The Jesus Of The Nt Never Existed.

Gaylordcat

I don't expect others to, but I think a freedom comes from not trying to understand or needing to prove everything you believe.

this does make me uncomfortable. It is always easier to not think. I think it is of ultimate importance to strive for truth and understanding . The freedom you describe is a comfort from ignorance. If we don't think , we don't worry. I don't think this is what you mean. Let me restate it...

I have come to the conclusion that knowing the history is not terribly important to my spirituality. I am perfectly comfortable with the concept that Jesus as a man didn't exist or that he did in different form than NT . I think that is likely. I think there is a freedom from not tying ones faith to belief but tying ones faith to meaning. I think we waste far too much time worrying about and discussing history and it takes us away from the important issues that affect our lives. Whether Jesus walked this earth and was the "Son of God" or a mystic or a figment of peoples imagination is unimportant to me. The effect his message has had on humanity Is important. The effect it message can have on future generations IS important. I find peace and freedom with this.

Another thought....... I put fundamentalists of any religion and what I call " Fundamental Atheists" in the same bucket with non-thinkers. They are arrogant, judgmental, and not pleasant people. They have their minds closed. Basically they have missed the point.

steve

Another thought....... I put fundamentalists of any religion and what I call " Fundamental Atheists" in the same bucket with non-thinkers. They are arrogant, judgmental, and not pleasant people. They have their minds closed. Basically they have missed the point.

steve

Steve,

In my view, while it is very different from fundamentalists and perhaps they are more prone to blind acceptance rather than thinking, i certainly would not concur with the labels arrogant and judgemental for all of them. I am acquainted with many who attend fundamental churches and agree with the doctrine out of conditioning and perhaps ignorance yet do not display those characteristics ( arrogant and judgemental) you speak of.. I find both good and spoiled fruit among all labels.

Perhaps i am alone in my perception but since i was once classified as fundamental, i seem to see them differently than you might.

Peace,

Joseph

I agree with both Steve and Joseph,

Whilst there are arrogant and judgemental fundamentalists of both the Christian and the atheist kind, I think there are also fundy 'true believers' from both camps who don't exhibit those traits. In fact, one of the kindest, most caring people I ever knew was a fundamental literalist of the deepest conviction. On the other hand, I have met fierce advocates of atheism who dedicate their lives to helping others and demonstrate compassion rarely seen amongst Christianity.

Cheers

Paul

One of our old pastors who I very much respected was his words " very conservative but NOT a fundamentalist " He viewed the bible conservatively but compassionately. I asked him once what was the difference... he said a conservatives beliefs are a conclusion a fundamentalists are a statement.

steve