Sunday Sermons: Member Participation Welcome

Mike

Hi everyone,

We (the moderating team) have been developing an idea suggested by JosephM.

This idea would welcome the participation of the whole membership. We’ve been considering starting a program for weekly Sunday (or weekend) sermons/homilies. These sermons would be “homegrown” right here on the boards, by members who’ve chosen to volunteer some time and energy to share some words of encouragement, reflection, and edification.

We’re not talking about anything elaborate or burdensome. Around 500 words or more would be a general rule of thumb (this very post you’re reading is over 300). And, if one is so inclined, artistic expression, like poetry or photography, would also be very much welcome.

This would be an opportunity for members to express themselves -- their thoughts, their approaches to faith, a portion of their own journey -- and for others to be encouraged in sharing in that journey together.

The sermons would appear in their own subset of the board, and as stand-alone posts (as opposed to discussion threads). They could be seen as a resource on the board.

Some general technicalities we have been hammering out:

Requisite for a member to participate would be (1) to have been active on the board within the last couple of months, and (2) to have more than 100 posts.

Content would be approved by a moderator (though not edited without explicit consent).

We’d only be asking for perhaps a couple of sermons/meditations per year per participating member. The sermons don’t have to be explicitly Christian so long as it is an edifying message in congruence with the principles of progressive faith.

The details are yet being worked out -- and indeed, can’t get worked out without your (the membership’s) help.

Through this announcement we’d like to get a feel for how many people would be interested in volunteering and contributing to such a project.

If you’re interested, please feel free to follow up in this thread or PM me or other staff.

Peace,

Mike (as moderator)

Thanks Mike,

To All,

Rather than assigning dates which might put time pressure on members and make extra work for moderation in scheduling and such, members could post sermons directly in that area themselves at their convenience any time. Those sermons would remain invisible to others except moderation and the poster. Each week on Sunday the moderator can in the order they were submitted uncover (make visible) the next one in line as that Sunday sermon. It might be good experience for all and allow some of you creative writers to get noticed for your skills which can lead to wider distribution of your writing (s). Besides guests , and members sermons may be read by organizational leadership and staff and advisers here at TCPC which includes such names THESE.

At the least it gives each member here a chance to share something special of a more formal nature than posts that perhaps might encourage or help them and others or share something that been most beneficial to you and might inspire others.

Joseph

I like the idea. Yes, I can see myself participating in something like that. I think it could be a positive learning experience for me, as well, working with putting ideas into structured form, an organized presentation, in my writing in this area of interest.

Jenell

Area is now open for member submissions. Please remember to proof read your submission before hitting the post button as it then immediately becomes invisible to members and doesn't allow the opportunity to edit further without contacting a moderator. One will be released in the order of submission each Sunday. I wrote the first quickly just to get the 'ball rolling' so to speak, and allow time for other submissions.

I highly recommend using your own editor or word processor and pasting it in only when you are satisfied it is done.

Thanks and looking forward to some inspiring, encouraging or creative sermons

Joseph

• 1 month later...

All members with at least 100 posts are encouraged to submit a short inspiring sermon/article or writing under our weekly short sermon section. Submissions are invisible until Sunday when one is uncovered in the order of submission. We have been short on submissions and two moderators have had to submit twice to keep it going. Why not give it a try and write something concerning something that inspired you and may edify, help or inspire others in some small way. See guidelines in that section for more info. Thanks for your anticipated participation. It was not meant for any one person to monopolize and I'm confident we have plenty of writers on this board that could contribute but have not as yet done so.

Joseph

• 4 weeks later...

Archived