The Daily Office

Sorry, I know there's a lot of different traditions represented here and not everyone will be familiar with this.

The Daily Office is a cycle of prayer used in the more liturgical traditions of Christianity (Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox etc.). Each church has their own version and use slightly different terminology. The Daily Office is the Anglican term. It's a development of the prayer services used in the monasteries like Matins, Lauds, Vespers and so on, that were said at various points during the day. There are four services in the Anglican version, Morning, Noonday, Evening and, my personal favourite, Compline.

There's a great website, http://www.missionstclare.com that has all the offices online. Complie is actually a good one to start with because it's quite brief. It's meant to be said just before bed. I find it very soothing.

Hello! I often listen to the Compline service from St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral in Seattle via podcast. I agree, it's a beautiful service. Although I am distancing myself from theistic imagery in Christian liturgy, there is something about the Compline service that just seems, well, holy and sacred.

Is the podcast available on their website? I'll have to check that out. Sounds wonderful.

I agree totally about Compline being a beautiful service. The language used is very reflective. It's a very peaceful way to close the day.

• 5 months later...

I tried to use the Daily Office for my personal spirituality, but for me it doesn't feel right to preform by myself. Maybe if I had at least one other person with me it would work better for me. I attend Morning Prayer once a week (it is only offered on Tuesdays and only 1 or 2 people attend). I find that I enjoy using the Book of Common Prayer's daily devotionals instead of the Daily Office. They are a kind of mindfulness practice for me, and I enjoy having them spaced throughout the day. The daily office is long, and I have to look up lessons, it takes time so I'd only do it once per day and that didn't work as well for me as 4 shorter times per day. The Daily Office also relies heavily on the Psalms and there are some of those that I don't feel so good about using in my personal spiritual practice. (Especially Psalm 137). In any case, I'm glad to see the Daily Office getting a shout out on these forums. :D

• 10 months later...