Hello Everyone! I'm Looking For Friends!

Geaniebeanie

Hello to all! I'm so happy to be here! Here's a little information about myself: I was raised in a conservative Southern Baptist household. In about 1999 or thereabouts, I figured out that Jesus and what I was being taught was not the only path to god. I had a lot of love for a higher power but was not religious until 2001, when I discovered Hinduism. I should mention that I'm Caucasian and from Southeast Kansas. I never connected with anyone with my new found faith, and had to keep it a secret. I was lonely, but I had strong faith. In 2013 I lost faith. I don't know what happened. I'd call it a midlife crisis, but I'm only 37. I was looking for god again, and thought maybe Christianity would give me just what I needed: new found faith and friendship with others. (I'm a bit of a shut in; I have Bipolar Disorder and a bad anxiety disorder so it's hard for me to make friends. I thought church would be a good place to start.) My husband and I went to an Episcopalian service and it was quite nice. I wanted to familiarize myself with Christianity so I bought a bible and stared reading, front to back. What a mistake! My new found faith in Christianity was crushed because I simply could not accept the god of the bible, although I did like the works of Jesus. I'm very logical and a scientist by heart (though not by trade: I'm a housewife) and the bible had no place in my life. I have been struggling for half a year now with religion, beliefs and faith. I've waffled between this religion and the next, and finally decided I must be an atheist. While I do have a lot of atheistic views, I couldn't shake off the feeling that I needed more in my life than just facts. I needed spirituality. I needed a higher power. By chance I discovered Progressive Christianity. I was blown away by what I found. I didn't know there were others out there in the world with my frame of mind. I've checked, and unfortunately there are no progressive churches in my area (big sigh of disappointment) but then I found this forum! I'm hoping to expand my mind a little and hopefully make some friends here and have some much needed fellowship. I'm pretty new to forums, so bear with me if I screw anything up! Thanks for reading! :)

• Upvote 1

Welcome GeanieBeanie!

I'm so glad you've found this forum, and hope you stay around:) I think this is a great place to develop "new found faith and friendship with others". I also live with anxiety, and find it easier to 'speak up' electronically than face to face.

Annie

Welcome GeanieBeanie,

I have found this forum an excellent place to explore, discuss, debate and share ideas, without judgement or being made to feel 'wrong'. There is a lot of respect shown here for people's different takes on things.

I am sure you will enjoy participating here (they're a nice bunch really :) )

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the welcome! Ah, the weather in Kansas...What's that old saying...? If you don't like the weather just wait five minutes. As I write this, we're getting snow (but not much so far) and there's been a bunch of school and church cancellations for Cherokee county and the surrounding areas. I'm supposed to take my cat to the vet tomorrow: that might have to wait for another day. Just a check up, nothing serious. :-) I'm also scheduled for therapy tomorrow but they cancel at the sight of snowflakes. I'm wondering if there's anyone on this forum from Kansas or Joplin, Missouri (we're about three miles away). You suppose I should start a new thread asking? I really don't know what I'm doing with forums. Computer illiterate!

On the Messageboard front page there is a section called "Watercooler" and under that there is a subsection called "Progressive Christianity Café". This section is for off topic discussion and would probably be the best place to raise the question. Perhaps a thread titled "Anyone from Kansas or Joplin?" might make it easier for those interested to see.

GeanieBeanie salutations to the Divinity within you, I like the path you are on, the twist and turns, it demonstrates that you are on the right path. You are fortunate to have experienced three spiritual cultures, and they should help expand your spiritual experience. I count science as one of them. May you enjoy and share your you with us. Namaskar=Namaste