What am I doing or thinking today

JosephM

Yvonne,

Hang in there, I can attest it is possible. Quiting (Jan. 21, 1987, 10PM) was maybe the hardest thing I have done in my life.

Several months after quiting, I had a dream that I had been to the doctor & was told I had only a few months to live. My reaction was not concern for my family, fear, anxiety or the like - it was euphoria: I can smoke again!

I no longer have any desire or graving. But, were they to find a health antidote, I would start back in a heartbeat.

George

Today I am enjoying the last day of what turned out to be 7 weeks between jobs, and what a blessing it has been. I've completed several mini projects around the house (built a gazebo, a brick BBQ, some screening, and gardening), enjoyed a caravanning family holiday, had two and a half weeks of school holidays with my children, and most importantly have had time to leave the old job behind in my head. Tomorrow I start with a commercial construction company as manager of HSEQ & HR and with a bunch of nice people I know and have worked with before elsewhere. Life's pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been around because moving in together with my wife after our separation seemed to take all my energy, physical and emotional. She was moved in on August 20th. Since then I have taken a load of my stuff each day after work.New bed we can both sleep in arrives Thurs. Most of Diane's stuff has found a home so we will move my furniture Friday. At last I will be home - and have a former apartment that needs lots of cleaning! Any volunteers?

Dutch

Sorry Dutch, I would be there tomorrow of course, if it weren't for the distance :)

August 20 was my birthday, so I know this is certainly an auspicious date!

Glad to hear that apart from energy exhaustion, things are travelling well for you and Diane.

All the best.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Busy weekend ahead. Off to an interactive performance tonight, with my two boys and lovely wife, called Mad Dads (Mad Dads is an interactive modern fairytale for big boys and their children. It combines a scripted story with improvisation and audience participation to create a unique theatrical experience, specifically for Dads and their kids, but for everyone to enjoy). Should be interesting.

We have the Waroona Show to attend tomorrow (kinda like what Americans might call a country fair) and Western Australia's largest boatshow is being held in my town this weekend so I might try to squeeze some time in to get to that.

My wife's in a community fun run (walk) Sunday morning whilst I prepare for our BBQ lunch with friends.

On Monday we welcomed our 9 week old puppy, Sonny (a black mini schnauzer) so no doubt every spare minute will be absorbed playing with and attending to his royal highness (is it this common for Dads to be rejected by their children so quickly!) :)

Annie,

I get that feeling after a god holiday, so I can appreciate what it might be like after a lengthy time abroad. 'There's No Place Like Home' rings true sometimes.

All the best.

Cheers

Paul

Been spending more time with my cat the last few days. He has reached the age of about 110 in human years. He is a shoulder cat, so I put him on my shoulder and took him for a walk around the back yard. He spent nearly 20 minutes there with a purr that was deeper and louder than I have heard from him in a long time. Soothing for both of us, I think.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Often I find life is busy & hectic, the kids are always fighting, my wife and I exchange terse words because we're both a bit stressed and under the pump, and thoughts of us all packing up and running away in a camper van are not far from my mind.

But then I have spaces like I am am having now. I've closed out some important work, we've recently been simply appreciating friends, the kids seem a whole lot nicer at present, and life in general is feeling more fulfilling. I like this space.

• 2 weeks later...

It's Saturday morning here in the land of Oz. Today I'll be taking the kids to soccer training, get a haircut, take the kids to basketball this afternoon, wash two cars, and get ready for a BBQ by the beach late this afternoon with some goods friends, one of which is moving towns on Monday sadly.

• 4 weeks later...
Doing the usual today being Easter and all .......

Two of my grandchildren who are 6 and 11 and have parts in their Baptist Church Easter program and invited the wife and i to attend their church Today. Of course i couldn't turn them down... The kids program is always fun and entertaining but afterwards the message remained the same. The following points are always emphatically made as true facts. Jesus died for your sins so you would not have to go to hell which is a real place to suffer eternally with no chance of reversal, He rose from the dead with positive undeniable proof and will reappear soon. The Bible is the inerrant Word of God and it is the duty of every Christian to go and spread this Gospel.

There is of course nothing one can say in a few words that will undo such programmed teachings especially since believing such has indeed made a change and often for the better in the personal life of those who have accepted the message and attempt to live a better life by following the teaching in the Bible as they are taught. Yet the one thing i see that is at the heart or source of all of those emphatic beliefs in those points is the belief that the Bible is the Inerrant Word of God. Once that is ultimmately accepted as true the mind for most is pretty well at least temporarily locked out to any view that says differently

I find there is no point in being angry with such people or their beliefs as it will change nothing and after all i am living proof myself that even that road in time, with an open mind and heart can be a stepping stone to a greater truth and deeper understanding of reality.

joseph

• 1 month later...

Just enjoyed a fabulous Mother's Day - every year my wife's mother's family gather for a barbecue in the bush (where they grew up before a bushfire destroyed their logging town and home 60 or so years ago). This year was the 50th anniversary of this gathering and there were 97 family members present! A great day.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today I am nursing a fractured shoulder (scapula), a couple of cracked ribs, and some missing skin after my motorbike's front tyre blew out whilst rounding a corner. Bike is now for sale - I'm getting to old for this!

• 3 months later...

Paul didn't see this earlier, but I hope you are healed now. You must be progressing very fast to burn such a large amount of Karma in one dump. Did you get a buyer? It is Christmas and I am witnessing my thoughts and hanging out with my wife and sons and witnessing theirs, feeling gratitude for discovering the witness.

All healed now, thanks John. I kept the bike in the end, much to my wife's disdain! Today I'm off to play 18 holes at a nearby beachside course (The Cut Golf Course) which should be good - not for the golf (I'm a hacker) but for the views!