Should We Be Concerned

I read an article a few weeks ago (can't find it) that suggests that some of these mega church members are getting tired of the repetitve messages, music, and non-liturgical structure and are coming back to the traditional mainline liturgical churches. The article suggests the children aren't getting anything out of the "hip" style.

But I want to off-shoot on something that was mentioned in the article you posted. Speaking in tongues. I dated a Pentecostal girl in high school. I went to her little country church and found the tongues to be odd. I questioned their authenticity, until something happened to my brothers. I have a brother who is a Presbyterian minister and another who goes to a Unitarian Universalist church. BOTH of them described personal speaking in tongues experiences, though neither of them believed in them previously. They both said that you can't just disbelieve your way out of them. It just wells up inside of you until it comes out in tongues. It's never happened to me, and I'm not sure if I want it to. But it has changed my view of it. They both described the experience as a powerful and transcendent.

Edited by fatherman

"What is particularly disturbing about this anti-intellectual trend is that members of these fundamentalist groups hold views with implications that are dangerous and destructive for our civilization, for our nation, for world peace, and for human rights and freedoms. [ed. note: We will expand on this particular issue in a subsequent article.]"

In case we haven't noticed by now, there are a lot of "destructive" ideas and concepts in the world. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the "fundamentalist threat" at a 1 or 2 at most! We are all deluded, it's just a matter of the degree of our delusion.

Steve

It is interesting. I think the mega churches bring people to God, but the problem is they are not functioning in God. I think evolution will sooner or later initiate a search again hopefully a little deeper for the meaning of life.