Progressive Conflict & Questions

buck

Hi everyone.

A little background to my question:

One of my pleasures is creative writing. I enjoy writing stories to entertain, and through those stories help readers learn something about themselves and humanity. Recently I wrote a fictional short story inspired by the story of Noah and published it on my blog and in a private community of Christian writers. I've started to receive private feedback complimenting the story, which is nice, but I've also started to receive feedback stating that the reader is hoping that the fictional story that I wrote about Noah is true and that if that fictional story is not true, that I shouldn't be telling lies to people ( Ephesians 4: 25 KJV ).

My question:

How is the Progressive Christian movement (overall) dealing with the attacks of literalists?

Buck

Buck,

I don't know how the 'movement' overall may approach this, but for me I simply don't care about any attacks. In fact, who should! I'm not here to win a war, but to live and enjoy my life and help others where I can (because it makes me feel good). However that threatens or angers literalists doesn't really matter to me.

Cheers

Paul

Buck,

Its relatively easy , in my opinion , to find people who will disagree with and attack another no matter what ones position is. Progressive Christians are individuals and deal with it in accordance where they are at in their journey. I don't think there is a need for an official position though an individual progressive church may indeed have one.Personally i would not be concerned if i was writing a fictional story to get across points that i felt had a lesson that was valuable to some. In fact i have done just that with one book i wrote.

Joseph.

Hello, Buck.

I think not much effort is spent defending the slings and arrows of literal bible-ists. Considering the example provided, does one not appreciate the irony of condemnation of a fictitious account of...fiction?

I too, am a professional liar!

Lovely to make your acquaintance.

NORM

Hi Paul, Joseph, and Norm.

I guess I was really surprised to read the messages expressing those viewpoints -- or perhaps terrified is a better word to use than surprised.

Well, I suppose learning how to deal with those experiences will be an interesting journey.

Thanks for your feedback.

Buck

Hi Paul, Joseph, and Norm.

I guess I was really surprised to read the messages expressing those viewpoints -- or perhaps terrified is a better word to use than surprised.

Well, I suppose learning how to deal with those experiences will be an interesting journey.

Thanks for your feedback.

Buck

Why terrified?

NORM

Why terrified?

NORM

Because the less a person thinks, the easier they are to control, and the more likely they are to try to control others to think at (below) their level.

The individuals who have criticized me have their own followings, and are very likely inspiring people to think (pardon the term) the way they do.

Criticizing a fictional story written for entertainment purposes because it is not true, is as you say, ironic, and I also feel it is deeply indicative of a much greater problem that appears to be growing in our society. I hope that the Progressive Christianity movement can help offer solutions to that problem.

Just as an aside, I read a fun book the other day that I'm sure would qualify for similar criticism as that received by Buck. The book is called "Lamb - The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal". Quite funny and definitely heretical to any red-blooded literalist/fundamentalist! :)

...The book is called "Lamb - The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal".

Oh My, that is now on my list of books to read sooner-than-later!

I just bought the Kindle edition and will get to it soon.

Buck

You must be a good writer if you have critics. Everything is a myth so interpret your own way. Matter is a myth as it is not solid, but mostly space. I am a myth that is changing every second. You have people barking at your heels because you can handle it, but can you enjoy the ride?

Just as an aside, I read a fun book the other day that I'm sure would qualify for similar criticism as that received by Buck. The book is called "Lamb - The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal". Quite funny and definitely heretical to any red-blooded literalist/fundamentalist! :)

I read that book several years ago - it is quite good satire.

NORM

Because the less a person thinks, the easier they are to control, and the more likely they are to try to control others to think at (below) their level.

The individuals who have criticized me have their own followings, and are very likely inspiring people to think (pardon the term) the way they do.

Criticizing a fictional story written for entertainment purposes because it is not true, is as you say, ironic, and I also feel it is deeply indicative of a much greater problem that appears to be growing in our society. I hope that the Progressive Christianity movement can help offer solutions to that problem.

I understand. I am hopeful that spending a few months on this forum, and getting out and meeting some other Progressive Christians - or, even us agnostics and atheists (we don't bite!) - will reveal what I think is the truth: the small-minded, theistic drones are on the wane and not on the ascendancy as you presume.

I can even offer some sage advice from a book of moralistic fables with which I am certain you are familiar:

If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. - Matthew 10:14

NORM

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

fictional story that I wrote about Noah is true and that if that fictional story is not true, that I shouldn't be telling lies to people

I have learned over the years that it is possible for something to be "true" where the truth has little or nothing to do with historical accuracy. .... parables are a good example.

s

Speaking of stories and fiction, check out my novel, Tea Party: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JPV5BBI. I would really appreciate feedback on it. If you like my writing in this forum, you will enjoy reading my stories.

I have another one under way called The Farmer With a Dell. It's about the food industry and corruption in the newly emerging alternative energy markets.

NORM