The Righteous Mind By John Haidt

GeorgeW

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion Jonathan Haidt

http://www.amazon.co...47765376&sr=1-1

I think this is an important book for our discussions here. Not all of us will agree. Books like this may not make good chapter by chapter studies but GeorgeW can lead us here

Yes, I think this is an important book. It has been several months since I read it, but if enough others are interested in reading it and having a book discussion, I would gladly facilitate it.

I know that some here are interested in evolution and Haidt gives an evolutionary explanation for the various features of "the righteous mind."

George

Dutch and Paul,

Sounds good, let's proceed with three. I hope others will join in with comments or questions (or also get the book) as we go along.

The books has three parts, with about 4 chapters per part. How about one part every two weeks? Too much, too little?

George

This book may be a little too anthropological for my background, but I like some of the Kindle sample chapter --

“I could have titled this book The Moral Mind to convey the sense that the human mind is designed to ‘do’ morality, just as it’s designed to do language, sexuality, music, and many other things…but I chose the title The Righteous Mind to convey the sense that human nature is not just intrinsically moral, it’s also intrinisically moralistic, critical, and judgmental. I want to show you that an obsession with righteousness is the normal human condition, a feature of our evolutionary design.…When I was a teenager I wished for world peace, but now I yearn for a world in which competing ideologies are kept in balance, systems of accountability keep us all from getting away with too much, and fewer people believe that righteous ends justify violent means.”

Also I just heard that Haidt is pronounced Hide, not Hate –so I like him better already :-)

I chose the title The Righteous Mind to convey the sense that human nature is not just intrinsically moral, it’s also intrinisically moralistic, critical, and judgmental.

Yes, I think "moralistic" and "judgemental" are more descriptive than "moral." We make moral judgements which means that we are influenced in our decisions with intuitive considerations of right and wrong in addition to, or instead of, purely logical or pragmatic reasons.

George

• 2 weeks later...

Originally, I had thought we should take each of the major sections separately. But, as I go back through the book, there is so much material worth discussing, I am now thinking that we should go chapter by chapter.

What sayeth the book clubers? If so, I will post some summary material on the first chapter tomorrow to kick off the discussions.

George

• 3 weeks later...