The Righteous Mind -Ch 6 And Beyond

AnnieG

Is anyone still part way through the Righteous Mind? And/ or do you have comments about the rest of the book?

I found I haven't sat down to read my downloaded copy of the book (I don't have an e-reader as yet), and a reserve copy from the local library has finally arrived -- reading buddies welcomed:)

Annie,

I sort of put reading it on hold after George's departure from this forum as other interests/committments have taken priority.

I would be prepared to recommit to getting through it and discussing, if you would like.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulS

hi Annie, sorry i didnt see this thread until now. I finished the book a while ago and really enjoyed it. I learned a lot from it, including a lot about myself :)

If there are particular things you read in the book and feel like discussing, i will be happy to engage!

Jonny

Paul

I think it's understandable the discussion ground to a halt after George left. I admit that I found the week by week approach a little too intensive and not always in line with my reading speed, so I just thought I may post from time to time if something interesting strikes me. If you'd like to take up the book again that's great; if other commitments feel too heavy I understand that too. I personally have something of a deadline to my reading now I've borrowed a library copy.....

Jonny

Good on you for reaching the finish line:)

PART2 (There’s more to morality than harm and fairness) contd (ch 6-8)

Ch 6: Taste Buds of the Righteous Mind – care/harm, fairness/cheating,
loyalty/betrayal, authority/subversion, sanctity/degradation

I heard a sound-bite from a psychologist the other day, saying something like ‘this

generation has the biggest problem so far with disciplining our kids. So for
the next few days I became a bossier Mum. Then I remembered how I was impressed
with the work of Alfie Kohn, who slams ‘Supernanny’ for being a disrespectful powerhead
and advocates respectful communication and negotiation with kids.

In Haidt’s terms, the ‘radio psychologist’ may argue that firm parenting is

protective (the care/ harm module); whereas Kohn may argue that exerting
authority without giving reasons and options is harmful as it fosters passivity.
Being moved both to care and to prevent harm, I think I understand now why I
vacillate between the two viewpoints.