Are There Any Ex-fundies Out There?

Seeking

....although I will admit that I tend to pull toward Christianity simply because it's what I know the most about.  Not to say that I agree with everything, but there are many things that DO make sense to me. 

Actually, I should have been more specific: I'm not evolving away from Christianity at all, far from it -- I'm just losing any great attachment to its conventional outward forms.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....although I will admit that I tend to pull toward Christianity simply because it's what I know the most about.  Not to say that I agree with everything, but there are many things that DO make sense to me. 

Actually, I should have been more specific: I'm not evolving away from Christianity at all, far from it -- I'm just losing any great attachment to its conventional outward forms.

I can understand that....I think most of us here would fall under that description!

I am of the belief that human existence is mostly about the "searching" part and the "not finding of answers".

When "answers" are found and transformed into mystical philosophical concepts, they have the possibility of creating a "new order" (no, not that kind!).

This is dangerous stuff because the establishment always tries to preserve the existing and known "order" of the ways of the world. Better for business.

Of all the answers that have been found by humans, religious concepts are the very most dangerous for they last the longest and can change entire societies. That's what Jesus did, only we do not understand much of the dynamics as to "how" he did it because that has been obscured by lots of smoke and fire over the millenia. Maybe he was an early version of David Copperfield.

Lots of assumptions have been written and spoken about all that, and the "safest" versions are what are in the Bible, and what are talked about in religious institutions. You get down to the issue of determining "what is truth?". Is it the secrets that are not known and could be destructive if they were? Is it the stories and myths that we are all familiar with and have served us for two thousand years or so?

And just what is all this bloodshed connected with the three religions of the hidden God about? Does anyone believe that He/She intended for that to happen, or is it just the natural fallout of a vast evolutionary process? If God is truly love that seems to be some sort of contradiction or paradox does it not?

See, I'm about twice your age, and after all this time I'm still looking for answers, and at the same time am halfway scared to death of what might happen if I should stumble across some new ones.

flow..... :unsure:

Yep, I am in the same camp as flowperson, as in I am am quite a bit older and don't have it figured out! Rob, I think it will do you a lot of good to communicate with others. Supportive, ya know?

Maybe there are no clear cut answers? Maybe we won't like what we learn.

The bible says that God is patient. Thank God!

I like Marcus Borg's 2003 book, The Heart of Christianity, regarding what's wrong with emphasizing correct beliefs as fundamentalism does. The rest of the book is about what Borg thinks Christianity should be. I disagree with some of that, but I think that is the reasonable order of things, for different people to see so many invisible aspects of spirituality differently, not that there is one true church.

Regardless of one's beliefs there are plenty of people to say you're going to hell for them not being correct, for not worshiping on Saturday, for not having some other essential belief. I think a lot of people feel they should be immune to such attacks. Even after having progressed in my beliefs for about 20 years, I can still wonder if I'm wrong about some things. A large group of believers in the exact same beliefs I have would help, but as a liberal I don't have that. Having learned to live without that, to trust in the God I know through prayer, through life and through my intellect, I think I wind up with more trustworthy beliefs than those who have just gone with their crowd since their youth and believed in apologists regarding the problems with orthodox beliefs.

I am convinced that with guilt or any other negative emotion, the best place for me to start is with prayer. Doing that convinced me there is a God and that He is not depicted perfectly by the Bible. In the end, it is He to whom I want to conform, not those who thunder how right they are and can't understand anyone else to the contrary.

• 2 weeks later...
I have always been a fundamentalist, but I have never found peace, tho I have tried, prayed, cried, asked questions, given up, given in, you name it.

I want God in my life!  But I cannot any longer walk (or not walk anymore) this path.  I am looking for some peace within myself. I am not sure that it is peace with God; I feel more like I am fighting myself!  I realize that there is no ONE answer out there, but I would really like to hear from people that have come from  this background and how they found their own place in God's family.

I have been reading thru the posts here and find them very interesting, but my old fundie thinking kicks in.  I am not a Bible scholar or close to it, but have been exposed to it enough to keep comparing interpretations with the old slant.

I am from the south (which makes a huge impact), so I don't know any progressives.

I have many, many questions!!!!!!!!!!!! :huh:

I am brand new to the Progessive Christianity thing. I just discovered it a few days ago. I must admit I still have reservations due to my Southern Baptist upbringing and later my affiliation with the Pentecostal Church, both of which left me still searching for more.

My question is like others I have read. How does one let go of the guilt that the church has embedded so deeply about questioning other religious concepts? I know in my heart there just has to be more, but struggle with the fears that I will be eternally banished from God's good graces.

When I left my former denomination I didn't have much guilt or worry that I would displease God. I'm not sure why. JW's are just as harsh as any denom for instilling guilt into their members about being the only way to God and that if you leave, God is going to turn his back on you. I guess I just knew better.

Scripture is pretty clear about God's love. It is also pretty clear that we should "search the scriptures, proving to ourselves that things are just so" (not exact words of course). So, in my opinion, God expects us to question and search. :)

Edited by AletheiaRivers

My question is like others I have read.  How does one let go of the guilt that the church has embedded so deeply about questioning other religious concepts?  I know in my heart there just has to be more, but struggle with the fears that I will be eternally banished from God's good graces.

Always look for the kernel of truth. Maybe instead of trying to jettison the guilt and fear, ask yourself what realities they might be pointing to -- even if their fundamentalist expressions are neurotic and controlling and superstitious. God's call on your life isn't just about being a better person, or making the world a better place -- it's something that shakes and transforms you to the core. How could such a calling not strike some fear into you?

Not having ever been a part of a fundamentalist group, I guess that I can't accurately identify with your situation, however, I was raised in an Italian environment, and the guilt thing was always hanging above our heads.

I joke that this came about because the Italians are probably the most creative culture that we are familiar with since the classical period, and the Catholic Church and then the Mafia were created by those who wished to harness this creativity so that the culture could be controlled by fear and guilt. A balanced system in the society was then struck that sparked things like the Enlightenment, the Renaissance, and modern higher education.

But I believe there is a lesson in the joke. On life's pathways, we are forced to navigate our own ways, alone. Sometimes after we are separated from our parents we get lucky and find companions who can share a part of the burdens with us and that love us for who and what we are.

But when it comes to a relationship with God, we are on our own. I agree with Fred and Aletheia that the answers for each of us are in the biblical literature, and that they are not the same for everybody because we all carry different sorts of baggage with us from our pasts. But I believe that if you can approach the seeking of answers with an open mind and soul, you will find that gradually your burdens will lighten and God will willingly help you carry your load so that your life might attain a new balance. God go with you on your journey and adventure!

flow..... :)

Well, there's some really great books out there to help with this.

1. "Ten Wrong Things I Learned From a Conservative church," Written by someone who is NOW a Progresive Presbyterian pastor who used to be a Southern Baptist Preacher.

2. When God Becomes A Drug," By Leo Both who is now a Progressive Esiscopalian pastor and used to be a fundamental catholic Priest.

This would be a great start!:)

Well, there's some really great books out there to help with this.

1. "Ten Wrong Things I Learned From a Conservative church," Written by someone who is NOW a Progresive Presbyterian pastor who used to be a Southern Baptist Preacher.

2. When God Becomes A Drug," By Leo Both who is now a Progressive Esiscopalian pastor and used to be a fundamental catholic Priest.

This would be a great start!:)

Thanks to all of you who responded. It's a comfort to know that there are those who have struggled to some degree with similar problems.

Which only proves, in my opinion, that there has to be something in each of us that drives us to seek the very thing which strikes that fear. I prefer to think of mine as a "spiritual" journey as opposed to a "religious" one. Peace is what I'm after, it doesn't matter to me how I get there. Maybe I need to redefine and look at the fear as a positive force in my life.

I haven't read much of this string but I do have a thought to share anyway!

It seems to me that we each need a certain fundamental foundation in our lives whether we get that in childhood or through adult experiences and reflection. But, then, sooner or later, we find that we need to explore the big world. My denomination -- Presbyterian USA -- was once quite fundamentalist but a consensus developed that exploration was preferable. We lost members as that consensus grew! Most people seem stuck in their need to stay at home with that secure foundation under them. But I also believe that most people appreciate the explorers and sooner or later find a way to embrace them. We are in a period of reaction rather than progress here in the States but "this too will pass."