Musings About The Pope..

BrotherRog

Ani-man, that is horrible that you were abused by clergy as a child. I cannot imagine the sense of betrayal you must have experienced, but I am deeply sorry to hear about it.

In pondering your remarks on John Dear's letter--unfortunately not everyone is against poverty, war, and nuclear weapons. In fact we have people in serious positions of power who are most definitely FOR these things, particularly war as a means to "solve" conflict. And I recall stats from 2003 and 2004 showing that most "church-going people" supported the war in Iraq, even as most mainline churches took official stances against the war. . .

Thank you Curlytop, the man was never caught but I remember his face and the smirk on it, short black hair and that he was dressed in black with a white clerical collar. He vanished thru a door somewhere around back of the altar that was obviously a staff only door due to it's location.

Even back then I knew it wasn't MY fault it was his!

Anyway, I was I was too all inclusive, I meant to not include the war mongers, Bush, the military contractors etc. Also those who stand to gain from keeping people and employees poor- the corporations and stock holders.

The people have been misled from the start that this was about "weapons of mass destruction" Bush claimed Saddam had and inteligence said he did, only later did it start to come out that documents were deliberately altered or forged and that the whole thing was a farce, but by then we had tens of thousands of soldier and all this money invested over there so it became Bush's battle call to "support the TROOPS" if you don't support the war.

So then it all focussed on "supporting the troops" and "standing behind our President" and if you were against the war or Bush you were suddenly called someone who was anti American, almost a communist and against "the troops," then of course it evolved into this "thing" of "Liberating the Iraqii people" which was never the initial mission but all that was left.

So it may be the churches etc are supporting that "liberation" followed by possible "conversion" of muslims to Christianity rather than the "war" itself.