Ground Of Being?

BillM

Personally, i would not use the word universe as i see it limiting and more as a product / result rather than source yet even that statement is not accurate by experience.

Joseph.

I must admit I don't find the word universe limiting. My concept or thought of the universe may well be limiting.

We, not God, are responsible for ourselves and our world. Some may see this as a loss of faith. And I suppose it is. But I see my loss of faith as an embrace of reality as it really is...and I find that empowering.

Bill

I pretty much agreed with your reply. But the quote above - I see things differently.

As individuals we may take on responsibility or assign it to others. You said the universe behaves exactly as you would expect it to, People are of this universe. Now we may not see how the details unfold, but unfolding they are.

The universe is unfolding, including the ground of being (whatever that is assuming it exists), we may as well come to terms with it.

I must admit I don't find the word universe limiting. My concept or thought of the universe may well be limiting.

Perhaps there are more universes or parallel universes. Creation and all that it entails would seem to encompass it better.

(3:03AM? You need to get more sleep, my friend. :) )

What I meant, Joseph, is that, in my opinion, the universe (and more specifically, our world) operates according to natural laws, not as if some all-powerful, all-loving deity was controlling everything.

Without getting into Quantum Physics, it seems that natural law holds sway everywhere, not arbitrary supernatural intervention. Now, this doesn't mean that there is not some kind of Creator behind everything that has either put these laws into place or who works through these laws. I don't believe that one can prove that a Creator doesn't exist. And I don't think that one can prove that the theistic God doesn't exist either. Perhaps he is on vacation (ha ha!). But I think there is evidence (evil and suffering in our world, the inefficacy of prayer, the fact that bad things happen to good people, etc.) that the theistic God is most likely a fallacy.

Usually, the theistic God is said to love the whole world and to be working everything together towards some kind of ultimate good. This is, I believe, what the Bible teaches. But this claim is a claim of faith, not of fact. I find little evidence to support it. If God can't fix things now, why should he be trusted to fix things later?

This is why I said that if God does in some sense exist, maybe God wants us to grow up and stop expecting and waiting for a divine rescuer. Perhaps God wants us to take responsibility for ourselves and our world. I find that notion more empowering (and challenging) than sitting back and waiting for Jesus to return to do his mass cleanup.

As always, just my thoughts on it.

Perhaps there are more universes or parallel universes. Creation and all that it entails would seem to encompass it better.

Perhaps ...If these parallel universes do not interact then the others are irrelevant to us pragmatically.

If they do interact then there is a oneness in this multiverse.

Either way the word is not limiting ... what is limiting is our capacities to perceive reality.

Perhaps ...If these parallel universes do not interact then the others are irrelevant to us pragmatically.

If they do interact then there is a oneness in this multiverse.

Either way the word is not limiting ... what is limiting is our capacities to perceive reality.

That seems to me to always be the limiting case "our capacities to perceive reality" Which of course is a possible reason to constantly update our words to be used as pointers to more accurately reflect what we wish to have perceived.

Joseph

Just adding two cents to the conversation. It might only be worth two cents to me.

A holograph lives in every part of the whole in light interference patterns on the material plane so in a holographic universe we can’t run away turning our backs on the world, but with active attention we can be more effective, joyful and useful in our relations. David Bohm’s explanation for this is that the subatomic particles can keep interacting with each other no matter what the distance is between them, not because they are sending messages to each other faster than light, but because their separateness is a misconception. His theory is that in a more profound experience of reality the fragments are not individual pieces, but are expansions of the same basic mechanism. In a holographic universe every electron that came from the big bang would be entangled and linked to every electron in the universe in one big quantum soup. Living things would be coupled with organic and inorganic material in a big web with hearts, minds, stars and planets all joined together. Everything is joined together and can see into everything else even the past and the future where nothing is separate, everything is together is an ocean of vibrations existing simultaneously in the present moment. This means that at a deeper level of reality in the holographic universe fragments are not solitary and disconnected except in the mind where we categorize the different parts, but in the whole everything is inseparable and united.

The ground of our being includes the mind, but is also beyond it. “I” would symbolize the pure being, the ground of all beings. Without the “I”, we can’t say I am a student, father, daughter, theist or atheist. What comes after the "I" would be what the mind identifies with the cup that separates the ocean from the water inside it.