Inspiring Shows On Stage

Has anyone seen a play or musical that inspired you?

My husband and I only get to live shows maybe once a year, but recently we saw “Memphis” in New York and were blown away. It’s about a white disk jockey, Huey Calhoun, who plays black rock n roll songs on the radio in the 1950’s south when that was taboo—the story is loosely based on a real DJ, Dewey Phillips. The curtain opens on Memphis’ Beale Street nightclubs, and the singing and dancing from beginning to end are incredible-- exuberant, non-stop high energy. But besides the entertainment, there is a marked improvement in race relations by the end of the story – real progress, not enough in terms of social justice but reason to hope-- more trust and openness communicated through music. It became clearer to me that rock n roll really was started by black rhythm and blues, and how large a part church gospel music played in its development. I was particularly impressed with Montego Glover- a gorgeous petite woman with an amazing range of vocal styles. There is a serious romance between her and Huey, which they were forced to keep hidden. As one reviewer said, “you rejoice & cry with them. The end was bittersweet and you just want to step in & rescue Huey but the curtains closed. So you are left to finish it in your mind with a happy ending….”

“American Bandstand” was featured in the show--which we saw days before Dick Clark’s passing. The story reminded me of “Dreamgirls”- also the movie “Cadillac records.” (And -- couldn’t help thinking about Trayvon Martin, and Bill Cosby’s comment that his death was more about guns than race-which I tend to agree with, but that’s another story.)

Edited by rivanna

Rivanna,

We saw the touring production of South Pacific last night. I am not sure I would describe our reaction as inspired although there was some stuff about interaction between different cultures. In any event, the music is wonderful and the cast was superb. A number of shows have one or two really good songs. This one has one after another.

We will try to see Memphis when we get a chance. Thanks for the suggestion.

George

I'll start by saying it was one scene in a movie. The scene in "Titanic" where the ship is sinking, people are dying, and the musicians set up on deck and start playing. Being a musician myself, that scene, in a way, epitomizes what it feels like when I play for funerals or Good Friday.

I saw The Phantom of the Opera in Las Vegas and felt It was life moving from one scene to another. Everything was correographed beautifully scenes of life within a scene of life, moving entertaining and inspirering until the curtains are drawn.

I’ve never seen "Phantom" on stage, but did see one show in Las Vegas, “Mamma Mia” which was delightful.

“South Pacific” seems like one of the most inspired musicals ever—the intertwining of very different cultures, and such memorable songs.

Edited by rivanna

Les Miserables! We have seen it several times and it is on my iPod when I need a lift.

Epilogue lyrics in part:

Fantine:

Come with me

Where chains will never bind you

All your grief at last at last behind you

Lord in heaven, look down on him in mercy!

Valjean:

Forgive me all my trespasses

And take me to your glory

Eponine & Fantine:

Take my hand, and lead me to salvation

Take my love, for love is everlasting

(Valjean joins)

And remember the truth that once was spoken

To love another person is to see the face of God!

Wow!

George