Might Try Something....

Hi folks,

since beginning to follow this progressive path i have been enjoying the Bible like never before. One thing i have been doing is writing down verses that i like. These verses are generally ones that aren't in conflict with progressive christianity, and have some benefit to real life ie wisdom, inspiration, comfort. Here's a couple of examples:

'whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.' Philippians 4:8

'My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry' James 1:1

An idea i had was to get a collection of these verses and passages and compile them into a pdf file, perhaps with one verse for each day of the year. I've studied a little graphic design before so love little projects like that.

so what do you think? i'd love it if people could share verses that they like, and if i get enough i'll have a go at putting them together. dont worry about typing the whole verse, just the reference will do.

many thanks

Jonny

Jonny,

I like your idea...there are many bible verses I keep coming back to, a list I've compiled.

Here's one that seems to resonate with the two that you quoted.

"Let all things be done for building up." --I Cor. 14:26

I've always been humoured by Ezekiel 23:19-20 - "Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses".

Boy those Egyptians must have had some confidence in those days!

Just kidding, Johnny. I think your idea is really good. There is a lot of good words in the bible, God-inspired or not.

Cheers

Paul

Malachi 3:10

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

I like to show this verse to my conservative Republican friends when they rail against paying taxes (tithes).

NORM

Johnny,

I reckon there's more than a few that don't see the light of day during service!

Deuteronomy 25:11-12 - "If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity."

I'm not one to say why God felt he had to inspire somebody to write this, but maybe they had a problem with women breaking up fights by grabbing their hubbies by the balls? :D

Edited by PaulS