Hello! :)

misterkatamari

Howdy everyone!

My name's Patrick, and I just recently joined. I actually posted already in a separate thread about trying to find a good study bible here. I finished up my profile since then, so you can read that for a bit more detail on me.

Basically, I joined the forums because I am a liberal Christian who doesn't quite fit any specific denomination. I live in a small town, so I don't practice my faith with a community. I just study by myself, though I express my beliefs and opinions to my friends and family--I don't actually worship in an organized way.

I'm particularly interested in history and politics, and the historical context of the Bible interests me the most. My beliefs are a constantly evolving thing, but in general I take a blended approach to Jesus and the Bible.

So yeah, that's me! I'm pretty average and live with my dad, boyfriend, and a bunch of cats! I'm hoping to learn a lot from everyone, and hope I can contribute in some way. :)

Hi, glad you have introduced yourself, and hope you find the forum interesting.

We can certainly learn a lot from cats, if not from our fellow humans - who are perhaps a lot more guarded. My own cat teaches me that a slight hunger and the possibility of such hunger being addressed can lead to a doubling of her affection towards me. Humans tend to be a little more subtle in their approach.

Anyway, again, welcome.

Tariki/Derek

Welcome, Patrick! I'm glad you found us. The Access Bible that I mentioned in the other thread has a lot of historical/cultural information in it. If you'd like to have it for free, contact me with your name and address through the Personal Messenger function of my profile and I'll mail it to you.

Again, welcome. Jump in anywhere that you like!

ws

All animals can teach us a lot...i presently have two dogs, one that was my late sister's dog, the other i rescued off the highway several months, and a 19 yr old horse i've had 16 yrs. I'm presently 'catless", had to put down my 18 yr old cat several years ago, rescued a kitten a year and a half ago, but, tragically, she was taken from my yard, literally right out from under my house, by a wild predator a a few months ago...I live in a rural area with many wild predators...being in the midst of wildlike has it down sides. Used to be an annoying feral cat population around here, but the last couple years that has changed dramatically...something out there has learned cats are easy pickings, obviously! The realities of the animal world, even the less pleasant aspects, can actually help us learn and understand humans in some way, too. Like it or not, humans are animals...I see biblical references to people's 'bestial' or "flesh' nature as being of that we share in common with all animals..and involved with what we are called to transcend and channel into better things as we grown and mature spiritually.

Glad you joined us here.

Jenell

Welcome Patrick and thanks for the introduction.

And thanks for taking my place as the youngest person participating on the board. :lol:

Peace,

Mike

Thanks, and you're welcome Mike. :P

Thanks to everyone else for the warm welcome! So far I've had a great introduction to the site, thanks to you all!

To Jenell, I am really sorry to hear about your cat. Since I got older and got my 'own' cats, I keep mine inside because we live too close to a road. I live in a rural area, but that means that the road in front of our house is full of kids in pick up trucks going 70. My neighbor's cats are either so dumb or so brave that they actually lie on the road in the middle of the evening because of how warm it still is! They've been lucky so far, so I hope they stay that way. I also hope that whatever is getting kitties in your area finds a better source of food than domesticated animals!

Anyhow, I don't want to sound like too much of a crazy old cat lady, so I'll just say thanks again! :P

Welcome misterkatamari,

Having read your profile I just wanted to say that I wish you all the best in your studying and learnings. I was raised fundy Christian but rejected the whole lot at 18. Now however, at 43, I'm revisiting a lot of what I was taught was the truth, and actually am wondering if I threw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak (although still not convinced!). Have really enjoyed this forum with so many different views, ideas, and knowledge. Incidentally, thanks for the post about study bibles - out of that I picked up Jennell's & Wayseeker's referral to those free courses - excellent. Hope you will enjoy and find it as useful as I have.

Cheers

Paul

Welcome misterkatamari,

Having read your profile I just wanted to say that I wish you all the best in your studying and learnings. I was raised fundy Christian but rejected the whole lot at 18. Now however, at 43, I'm revisiting a lot of what I was taught was the truth, and actually am wondering if I threw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak (although still not convinced!). Have really enjoyed this forum with so many different views, ideas, and knowledge. Incidentally, thanks for the post about study bibles - out of that I picked up Jennell's & Wayseeker's referral to those free courses - excellent. Hope you will enjoy and find it as useful as I have.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks a lot for replying and sharing. What you described about yourself is similar to what I did. After I was rejected and felt that Christianity was just a tool for people to use over others, I tried to remove it from my life completely. I was young at the time, so I explored other religions in terms of reading about them and their beliefs. None of them made sense to me, though I respect them all, none of them 'fit'. I still felt drawn to Christianity, and so I that's when I knew I had to just follow my own heart and not worry about whether or not my beliefs fit into a specific denomination or theological perspective.

Like I said, I'm still growing in my beliefs, but I still feel like I am more complete and honest with myself now. I'm not on either extreme anymore, not a self-hating Christian or a strident atheist. I identified as agnostic for a long while, but I feel comfortable calling myself a Christian now. My definition of the term just happens to be a bit different than others', I suppose. :P

Sounds to me like you have accomplshed a great deal more progress in positive growth in your journey toward psychological, emotional. and spiritual maturity for your age than many. Just keep on keeping on.

Jenell

Welcome Patrick. I think many of us here know that feeling of not fitting in with some traditional churches. However, I recommend you continuing on your personal spiritual journey. There are like minded people both here and out there. I look forward to hearing more from you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived