What am I doing or thinking today

JosephM

Columbia Falls, MT 32 annual Heritage Days celebration. Bicycled to town. Watched the parade down Nucleus Ave (main street). Lot of remodeled fancy cars, tractors, horses. Met a touring bicyclist, fully loaded panniers front & back. Bicycled from Chicago, going to Seattle, WA. Heading to Glacier NP today. Directed him to my favorite cafe for lunch: Whistle Stop.

Repaired a broken electric fence around our garden this morning. It keeps the deer from eating the produce!

I am truly blessed to be living just 15 miles from Glacier NP in a most beautiful geographic area. God is good all the time. All the time God is good.

Ed

I am back to work after two weeks on paternity leave. During this break I have had lots of time to think about philosophy and religion. Now I need to motivate myself to thinking about finance and banking again.

Our two year old son got his first hair but yesterday. Our little girl is doing great as we approach her one month birthday. She is still in the helpless infant stage, just eating and sleeping and crying.

Our pastor asked for volunteers to take his place in the pulpit. Two of us responded. Sunday I gave mine. That makes ~6 this life. Evolution with Half a Brain was the title. A few people asked for copies. That 3 of the 4 songs we sang were less than 40 years old and new to the congregation was, in away, more exciting.

Dutch

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't mind sharing my precious water resources with local wildlife, I really really don't...BUT...

I've realized that besides just being unattractive, the various dark shades of bird-poop permanent stain on the inflated top ring of my "easy-set" swimming pool seem to be, whether by their chemical composition or the effects of dark colors... absorbing more heat from the sun or both, seem to "melting" the plastic itself, which isn't real helpful trying to keep it aired up.

I also do not appreciate that many insects that have reached the end of their tolerance of this cruel world see that inflated top ring as their own Golden Gate Bridge, from which to leap to their deaths.

As I use the pool net daily to skim off their little dead bodies, I encounter an occasional one still struggling desperately on the surface, and assuming it may be having second thoughts about this, I scoop up those as well, flicking the net to send them to dry ground so they can dry their little wings and continue their life after all.

However, I realized this morning my assumption may have been wrong, that those struggling, that I so kindly rescue, may entirely want to end their lives, and do not appreciate my well-intended interference.

This afternoon I was attending my usual daily salvage and rescue operation with my net, flicking a fair number of survivors onto dry ground to reconsider their continued existence.

One particularly unnappreciative hornet proceeded to flick the water from its wings, then immediately fly up and sting me on the arm.

I am no longer quite sure what to do with these survivors.

I am no longer quite sure what to do with these survivors.

How ungrateful!

On a more serious note I am 'putting down' my two 14 year old poodles tomorrow at noon. It is an ecological, resource decision. I am not able to provide the care they need.

Edited by glintofpewter

That's always hard, even when you know it's best. And the economics is a real consideration especially as they age and have more problems, and in practical budget considerations in many cases. But after 14 yrs, there's going to be an empty spot for awhile.

I am presently coming to acceptance that my 1 yr old cat is gone. I last saw her Wednesday evening. She had her own door, her food hasn't been touched since then, I've walked the highway daily, fearing she had been hit, but nothing. No neighbors have seen her. The awful thought is the wildlife here, with only an indoor dog, things come up near at night...we have many coyotes, wolves, bobcats, and at least one dark phase couger I and neighbors have seen within only a few hundred yards of my home.

I put my 18 yr old cat down 4 yrs ago, this one is the second I've tried since then...both rescued stray kittens, I didn't go kitten shopping! The previous one was killed on the highway at 2 1/2 yrs old. I have to think I gave them a better life for at least longer than they'd have lived had I not taken them in.

But....resources...I have only a small SS income for now....I sank more money that I could really afford into both of these, with spaying/nuetering and vaccinations alone, and the previous one also required surgery, when I found him, an aggressive old tom had ripped his belly open, baring his intestines .....I just can't do this again, both the emotional and financial...no more cats...

But what do I do when the next abandoned one comes along....My horse is now 20, and my dog that was my late sister's, 10...sofarboth are healthy and strong, but...those years do tick by....with my own health now not that good, I've begun to be concerned should they out live me...

Pets bring so much love and companionship, but also complications, to our lives.

Jenell

Getting ready for Hurricane Irene. We are inland about 15 miles north west of New York Harbor on the back side of South Mountain. I am mainly worried about trees falling in yard and getting prepared for possibly extended period without power.

I was away yesterday and most of today, so I guess its mostly done what its going to do to you by now, hope you came through it ok...being here on the upper Texas coast, took a direct hit by Ike and hard glancing blows from Rita and Gustov in recent years, I can sure sympathize with you, though must admit, glad its you and not me this time....Falling trees and big limbs are my greatest hurricane concern also, thought I am getting real tired of having to wander neighbor's yards and pastures to gather up what I can find of the sheet metal roofs on my sheds each time, at least Im not at risk of serious flooding due to storm times ir heavy rains.

Jenell

We were very lucky here, though people not a half hour away have things a bit rough. lots of flooding, though I dont think there's any loss of life near me.

...also, its not particularly important, but I just made a new avatar out of the stained glass window of the church I was married in a few months back.

6097991588_bb3a610a61.jpg

...i'm a fan, but I'm biased :)

Edited by Nick the Nevermet
  • Upvote 1

Sometimes I think that if there are really such things as daemons or gremlins,then I have some really freaky crazy ones hanging around me! Whatever freaky wierd kind of thing that might be possible seems to happen with extraordinary regularity in my life.

Water well problems again today...got my trusty voltage tester and stuff and went into diagnositic mode...I'm still repeatedly looking at what I found, convincing myself this is real.....a tiny pinhole just under the top edge cap of a 25 amp time delay fuse....and a little pile of dead ants inside...I couldn't figure out what they were or how they got in there until a still live one crawled out of the pinhole, causing me to notice it.

Jenell

I "do" little, due to my disabililty, but I contemplate and pray a lot. Today I'm thinking about what the things I consider important. Perhaps I've finally reached the point of maturity when I'm learning to let go of things that just really don't matter to me personally. I'm not talking about just materials things. I'm talking about thoughts and ideas that really have no more meaning to me. I used to spend a lot of time reading philosophy (admittedly very elementary philosophy), but I realized I'm either too brain-lazy to pursue it, or it just doesn't matter to me. While I think education of any kind is a worthy pursuit, today I've made the decision to turn my education the mystical side of spirituality. And it is rather a relief.

• Upvote 2

Tonight, AC off, windows and doors opened up, listening to the steady drumming of rain, REAL RAIN, on the metal roof of my old house, the gentle drippings upon leaves, the whoosing of wind in the trees, the chattering music of wind chimes...praising, praising, inaccurate weather predictions as the tropical storm that made land fall in eastern Lousianna defies the forecast northward track to turn and roll toward to west instead.....our fervent hopes and prayers here in parched east Texas for at least a few scattered showers off it are being generously met with much more...

.....wondering what I'm to do with the giamongous (or is that humungus?) Labrador Retriever I rescued off the busy state hwy in front of my house, several days ago...with my sisters 11 yr old dog, sedate, dignified, content to lay about, I don't even have a fenced area any more...placed in the largest crate I still have from my days with Alaskan Malamutes, the poor guy is rolled up in a ball to fit, and I think he's actually still a puppy...I let him loose in here once, quickly realized every surface between 12"-36" in here has to be pre-cleared before I try that again..very well mannered fellow, but I now wonder why they don't chop the tails off these things at birth if anyone plans to allow them in a house!

....grieving, trying to find center, and let myself drift until I find course, if any is to be found, in a catastropic crisis in a close part of my family, where I nor most others would have ever thought...never, never underestimate how extent to which mental illnesses such as Bi-Polar and OCD can take someone off track, the extended damage that can result...in this, two marriages in shambles, children caught in the unimaginable chaos....knowing, but unable to do anything, that when it all settles, the affected one that has spun out of control, when she eventually comes back to reality, and what she's done.....how much she has lost....for all touched by it, just the most heart -breaking grief, a sense of helplessness....

...but the rains are here, gentle but steady, finally, replenishing the parched plants and grounds...a gift of consolation tonight, for those other concerns? I seek within, spiritual rain, to fall cool and replenishing upon my heart and mind and spirit....

Jenell

• 2 weeks later...

Myron

:wub:

Jenell

My physical health is not what it should be. My autonomic nervous system often gets of out sync and I end up with exteme phobias. Some days I cannot handle the exchanges on this board, then the next day it is "yes, I get it, now move ahead."

Myron

My physical health is not what it should be. My autonomic nervous system often gets of out sync and I end up with exteme phobias. Some days I cannot handle the exchanges on this board, then the next day it is "yes, I get it, now move ahead."

Myron

Myron,

I am pleased that you pointed this out. This will help others understand what might motivate some of your comments or an absence. I wish you the very best.

George

Myron,

I am pleased that you pointed this out. This will help others understand what might motivate some of your comments or an absence. I wish you the very best.

George

Thanks George.

I decided to take myself off the medication I've been taking. I'll be working that out with my doctor today. I've been all over the emotional map lately and my doctor thinks the meds have something to do with it. It will take about four weeks to taper off.

Myron

Bless you, Myron, and I too thank you for telliing us about it...it does help in understanding....

It is also of benefit to me personally, because I also for medical reasons often feel realy bad physically,and become cranky and irritable, and feel hurt when others seem impatient with me ...and too often then the hurt ball just starts getting passed back and forth. You help me realize, I need to explain my conndition, why I am sometimes that way, to others better, so they don't take it personally offensive.

Jenell

Bless you, Myron, and I too thank you for telliing us about it...it does help in understanding....

It is also of benefit to me personally, because I also for medical reasons often feel realy bad physically,and become cranky and irritable, and feel hurt when others seem impatient with me ...and too often then the hurt ball just starts getting passed back and forth. You help me realize, I need to explain my conndition, why I am sometimes that way, to others better, so they don't take it personally offensive.

Jenell

I posted new information in "Personal Stories ..." Seems there was a mixup between doctor A and doctor B concerning my condition and medication. I was suppposed to be informed weeks ago.

Myron

As I browsed the news over morning coffee, it seemed stories pertaining to the presently popular discussion and expression of differing views of whether or not natural disasters are messages or warnings from God, or punishment upon sinful people and nations, were a recurring theme.

Thinking to perhaps find existing threads here on the board where discussion of this has already begun, that I might perhaps contribute to, I entered "natural disaster" into the search box...and got this message...

Flood control is enabled. Please wait at least 20 seconds before attempting to search again

Oh well. Probably nothing more to be said in this topic than already has been. :rolleyes:

Jenell

As I browsed the news over morning coffee, it seemed stories pertaining to the presently popular discussion and expression of differing views of whether or not natural disasters are messages or warnings from God, or punishment upon sinful people and nations, were a recurring theme.

Jenell

This is part of the theodicy question. For, those who believe in an omnipotent and benevolent god, the answer to natural disasters is they are a warning from God. (Never mind the ambiguity of the message)

I might have to revisit my view of this now that Rick Perry is running for president and Texas is suffering an awful drought. Maybe there is a message there. :)

George

• Upvote 1

Well, if this drought is Rick Perry's fault, I sure hope all those godly conservative Republicans in this state are happy with the result of having elected him to two terms as governor...in the news here, estimates are as many as 10% of this areas trees will be dead within 2 yrs....trees covered with dry brown leaves are everywhere you look down here....I'm not talking about trees where there have been fires, but just from the drought, in yards, parks, woodlands, all around us.

Part of the problems IS Perry's fault, in Texas being poorly prepared for even minor drought, let alone this, he inhereted a state-wide crisis in both flood control and water infrastructure, storage facilities and capacity, aging crumbling distribution systems insufficient to meet even normal demands let alone Texas' rapidly growing population and uncontrolled 'urban sprawl', from his precesscor, George W Bush. Many proposed large reservoir projects around the state that would have addressed both flooding and insufficient water storage capacity have sat on the back burned for decades, so Bush and Perry could look good for their 'balanced budget' images.

Texans were presented with EXCELLENT alternate choices for both Republicans ISenator Kay Bailey Hutchinson) and Democrat (long term Houston mayer Bill White) in our last election of Governor, and they chose Perry again! Crazy!