New Forum Member Wes

Wes Phillips

Hi!

I'm Wes Phillips and a long-time fan of Bishop Spong. I didn't know about this forum, but I am glad I found it. I grew up in Wichita Falls, Texas and attended the Methodist church there. When I went to College, I attended the Methodist Youth group at the Wesley Foundation where we had a very progressive minister. I was already convinced that the Bible was not a history book, nor a science book and had already determined this by the time I was 13 or 14 years old--about 1955. In college I majored in Biology and minored in Geology.

I consider Bishop Spong to be a moderate Christian and not at all radical. I also follow Israel Finkelstein as I was president of the local Archeological society for a number of years. I am now 73 years old and except for the inevitable geriatric diseases I am in relatively good health. I worked for the National Park Service for 34 years, retired there and then spent ten years in a local history museum, where I eventually became director. I retired there when I became 70 and am now active in both the Methodist church and the Unitarian Fellowship.

• Upvote 1

I find that the world is between four and five Billion years old and that the Universe may be as old as 12-13 Billion years. (It keeps changing as new information is found.} I am a student of Natural History and like to know the names of every plant, animal,

rock and fossil I encounter. I lead nature study tours at several places and am often engaged as a speaker on related topics.

Since I am retired, I accept no remuneration for my services. The world is beautiful and the Bible is beautiful and I love them

both! I live in the Panhandle of Texas, where the wild wind blows across the empty land. I have a library of over 1000 volumes

and am a continual reader in a great variety of subjects.

Greetings Wes,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the introduction. I moved it to your own intro thread. Sounds like you have had an interesting carreer and life and was fortunate enough to question things concerning religion early in life. Hope you will find time to share your experiences and provoke some interesting discussions.

Joseph