Hello

Burl

Hello. I joined this group because it seems intimate. I was brought up Roman Catholic where I had my knuckles rulered for muttering "Dominick packs Nabiscos" and "myfadderplaysdominoesbetter'nyourfadderplaysdominoes" during Mass. My seminary education was Wesleyan, which I find to be a healthy, productive and balanced framework.

I would describe myself as both conservative and open-minded. I'm not quite sure what a progressive Christian is, so this should be enlightening. Every time I have had a progressive realization I discovered someone else had it centuries earlier.

• Upvote 1

Burl welcome, A progressive Christian I feel is a Christian who is moving, growing evolving physically, mentally and spiritually. We might not want to grow physically, but we are fortunately and unfortunately. I think the same applies to the mind. The soul just is. I see you come with a sense of humor. Cheers. May we laugh and explore the angles and dimensions together.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I find Christianity a very simple and productive religion, but it is sort of like a junk shop that hasn't been tidied up in 2,000 years. It's often difficult to locate the truth under all the clutter.

I agree Burl the church is losing intellectuals and the young very fast. Our Christian way of life does not mean we have to leave our logical mind to have a dogmatic grasp of truth. We just need to integrate our Christian traditions with smart, scientific understanding, spiritual discernment and the all-inclusive, all-embracing Christian wisdom that is open to new ways of thinking that direct us beyond the mind. Let's keep the simple Christian truth of the Divinity within, but allow it to emerge up and outward as individuals embody and represent it in a higher revelation instead of being loyal to rigid policies, rules and sets of law.

Welcome Burl,

I hope you enjoying participating here.

I too have found that much progressive thought and scholarly enlightenment has been around for a long, long time. It's shame much of this information hasn't be widely shared.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks, Paul. I'm flattered.

Western Australia is famous among woodturners for great burls. Jarrah burl, mallee burl, coolibah burl. And you're writing all this way for a burl from Florida. Who'da thunk it?

Well, I had no idea our humble jarrah tree had made a name for itself with its burls all the way over there in the US. I know when I was over there in the 90's that San Diego had a lot of eucalyptus growing there - does jarrah happen to grow anywhere in North America too?

Well, I had no idea our humble jarrah tree had made a name for itself with its burls all the way over there in the US. I know when I was over there in the 90's that San Diego had a lot of eucalyptus growing there - does jarrah happen to grow anywhere in North America too?

Nope. We have native oak, walnut and ironwood burl which are world class, and an astounding variety of figured maples but no jarrah.

Australian burls command astounding prices here and are in much demand by turners. Exceptionaly grand lathe tucker. I've made several presentation chalices, but don't know how to attach a pic to this software.

Edited by Burl

Burl,

If you have it stored as a URL somewhere just click on IMAGE in the "reply to this topic" box and reference the URL.

Like This ... https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=346C40A0ACA16499&resid=346C40A0ACA16499%21172&authkey=AG121az_XAWp_dA

or you can use LINK LIKE THIS

or just copy and paste like this

JoeIguana.jpg?psid=1&width=213&height=15

I'll try again. Seems my files are too big to upload. 25k max? We need some loaves and fishes style action around here.

. . . . .

150 px sq and still too big? Is my ex-wife on this site? ;-)

. . . . .

BTW, cute kid. Looks just like her dad :-)

Nope. We have native oak, walnut and ironwood burl which are world class, and an astounding variety of figured maples but no jarrah.

Australian burls command astounding prices here and are in much demand by turners. Exceptionaly grand lathe tucker. I've made several presentation chalices, but don't know how to attach a pic to this software.

I might have to stop throwing them in my wood-fired pizza oven then!

Paul, when I finally get an image up you will be tempted to sell your pizza oven and buy a wood lathe. Australia is probably the greatest country in the world for turners.

Paul, when I finally get an image up you will be tempted to sell your pizza oven and buy a wood lathe. Australia is probably the greatest country in the world for turners.

I had no idea Burl. I look forward to an image sometime.

Paul

I think its not the jarrah wood that is expensive as it is common in Australia ... only the burl of those abnormal ones. They do make wonderful vases and Cigar Humidors that are quite expensive here. Even a small slice 2 " thick can run over $100 .

Eucalypt-wood-tree-burl-vase_large.JPG?4carved-wood-burl_large.JPG?475

handmade-burl-bowl_large.JPG?481

image.jpgphotos upload

A retirement award for a Dean of a theology school. Ebony and some burl - I use miscellaneous cut-offs from the scrap bin.

I know it's too big. Mea culpa. Moses only used text so tablets were sufficient, but images and tablets are a different story.

Edited by Burl