The Rapture-- Nimby

des

Correction: Make that:

Those who are trying to say that "things are better in Iraq now" are unwittingly employing the Stalinist rationalization that "the ends justify the means."

Back to your corners :P

I just listened to a great sermon by Marcus Borg (given Monday) that addresses the Pax Romana vs. Pax Christi.

It is here: http://www.calvaryjc.org/sermons2.html

This gives a schedule of lenten luncheon sermons; Find Marcus Borg, and click audio under the Monday sermon. It's about 20 min and plays in realplayer.

The benediction he gives at the end is worth sharing:

Life is short

and we do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel the way with us.

So,

make be swift to love and make haste to be kind

and the blessings of God, Creator Christ, and ever present Spirit be with you this day and always.

Go in Peace.

Amen.

"I think we agree then... I suppose what the underlying issue may be is that I see the potential for big problems, but don't at all relate this to any sort of biblical prophecy, whereas some do. "

"I see it as a direct result of the way humankind has treated the earth-- and I believe that the way some folks interpret scripture can significantly add to the problem, particularly if the popular belief is that none of what we do matters because God is going to restore the earth for his faithful once it's been plundered beyond recognition."

I partly agree. However, with the far right Fundamental Protestants I think it's even worse. Instead of beleiving the earth is going to be restored...they seem to feel that Jesus is gonna come back in a rage and destroy it all with fire and 'rapture' the elite (them) to that blissful vountry club in the sky golf course.

:angry:

I've always had somethign of mixed feeling about actual debate, to be honest. I personally kind of like it better when the discussion is varied and so on and lots of views are expressed. Of course tehre are some topics that work better as debate than others. Some discussions are so polarized/polarizing that they are basically impossible to debate in any rational way. One might be a person that says that abortion is always wrong no matter what and one says that it is totally up to the doctor and woman. The positions are so opposite that no discussion is really possible and you end up with a "says so" "says not" sort of thing that isn't that interesting, imo.

--des

Cynthia, thank you for the current Mar 05 Marcus Borg sermon link! I haven't listened to the audio yet, but I did print out what was available in text form. How did you find this link? I track Borg on the net and it was difficult finding this using google. His speaking schedule says he was supposed to be in Washington, DC. I guess not.

Des, I don't like debate either. I like conversation, where people really listen and try to understand each other, instead of taking a position and defending it. I'm not usually posting in debate areas.

Glad you liked it! I got to hear him speak Sunday night as part of the series. That one was very political and doesn't seem to be on the web- - - just war; history of Christians and war, etc. I didn't realize that for the first 300 yrs AD, Christians were exempted from military service as being a soldier was seen as completely incompatible with their beliefs. Later, after Constantine, and as christian countries developed, christian majorities felt torn between defense of country and tweeked their belief system. Then the Crusader mentality. Then Augustine and Just War... Borg sees preemptive war as morally wrong. He asked the audience to seriously consider the moral status of ourselves as a country. He hopes that there will be no repetition.

The Monday sermon about two processions was mild and concillatory in comparison. Borg was, as always, eloquent and christlike. His faith shines through his speech and presence much more than through his writing (Heart of Christianity excepted). If you have a chance to see him, it is well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Re the barter system...

Believe it or not bartering is an an IRS taxable transaction. the feds have even that locked up, so if you were to do bartering as a means around the system you would still have to come up with cash to pay the tax bill;

Topic 420 - Bartering Income

Bartering occurs when you exchange goods or services without exchanging money. An example of bartering is a plumber doing repair work for a dentist in exchange for dental services. The fair market value of goods and services exchanged must be included in the income of both parties.

Income from bartering is taxable in the year in which you receive the goods or services. Generally, you report this income on Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business Form 1040. If you failed to report bartering income on returns you have already filed, you should correct this by filing an amended return, Form 1040X (PDF), for each year involved. For information on amended returns, refer to Topic 308.