Hello From Australia

JimYoungman

Hello everyone,

My name is Jim and am living in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Australia with my wife (Jenette) of almost 30 years, two small dogs and a cat. I am retired and, together with Jenette spend a good deal of my time working with our Spiritual Centre and teaching Ballroom Dancing at our local branch of the University of the Third Age (U3A).

As a child in New Zealand, I attended and Anglican (Episcopalian) church but quit when I was around 12 for a variety of reasons. At high school I was a member of the Crusader Movement which was very evangelical and I rejected those views almost immediately even though I continued to attend meetings with my school mates. At University, the Student Christian Movement opened my eyes to greater possibilities and at about that stage I read John Robinson and others. Soon after migrating to Australia in 1973 I discovered a rather progressive church and became an active member almost immediately. Things started to go wrong there following the departure of the minister and the death of his successor and I left around 1987. I lived in religious limbo until a couple of years ago when I descovered Unity. Now I am a very active member of Unity of Melbourne where, amongst other duties, I m acting as the webmaster and am leader of the Prayer Chaplaincy.

However, I still seek something that seems missing at Unity: a depth that I perceive in the writings of Bishop Spong. Currently I am reading his Resurrection and finding much to fill the void. What he points to is what have been my intuitive conclusions since childhood.

I look forward to much good sharing at ProgressiveChristianity.org.

Best wishes in the Christ spirit.

Jim

Archived