JosephM

Presidential Poll

Forum members preference for the next US President  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not really interested in debating Trump, Rom.  As a foreigner, I think he lacks any finesse whatsoever about how to get along with neighbours and allies and has a very narrow-minded agenda at heart.  If "let's make America great again" means to the detriment of every other country, then Trump and his followers can have that kind of America.  Personally, I think it is the beginning of the end of the United States as a world power.  It sends chills up my spine that people can even consider this guy's behaviour as acceptable.

3 hours ago, PaulS said:

I'm not really interested in debating Trump, Rom.

It's not a question of debating, more concern for a friend injuring themselves.

10 hours ago, romansh said:

It's not a question of debating, more concern for a friend injuring themselves.

A nice analogy.  I have that concern, but what do you do when your friend can't see the woods for the trees!  I find it staggering that anybody can support this man's rudeness, his complete lack of compassion, his ignorance, his racism, his bullying, and his total disregard for everybody else in the world.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:26 PM, romansh said:

With the latest Trump policy, that passes as debacle in most of the Western world, do we in our communities support the policy, criticize the policy or do we stand by silently?

Perhaps we wonder at Trump's wonderful negotiating skills. And how do we reconcile this with the views we hold important?

What latest  policy that pasess as a debacle for you are you referring to?

On 5/12/2018 at 1:31 AM, JosephM said:

If i were from Canada or another country and read the news as reported i would share your view of him.

If a news channel reports that an earthquake killed 1000 people, when in fact, only 800 died, does that mean that everyone was, in fact, safe and nothing bad happened?

The pro-Trump case is always based on this distortion of reality, the claim that if someone exarrogates Trumps negatives, it somehow means that the said negatives don't exist at all.

The thing is, someone abroad doesn't need to have any particular news channels perspective on Trump to be bitterly opposed to him. All one has to do is to watch live coverage of his rallies and read his twitter feed and talk to his supporters and that will do it. During the election, I listened to Trumps own words, I read his twitter feed, I talked to his supporters and in few months that convinced me (based on my 20 years amateur interest in history and some knowledge of cults) that this is a very dangerous man, who, if left unchecked would damage the American republic beyond repair. To this day I have seen nothing that would prove my initial conclusion incorrect.

Edit:

Food for thought: During the rise of Putin, before he was a dictator, I talked to some Russians about politics and expressed alarm about Putin's dictatorial tendencies (again, based on my amateur interest of history). Their position was always the same "It's the Western media" The Western media says Putin is a bad guy. That's just the Western media. Western media is to blame.

Today Putin is a dictator. Probably the "Western media" got something right.

Edited by Jack of Spades