Rodger Tutt

rodgertutt

#17 – A SNIPPET FROM THE GREEK WORD AION – AIONIOS TRANSLATED EVERLASTING – ETERNAL IN THE HOLY BIBLE SHOWN TO DENOTE LIMITED DURATION – JOHN WESLEY HANSON

“The word aidios (not aionios) was in universal use among the non-Christian Greek Jews of our Savior's day, to convey the idea of eternal duration, and was used by them to teach endless punishment.

Jesus never allowed himself to use it in connection with punishment, nor did any of His disciples but one, and he but once, and then carefully and expressly limited its meaning. Can demonstration go further than this to show that Jesus carefully avoided the phraseology by which His contemporaries described the doctrine of endless punishment? Jesus never adopted the language of His day on this subject. Their language was aidios timoria, endless torment. His language was aionion kolasin, age-lasting correction. They described unending ruin, He, discipline, resulting in reformation.”

See this link.

http://hellbusters.8m.com/upd3.html

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rodger, I'm not Dutch (though my grandmother call me "dutchy" sometimes), but the tentmaker.org website shows safe in my browser.

Sorry Wayseeker.

Thanks for letting me know that bitdefender does not react to TENTMAKER.

For being so kind, here is another snippet to enjoy. :)

#18 - A LETTER OF THE CELEBRATED JOHN FOSTER TO A YOUNG MINISTER ON THE DURATION OF FUTURE PUNISHMENT AND AN EARNEST APPEAL TO THE AMERICAN TRACT SOCIETY IN REGARDS TO THE CHARACTER OF ITS PUBLICATIONS – JOHN FOSTER

“The original terms translated everlasting, eternal, forever, are often employed in the Bible, as well as other writings under various limitations of import and are thus withdrawn from the predicament of meaning endless duration.

Since the terms do not necessarily signify an interminable duration, and since there is in the present instance to be pleaded for admitting a limited interpretation, a reason in the moral estimate of things of stupendous infinite urgency involving our perceptions of the divine goodness, and leaving those conceptions overwhelmed in darkness and horror if it be rejected, I therefore conclude that a limited interpretation is authorized.”

Roger,

You are going too fast for forum members to respond to your snippets. This forum is a discussion forum, not a publisher of snippets. My past post #34 to you concerning this as Admin should be re-read and reconsidered. One snippet a day will not be allowed. Either leave a link to your entire library of snippets if you like or start a thread or two in the debate and dialog section with a couple of them and when they have become inactive after a week or so, start a couple more. Please abide by our forum etiquette if you wish to participate in this community.

JosephM (as Admin)

Roger,

You are going too fast for forum members to respond to your snippets. This forum is a discussion forum, not a publisher of snippets. My past post #34 to you concerning this as Admin should be re-read and reconsidered. One snippet a day will not be allowed. Either leave a link to your entire library of snippets if you like or start a thread or two in the debate and dialog section with a couple of them and when they have become inactive after a week or so, start a couple more. Please abide by our forum etiquette if you wish to participate in this community.

JosephM (as Admin)

Thank you Joseph for allowing me to post as many snippets as you did allow.

If anyone is interested in reading any more of them, I am adding them one per day at this link.

http://www.experienceproject.com/groups/Am-A-Christian-Universalist/forum/Snippets-From-The-Hard-Copy-UR-Library-Of-Rodger-Tutt/64195

So far, there are four pages of them there. And there are many more to come. :)

Your welcome Roger,

You can add that link suggestion to our "links suggestions" under the Resources Forum here. That would be most appropriate. This is a book discussion area and i would like to keep the site somewhat organized. Also you are welcome to continue with the quotes if you like in the debate/dialog area according to my instructions above. Its up to you.

JosephM (as Admin)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived