Reclaiming Spirituality By Diarmuid O Murchu

Inthedark

What a refreshing little book which grabbed my interest early on and kept me there until the end. It was "speaking directly to me" as if written for me so I thought I'd put a few lines in here in case anyone else was interested. He starts from the point of us being spiritual beings having some form of worship toward some Deity for about 70,000 years that we know of, only the last 5,000 or so being through organised religion.

Here are a couple of passages from the book as an example of his thinking:

"Our social and cultural dislocation in today's world is based on our alienation of spirit. We have lost touch with the spirit within and correspondingly with the spiritual power that surrounds us. We are out of tune with the fundamental nature of life, our own and that of the universe. We are haunted by a sense of cosmic homelessness..."

In this passage he expresses concern about our modern need to have control of nature and our endless quest for power over it:

"Lifes richest and deepest experiences will tend to be couched in paradox. Rational and patriarchal cultures cannot stomach paradox because it strives to keep open possibilities that our controlling culture perceives as threatening and dangerous...."

It doesn't have rave reviews from some quarters, however as I said before it speaks to me and we are all different, and yet all the same. There you go, another paradox!

http://www.amazon.co...u/dp/0824517237

I recommend it in any case.

Regards

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the recommendation. I read another book of his, "Quantum Spirituality" - it was not an easy read, but it most definitely made me think about my own spirituality. I'll have to check this out.

Paul,

Thanks for the recommendation. I read another book of his, "Quantum Spirituality" - it was not an easy read, but it most definitely made me think about my own spirituality. I'll have to check this out.

I found a review here which states the thrust of the book better than I did:

http://www.congregat...ws7/omurchu.htm

I have just purchased the book you mentioned Yvonne, about what the new quantum physics discoveries mean in theology.

I'm looking foward to that arriving now!

Regards

Paul

Archived