adding to their all you can eat buffet. :rolleyes:

Edited by AletheiaRivers

Thanks for the new forum!!

Yes, I feel karmac (carmac, karmacly-- I give :-)) free. I live in NM and have a yard that is zeroscaped (yes, the actual term is xeriscape-- means native dry plants, rocks, etc.-- well I have nothing, so it's zeroscaped :-)). Anyway, each year I have the "gardener" come and slash all the weeds a few times. Yes, this year due to rain they are bigger than ever. And each year I get a new and different variety I have never seen before.

I am thinking of planting a small herb garden as I love herbs in my cooking, though.

--des

This is great! Most of my life is off-topic!

Our son is visiting from Seattle so we forced him to help us put in a coy pond. :D I wonder if we can attach pictures to these messages?

We walked down to the little 'natural' pond on the side of the road leading to our house with a bucket and a cast net. The second cast I caught four fairly large fish which are now at the bottom of our new pond. We're thinking that we won't be able to get them out now that they have a home there and that they will always lurk on the bottom waiting for us to throw coy fish in for their supper. :(

Our little falls running into the pond is great! Wonder why the sound of water hitting rocks is so peaceful?

Panta - I added some new coy yesterday! If we open our bedroom window we can hear the waterfall... it is fabulous! I'm pretty sure these ants can read. They're not interested in food and they're immune to poison.... uberants! :P

My tomatoes are blooming :D:D:D