Giving Up On Football

MOW

I'm not sure when if happened ,but gradually over time I've lost all interest in football. I can't have conversations on Mondays about Sunday's games that other men are so excited about . I think it started when Dave Duerson commited suicide. He did so in such a manner that his brain could be studied. Recently another young man commited suicide at age 29.

I used to spend Sundays after church watching the games ,but no longer. Does anyone else feel this way?

MOW

Mow,

I think there comes a time in ones spiritual development where one may be no longer attracted or has a diminished interest in violent sports such as football or boxing or other related items that in the past may have stimulated ones passions. It seems to me the drama we once were interested in which may have given us a stronger sense of self becomes less attractive and is replaced by a deeper peace and an affinity for more peaceful endeavors like friendships and helping others.

That is just my own experience and in no way is meant to demonize any sport or person who enjoys such pastimes. I think all that we go through is a necessary experience for each one of us to bring us where we are at the moment. To me nothing in itself is evil but of course all things that we sow have a reaping.

Joseph

I used to spend Sundays after church watching the games ,but no longer. Does anyone else feel this way?

MOW

No not really or at least I don't. Firstly, real football is played on Saturdays.

Secondly I don't go to church, except for the odd christening, wedding or death.

I would go to the odd football match if the opportunity arose. Watched Vancouver play Montreal play live a couple of months ago, it reminded me of the first time I saw Villa play Leciester back in 1960 from the touch line. It was a magical moment for me. Have you noticed the cathedral like atmosphere when a large group of people gather in a relatively enclosed space. Definitely magic. (a metaphor).

Until a couple of years ago I played football once or twice a week. At fifty nine it is hard on the knees.

Edited by romansh

• 2 weeks later...

I played football so enjoy the strategy. In high school I am so old or our school was so poor we played with leather helmits. I remember a hard hit would bruise your helmit. When the other teams had plastic helmits, I remember thinking not how big or fast the other team was, but how hard their helmits looked.

Personally, I've never really engaged in our nationally football code here in Australia, although for so many it is a passion.

I'm not sure to what degree this concern bothers you MOW, but I think it's perfectly normal for people's interests to change, evolve, and even are interest be removed because of certain incidents like the suicides you mention.