Media And Religion

CollinsPatrick57

I am taking a class at Iliff about religion and media. One of the topis we have been discussing is the role of new media (mainly internet and social media) in religion. One of the topics were there has been some discussion is that the new forms of media have softened the the old hard line between secular pop culture and religion. I am interested in what those in the progressive christian circles here think about the role of new media in religion? What are the potential impacts of social media on the future of religion as you see it? Do you see the line between sacred and secular being blurred by all the new types of media?

I'm not sure if there is any softening, but I do think that the internet and social media has provided an opening up of biblical scholarship and discussion around interpretation of the bible which didn't have much of a voice previously.

I think social media will expose the deficiencies of organized religion and enlighten the masses on the esoteric spiritual experience that we all crave. I think it can bring out the best in religion, spirituality, science, art and individual thoughts so we can enjoy the Divinity within and use media to share that joy with others.