What About The Concept Of Modenizing Religions.

Pablo Orozco

Keeping up with the concept of Christianity being all inclusive and focusing on the hoilistic concept to unify the espiritual experience into a whole one being, can this concept be bridged and make a connection to other religions that are already on this path, like pantheism and buddism and motivate other religions change direction to a new and simmilar path. The movement of progressive Christianity is challenging, as is, due to the resistanse to change by a large majority; however, the concept of looking at all main religions, keep the good, get rid of the bad, may be the most fudamental change that could help up integrate us all humans and live in peace. In this note, what about, requiring legislation to promote that the history of religions by part of the corriculum of all high schools, regardless of public, private or a specific faith, as part of the science and cultural education, this in itself can change the world to be a better place. I am passionate about these concepts and will be working to promote them. It will be intersting to hear your comments on wether or not these concepts can get momentum and traction. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Pablo,

Studying different religions seems to me to go along way in promoting understanding and discovering many commonalities in religions. In my view, It would certainly be a plus if school curriculum presented an unbiased education of both the history and basic core teachings of different religions. I do believe it would be a plus and contribute to a more peaceful world. I do think such concepts will gain momentum as views become more progressive within religions.

Joseph

I took a World Religion class at the University 40 years ago that brought everything together in my mind. I recommended it to my son 10 years ago and he was disappointed because he said it was just a sanskrit language course. I liked it because the professor covered the main concepts in the major religions in a positive accepting way.

There is nothing to fear from learning about what makes others tick. As Joseph suggests, this learning can promote understanding. However, it seems many are afraid of letting their children think for themselves and want them to understand only one religion. I'm all for a push to educate our children in a broader context concerning religions. I'll be doing so with my kids.

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested, The Great Courses has their Comparative Religions DVD series on sale.

I like the idea of exploring other religions for a couple of reasons. First, it allows one to put one's own religion into perspective by stepping outside of one's normal story. This can kickstart an evaluative process that leads one to critically think about one's own religion. Second, until somoene is exposed to other religions and approaches to spirituality, one's faith is primarily a "hand-me-down" defult faith. This is what they were told to believe, and given no other significant options it's what they believe. And, if they come to believe that their former religion isn't for them as much as another is, then they can move to where they feel they can grow.

• 1 month later...

I was just talking to someone yesterday about how Christianity is missing so many aspects of what a healthy person should strive for. Many of these aspects are what I feel some of the Eastern religions encompass. She had some great insight into it and I need to talk to her again and maybe take notes.

As far as teaching religion in public schools, I think that is a bad idea. You open the door to so much trouble. At an idealistic level it sounds great. We would all walk into an open minded class, with a textbook written by an open minded author and taught but a person who was interested in your spiritual journey. But in reality textbook publishers would write textbooks which Texas would adopt because they are the biggest market. There is absolutely no way a spiritually healthy textbook would get adopted in Texas. They still fight over creationism being taught. I think one of our forefathers greatest decisions was to separate church and state. Religion taught in public school would be a disaster.

Edited by Stanley

• 3 weeks later...

I was just talking to someone yesterday about how Christianity is missing so many aspects of what a healthy person should strive for. Many of these aspects are what I feel some of the Eastern religions encompass. ...

Can you tell us what some of those aspects are?

• 2 months later...

I agree with Stanley; though it is idealistic, and makes perfect sense. School would be the best place to have a course, since it is a place of education and children really haven't solidified their biases (I hope). Though I sincerely doubt most parents would allow their child to attend such a course in school. The general perception in most believers of major religions in the classic sense is that anything that isn't part of their faith is immediately 'wrong'. It's the hive mind and the adherence to it, that makes this type of education almost impossible

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell us what some of those aspects are?

Sorry, I missed this post. :(

This is a gross generalization but ...

To me, Christianity comes across as an external religion. "God, give me piece ... God, grant me wisdom ... God, please fix my problems." God is the fix-it man for people who don't want to take a deep and hard look into themselves and then jump on the path to improving themselves, their situation and their relationship with the infinite. But the Eastern religions seem to be an internal practice where the goal is to elevate yourself to a higher level so there is a more complete understanding of the infinite.

Stanley I agree with you that Christianity comes accross as an external religion. I think that is because they surpress the Christian mystics in the religion. St. Augustine said, wanting God is what prayer is all about. When you want God, you don't want you. ............................You want his illuminating flames but not his consuming fire. You want a small god to whom you can talk casually and before whom you can sing and dance and saunter away unsundered. When you do this repeatedly without shame, then know that your religious quest is a sham.

There is an advantage in Christianity's external focus, At a minimum there is a culture out there to help us, people who have been my way before. That is far from perfect, but it's definite. It includes advice to look within (Mt. 7:1-5).

Getting help non-physically is not so definite, internally or externally.