Introducing Myself

Maida

Hello, my name is Maida, I am a member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) and live in Halifax. Our Halifax group meets once a week in a Silent Meeting for Worship - but it is not really silent. The silence is used for waiting for the spirit and listening to the spirit (or the divine, or god - depending on what name you want to use. I use spirit.) I am very interested in the progress of Christianity among those with open minds and hearts. To me, being a Christian means to be a person who tries to follow the teachings of Jesus, especially the Beatitudes. I do not believe in anything supernatural, but I do believe that there is more to the natural than we fully know about - humanity seems to have a craving for the spiritual - and a seeking for how to live a good life. We are more than physical beings, we are also spiritual beings. But sometimes the cultural materialism is overwhelming. We need to know how to reach our own spirituality and foster the positive parts of ourselves, our families and the groups we are in. Quakers have tried to do this since 1652, and have often had remarkable success.

I look forward to the Progressive Christian conversation.

Maida, Welcome and Salutations to the Divinity within you. In the sixties-early seventies I visited the Quakers Silent Meetings and was and still am so impressed with the silence. I meditated and it started out in silence, but people were encouraged and spoke out of the silence and either relaxed back into silence or encouraged others on the topic. Looking forward to you post and conversations coming out of the silence.

Welcome back to to the forum Maida and thanks for the introduction. I hope you will find the openness in minds and hearts here that you seek. May we all "foster the positive parts of ourselves". Fortunately each day is a new start for each of us and that we need not be discouraged by our slips and falls.

Joseph

Hello, my name is Maida, I am a member of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) and live in Halifax. Our Halifax group meets once a week in a Silent Meeting for Worship - but it is not really silent. The silence is used for waiting for the spirit and listening to the spirit (or the divine, or god - depending on what name you want to use. I use spirit.) I am very interested in the progress of Christianity among those with open minds and hearts. To me, being a Christian means to be a person who tries to follow the teachings of Jesus, especially the Beatitudes. I do not believe in anything supernatural, but I do believe that there is more to the natural than we fully know about - humanity seems to have a craving for the spiritual - and a seeking for how to live a good life. We are more than physical beings, we are also spiritual beings. But sometimes the cultural materialism is overwhelming. We need to know how to reach our own spirituality and foster the positive parts of ourselves, our families and the groups we are in. Quakers have tried to do this since 1652, and have often had remarkable success.

I look forward to the Progressive Christian conversation.

Welcome Maida and what a great introduction.