The Underground Church

Yvonne

I'm wondering if anyone has read this incredibly courageous book by Robin Meyers. A reviewer, Depeek Chopra, actually dares us to read the book.

I don't think there is anything "new", but the way Meyers presents his ideas is, well, radical. He actually calls on us to be a little insane and foolish. He challenges both conservatives and liberals to take a good hard look at the "why' of our faith. I'm only about half-way through, but the book is both refreshing (as in a new way to look at what we probably know), and challenging (as it it makes me a little uncomfortable.) Definitely NOT for the faint of heart (or faint of faith as the case may be.)

I highly recommend it - if you dare.

• 1 month later...

I just saw him speak the weekend. I had started the book and was hoping to get farther before I saw him but was only able to get into chapter one. It is good so far but after seeing him I am more interested in the book. One of the things that seems to be coming up lately, and he talked about it, is the difference between what is taught in seminary and what preachers feel they can say at the pulpit. His church in Oklahoma sounds interesting. I would imagine the sermons he gives are more intellectually challenging than the ones I hear Sunday after Sunday.