I'm New And Searching For Something More

I am 41, live on the East Coast and was raised a practicing Catholic. This form of religion has always worked for me and I have been raising my 2 kids, ages 9 and 12 in the Catholic faith as well. Over the last couple of years something has been gnawing at me. I have been left feeling empty when I go to church. I want to have a spiritual relationship with God and I want my children to have that as well. I have been stuffing this dissatisfaction away because I haven't known what to do with it. I know I'm being called to worship in a less structured way, and yet I feel like children need some sense of structure and routine in their faith journey. I haven't been able to come up with a way to combine the two - and, honestly, the idea of figuring it out has been too overwhelming. Then a few hours ago I was eating lunch with a friend at work and told her that I feel like I don't want to go to church on Mothers Day. I want to go to a local state park, sit by the river and worship with my family in some way. She answered, "So do it." And so I think I will....but I have no idea how. Anyone who has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

Phew...that was a really long introduction:)

• Upvote 1

Hi Searchingmom,

My personal opinion is that there is no need to search for anything. Yet, many of us do. If we search for "more", we find just that - more, and there is no end to "more". Sitting by a river can be just "sitting by a river", an end in itself. Enjoy yourself and your kids!

Peace.

Steve

(IMO) One does not need to go to a building or follow a ritual to connect with one's faith. Sometimes the greatest spiritual experiences occur whilst sitting in silence and connecting with nature. It was one such experience that gave birth to the Quaker movement. The realisation that God and the Spiritual was there also and one did not need an intermediary. Sometimes rituals can be great experiences too but they are not the only thing (IMO).

I hope you find what you want searchingmum. Yet, I think you may find that inner peace is there with you waiting to be rediscovered.

Welcome to the forum.

Pete

Welcome searchingmom,

Thank you for the introduction. In my experience, what you are going through can be a very painful or saddening experience. Change is usually difficult for most of us but rest assured you do have a spiritual relationship with God or you wouldn't be felling that 'unction' for change. It may seem like we are losing something and there is a somewhat lost feeling and much uncertainty for a time but know that God is with you and could never leave you. Your very 'being' and Life/Existence itself will;attest to this and is confirmation. May the serenity of nature in the park bring you an inward peace and serenity that you seem to no longer feel in the Catholic church.

Follow after love and peace with all and your steps will always be directed. May this site be a blessing to your soul as your confidence in the director of your path grows.

Love in Christ,

Joseph

What better way to worship a creator than to love, embrace and enjoy that which he has created - your family and the earth itself! There's all your worship there , IMO.

Welcome to the forum and I hope it helps you find some answers from within yourself.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

searchingmom, Welcome and it seems you are being guided. It is nice that you are listening. I agree God is everywhere inside, outside, here and there. It doesn't matter what we do, we just have to remove the barriors that separate us from the presence.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi searchingmom. It's a pleasure to meet you.

A passage from Luke 17:20-21 comes to mind:

"... the Kingdom of God is within you."

I hope that your mothers day was a beautiful experience.