Progressive Christology

FredP

An unothodox view of the Trinity is my way to make Christianity inclusive and not exclusive.

God the Father is an undivided and indivisible Whole, a pure consciousness that fills all time and permeates all space. This makes our purpose not to find God, but to realize God's presence and to understand that this all pervading consciousness is always with us. Life flows up from the inside where the Divine Presence is springing up from within us. When we realize this, we recognize that this all-pervading consciousness is responding to us from every person, thing or event that transpires. The Divine Presence is everywhere so let us awaken to the realization of this Presence.

One God is revealed in three aspects in the Holy Trinity, which is an expansion of the rudimentary idea of God. The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost are the Generator, the Operator, and the Destroyer, God. The generator is the Father that creates the universe and the operator is the Holy Ghost, which is the energy that maintains creation. The destroyer is The Son who regains the all-pervading consciousness by sacrificing the physical life for the spiritual life.

There is still oneness in the all-pervading consciousness, but it becomes lost in the individual awareness of the parts. Jesus says, "I and The Father are one," so after productive experiences in evolution the individual parts again become aware of the affinity of all things. Eventually, the individual again merges in the ocean of pure consciousness to sit at the right hand of The Father in equilibrium. "I and The Father are one."

The Holy Trinity represents God from which nature comes, maintains it's growth, and into which it dies and merges in the end; thus, this triangle is the strongest form in nature. The Father is all encompassing and is both in the world and beyond it so everything is within His Body and nothing is outside of Him. As all ice comes from water (pure consciousness) so also all forms of this creation come from the Father or pure consciousness.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soma, nice take on Trinitarianism that doesn't have anything to do with divine babies. :)

Anyway, jerry, fortunately there is enough mystery for the soul, and consistency for the mind, for all of us. The tension is where all the fun stuff happens.

I absolutely agree on the inside-out nature of spiritual reality. Once again it is relective of universal structure. The light is on the inside and seeks ways out into the darkness. Sometimes that's a destructive thing, sometimes creative. But it is what is.

flow.... :)

Hi aletheia,

I believe that I am at about the same stage in my search for Jesus that you are.

And I struggle almost daily to make sense of how I'm feeling.

Perhaps that's the real beauty and appeal of christianity,it's mystery.

However....even though I love mystery...my soul craves certainty,and I'm caught in the tension of those two emotions.

Maybe you can share what you've discovered about this in your own spiritual walk.

Blessings,

Jerryb

Hi Jerry, welcome to the board. Sorry it took me a day to get to your post. I've actually been hanging out on another board. Don't tell anyone. ;)

I don't know if you've read any other posts on the board that describe my armchair philosophizing over the last few months, but in a nutshell -I'm still searching, still learning, and still a little lost.

My search for God has lead me a bit towards more traditional Christianity, although I'm sure they would still consider me too liberal. :rolleyes:

I started with the premise that God exists and from that has flowed many ideas (social trinitarianism, open view theism, universalism, "soul making") that just happen to exist in Christianity (though some disagree) as well.

I had to step away from Christianity and the Bible in order to come back to it (over a process of about 5 years).

The tension between mystery and certainty that you mention? I think that's exactly where we are supposed to be.

If you want to talk privately via email or messenger let me know. :)

Hi aletheia,

I believe that I am at about the same stage in my search for Jesus that you are.

And I struggle almost daily to make sense of how I'm feeling.

Perhaps that's the real beauty and appeal of christianity,it's mystery.

However....even though I love mystery...my soul craves certainty,and I'm caught in the tension of those two emotions.

Maybe you can share what you've discovered about this in your own spiritual walk.

Blessings,

Jerryb

Hi Jerry, welcome to the board. Sorry it took me a day to get to your post. I've actually been hanging out on another board. Don't tell anyone. ;)

I don't know if you've read any other posts on the board that describe my armchair philosophizing over the last few months, but in a nutshell -I'm still searching, still learning, and still a little lost.

My search for God has lead me a bit towards more traditional Christianity, although I'm sure they would still consider me too liberal. :rolleyes:

I started with the premise that God exists and from that has flowed many ideas (social trinitarianism, open view theism, universalism, "soul making") that just happen to exist in Christianity (though some disagree) as well.

I had to step away from Christianity and the Bible in order to come back to it (over a process of about 5 years).

The tension between mystery and certainty that you mention? I think that's exactly where we are supposed to be.

If you want to talk privately via email or messenger let me know. :)

Hi Aletheia,

I promise not to tell about your other "hang-out".....of course now....everybody knows. Just kidding!

You mentioned that your journey back was a process of 5 years...I can relate to that. For ten long years I was completely away from the church,religion,etc. I tried my best to become an atheist,but it didn't work. So I went seminary...pastored a church for ten years...but again....it just wasn't working. But strangely enough,I am much happier as a "seeker", or as the book "Looking for God knows what" by

Donald Miller says..." Sometimes I feel as though I were born in a circus...shot out of a cannon..felt myself falling through the air...and suddenly realized there is no net".

The "falling" was both scary and intoxicating for me,because it gave me the most

incredible feeling of freedom that I had ever known.

And that is why I so enjoy hearing the stories of path-finding that you and others share on this board.

Godspeed my friend ,

Jerryb

Soma, nice take on Trinitarianism that doesn't have anything to do with divine babies. :)

Anyway, jerry, fortunately there is enough mystery for the soul, and consistency for the mind, for all of us.  The tension is where all the fun stuff happens.

Hi Fred,

I am living proof of your statement" The tension is where all the fun stuff happens". I am truly having "The time of my life" spiritually,and it's good...it's very good.

I was brought up in such an extremely fundemental church, that it seemed their motto was,"If it's fun....it's wrong".

But...they were wrong...God is fun too,isn't "she"?

Blessings,

Jerryb

Oh and thanks for resurrecting my thread, Jerry. It's interesting to come back and see how my ideas have and have not changed over the past year. :)

I'm still affirming the divinity of Jesus Christ in a Trinitarian context -- that is, G-d actually takes on physical form in the issuing forth of the cosmos, and not just creates it like a craftsman. In other words, my theology is thoroughly incarnational. It's also thoroughly kenotic -- meaning that G-d emptied himself of all knowledge and power pertaining to the Divine Being; desiring instead that, in the fullness of time, the seed of enlightenment buried in the cosmos from the beginning (John 1) would come to fruition. G-d apparently considers this awakening such a supreme good, that it's worth all the frustration, pain, and suffering the cosmos can dish out on the Cross.

So, in response to Borg's question: Do I read the gospels as "history remembered," or "history metaphorized?" I read them as metaphysics mythologized. :D