1. 1. Who do you want to see for the next US President

• Clinton
    • Cruz
    • Kasich
    • Sanders
    • Trump
    • None of the above

This poll is closed to new votes

It strikes me how much Trump is a replay of the final Hebrew judge, Samson.

Samson was irreligious, profane and a cheater yet he was the annointed political leader. Yuuuugge ego. Strong but rather dim. Samson was even famous for ignoring his religious vows and just grabbing the honeycomb.

Samson successfully destroyed the pagan Temple of Dagon by toppling the two pillars much as Trump has destroyed the thoroughly corrupt Democratic and Republican pillars of the pagan UniParty.

And the importance of the hair??? Case closed.

And like all myths, the reality is often far from the truth I would suggest. Samson for instance is a glorified view - a heroic story to inspire.

The reality is that people are usually a lot less than the myth portrays.

As for 'destroying' the political establishment, time will tell but I wouldn't be expecting much different in the long term.

• 5 months later...
21 hours ago, romansh said:

Six months in ... how is God's divine vessel doing?

Better than expected for a student driver.  ISIS is out of Iraq and we are getting out of Syria, both big improvements in world peace.  TPP and NAFTA are cancelled.  Global fascist control is now a lost cause in large part because of Trump. 

I don't remember another President with this many merit badges on his sleeve in only six months.  Slow start on voter fraud reform and human trafficking/pedophilia though.

The real test will be how well Trump is able to cushion the hard landing the US is taking as the dollar continues to lose reserve currency status.  The long predicted pension collapse has begun in ernest, so the economic crisis started by Nixon in 1971 is finally hitting home.

I will only do this once because I consider this space somewhat sacred and don't want it to become political.

Student driver? The excuse of a teenager not a grown man: if you run for our highest office, if you have a transition team, if you can bring in all manner of experts to educate you and/or help run things - that is the responsibility. You now 'own' it and the country depends on you, no students allowed. No excuse. 

We are getting out of Syria? We will see as we have a new red line: we bombed once, we now have to bomb every time that line is crossed. However, the trade agreements seem to have helped - our allies are negotiating agreements among themselves.  

Merit badges are for scouts, not Presidents and check the legislation. There is no substantial voter fraud but I do like the states stating their rights and telling the commission to go jump in the lake, the ocean or the gulf.

Of course he is ahead of others in 'researching' pardons: he spoke about it in the Oval, we know he didn't research anything and had to go to the legal minds but those minds insist they didn't talk pardons. Oh, communications are a hit though. And he is a fine example, how many times has he commented on a woman's body while in office? Oh, he was asked about God and he pointed to a man made landscape, might have been his golf course, as evidence. I guess all his buildings must also be evidence of God.

No mention of his high regard for our intelligence services, the climate, his love affair with Russia/Putin, how he is getting China to help with N. Korea (I know student driver) or his fixation with size (like crowd size and popular vote size) and his Twitter fixation (but he has to do something with his hands and use that mind on something other that watching TV).

Ok, back to high minded pursuits.

• Upvote 1

Trump's claim was that he would make America great again.  This is not possible under Basel III rules, but he has managed to undo some of the damage caused over the last 16 years.  No lie; he is just overly ambitious in setting goals.

7 hours ago, Burl said:

Trump's claim was that he would make America great again.  This is not possible under Basel III rules, but he has managed to undo some of the damage caused over the last 16 years.  No lie; he is just overly ambitious in setting goals.

I would suggest he was more than 'overly ambitious' as he knew people would buy his exaggerated promises even though he knew he actually couldn't influence them.  The Great Wall of Mexico is an example - no progress made on this big ticket item whatsoever.  Why?  Because Trump doesn't have the ability to get the law passed through Congress.  You may think it was a well intended promise - I think he was cashing in on fear to win votes.

His one big ticket item that he was successful in was removing health cover from 20+million Americans who otherwise can't afford it.  Give that what credit you will.

ISIS are out of Iraq because of the strategy Obama implemented, nothing else.  And if you think the US is close to getting out of Syria I'd like to see where you get that supporting evidence from.  I think that is wishful thinking.

Certainly Trump keeps reiterating the message that he has achieved more than any other president.  Not strictly a lie depending on what measure you use.  For instance, his government has passed a record number of bills in his first 6 months - 42.  Which is 3 more than Obama in the same period although Obama did sign an $800bn stimulus program to help the country out of recession whilst Trump's bills record includes the likes of renaming a building in Nashville and appointing individuals to a museum board.

He did withdraw the US from the Paris Climate Deal - again, not one personally I think the US should be proud of, but he's your President.

Clearly people have political biases, perhaps even worse than religious ones.  So it depends on who you ask as to whether he has achieved much.  Personally. to me he is all about division rather than cooperation and bringing together.  He's got another 3 1/2 years, I guess we'll just have to wait and see where it goes.

Respectfully Paul, you seem to be getting a low info version of US political news over there.  

The big issue in world politics is the Eurasian Trade Zone and the upcoming GCR and dollar collapse.  Everything else is a footnote.

Paul,

It seems to me it is difficult to get the straight news even here. Media is slanted on both sides. Check this site out for your 20+ million loss of health care data just to get an idea of what we have to deal with here in news reporting which seems nothing more than a battle of words between Republicans and Democrats to gain control of the people. I really don't know what the truth is but i have from experience come to the current conclusion that data is most often manipulated by those in power of the news. 

1 hour ago, Burl said:

Respectfully Paul, you seem to be getting a low info version of US political news over there.  

The big issue in world politics is the Eurasian Trade Zone and the upcoming GCR and dollar collapse.  Everything else is a footnote.

Respectfully or not, those are the facts Burl.  No wall, because Trump can't get Congress to approve/fund.  He successfully revoked 'Obamacare' (not something to be proud of in my book).  He's only passed 3 more bills that Obama in his first 6 months.  Do you refute any of these facts?

As for the 'big issues', Trump's protectionism will only endanger the US further against the economic threats developing in the Eurasian Economic Zone.  No country is an island in the world these days and the US will learn this lesson the hard way if it continues down this road of protectionism.  It simply isn't viable.

55 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Respectfully or not, those are the facts Burl.  No wall, because Trump can't get Congress to approve/fund.  He successfully revoked 'Obamacare' (not something to be proud of in my book).  He's only passed 3 more bills that Obama in his first 6 months.  Do you refute any of these facts?

As for the 'big issues', Trump's protectionism will only endanger the US further against the economic threats developing in the Eurasian Economic Zone.  No country is an island in the world these days and the US will learn this lesson the hard way if it continues down this road of protectionism.  It simply isn't viable.

Illegal immigration is down 70%.  Trump IS the wall.

Obamacare has not been "revoked" at all.  It is failing rapidly, but it is still there.

How many bills I do not know, but number of bills passed is an irrelevant statistic.  Trump is an independent with little support at all in our corrupted legislature, so I'm very surprised he passed more bills than Obama.

The Eurasian Trade Zone is the new economic reality.  No more free money for the US as we lose reserve currency status. Pensions are now failing and entire municipalities are bankrupt.  I predict a new US dollar devalued to 75¢ within a year, and dropping to a quarter soon after.

The US is irrevocably sliding into third world status.  The Bush/Obama/Clinton team delayed this by starting wars and stealing oil and gold, but those were only short-term solutions.  The best we can hope for now is to not get sucked into international fascism.

There is nothing anyone can do to fix this.  Trump or no Trump it really makes little difference.

Edited by Burl

8 hours ago, Burl said:

Illegal immigration is down 70%.  Trump IS the wall.

Obamacare has not been "revoked" at all.  It is failing rapidly, but it is still there.

How many bills I do not know, but number of bills passed is an irrelevant statistic.  Trump is an independent with little support at all in our corrupted legislature, so I'm very surprised he passed more bills than Obama.

The Eurasian Trade Zone is the new economic reality.  No more free money for the US as we lose reserve currency status. Pensions are now failing and entire municipalities are bankrupt.  I predict a new US dollar devalued to 75¢ within a year, and dropping to a quarter soon after.

The US is irrevocably sliding into third world status.  The Bush/Obama/Clinton team delayed this by starting wars and stealing oil and gold, but those were only short-term solutions.  The best we can hope for now is to not get sucked into international fascism.

There is nothing anyone can do to fix this.  Trump or no Trump it really makes little difference.

I see how politics can be so much like religion where people 'believe' their version of events and adjust accordingly.

Trump said he was going to build a physical wall and that Mexico would pay for it.  That has not happened.  Immigration may well be down (as certainly Trump's rhetoric would have an effect on potential migrants) but he has not built the wall which he promised.  But I never expected him to - it was a fear tactic to win votes.

Trump doesn't think the number of bills he has passed is a irrelevant statistic as he has quoted it a number of times as demonstration of how much he has achieved as President.  As you don't know the number of bills passed then clearly your assessment of the accuracy of my fact doesn't count for much.

Not sure what evidence you use that Obamacare is 'failing rapidly' (sounds more like bias to me) but its death knell has been sounded by Trump and Tuesday's vote by the Senate to debate the bill is the beginning of the end.  Although if it is not revoked then you have another broken Trump promise.

No doubt we are seeing the end of an era with US economic dominance beginning to pale against the rise of China and indeed the Eurozone. However there is much that can be done about it - just not by this President I expect.

Edited by PaulS

It takes more than six months for our government to even draw up an RFP! 

Maybe we should do like Australia and just ship illegal immigrants to an offshore desert island surrounded by racist sharks.

44 minutes ago, Burl said:

It takes more than six months for our government to even draw up an RFP! 

Maybe we should do like Australia and just ship illegal immigrants to an offshore desert island surrounded by racist sharks.

I'm not looking for excuses for Trump, just pointing out that I don't buy the hype that he has outperformed all other Presidents in his first 6 months and that the facts (not opinions) demonstrate he has not outperformed.

The US is not alone with fear-mongering politicians demonising the poor and helpless.  Unfortunately many Australians have also been sucked into believing all our ills can be blamed on immigrants.  I agree that the way they are being treated is abysmal.

On 25 July 2017 at 9:37 PM, JosephM said:

Paul,

It seems to me it is difficult to get the straight news even here. Media is slanted on both sides. Check this site out for your 20+ million loss of health care data just to get an idea of what we have to deal with here in news reporting which seems nothing more than a battle of words between Republicans and Democrats to gain control of the people. I really don't know what the truth is but i have from experience come to the current conclusion that data is most often manipulated by those in power of the news. 

Definitely data is manipulated for political purposes by all political interests.  We experience the same issues here where different sides of politics are preaching totally opposite 'facts' about the exact same issue.  So whether repealing Obamacare does effect 20million or not 10million, or what effect any such repeal would have, may be open to speculation.

Previously I had read and heard a number of sources that were almost celebratory in their nature concerning Trump getting the required win to put his bill before the Senate.  It seemed to be a lay down misere that Trumps bill to repeal Obamacare would pass.  Well, yesterday's Senate rejection of the bill would clearly suggest not.  Time will tell.

Nonetheless, partisan statements concerning Trumps 'record' performance cannot be supported statistically or by any other measure other than personal opinion.  It seems those who favour Trump say he's amazing successful and those that don't support him disagree and only see his shortcomings.  From where I sit I strongly see his shortcomings and am concerned where he is taking America and the impact that will have on the rest of the world.

4 hours ago, romansh said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-40758498/trump-to-police-don-t-be-too-nice

What disturbed me was the police officers behind Trump laughing and applauding.

It's a disgusting comment and typical of his small mindedness toward justice.  What about all the innocent people who are arrested by police but later released when proper investigations demonstrate their innocence?  What, too bad for them, they should just get hurt by the police anyway?  Don't be nice to them just because they might not be innocent? Craziness.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PaulS said:

It's a disgusting comment and typical of his small mindedness toward justice.  What about all the innocent people who are arrested by police but later released when proper investigations demonstrate their innocence?  What, too bad for them, they should just get hurt by the police anyway?  Don't be nice to them just because they might not be innocent? Craziness.

Yes, he is a loose cannon with no apparent capacity for self-criticism. I could go on ( and on and on ) but will end it there. 

• 7 months later...
On March 13, 2018 at 11:42 AM, romansh said:

Tillerson now ... seemed like one of the more sane appointees to me.

Are we still happy with Trump a year and quarter in?

I'm still ok. He seems to be doing a good job of shaking up the establishment. Perhaps we need to give him more time? He is certainly a different kind of leader than we are accustomed to. :rolleyes: