New Area Moderator For The General Discussion Area

JosephM

I am pleased to announce the appointment of billmc as area moderator of the General Discussion Area forum which includes Progressive Christianity, Debate and Dialog, and Personal Stories and Journeys. Bill has been with us since 2006 with an excellent peer reputation and was instrumental in originally establishing a Personal Stories and Journeys area along with other positive suggestions for the forum over the years.

While moderator presence has expanded, it is our hope that the examples in behavior, words and etiquette in general by Bill and the other moderators will continue to make moderation less of a requirement and more of a service to members in the mundane operation of this forum. Moderators here are encouraged to participate as members and as always their viewpoints are their own in those posts and speak for themselves only except when responding with (as moderator) after their display name in regard to forum policy or moderator duties of their respective areas.

Soma and Mike continue as your global moderators with the ability to serve the community in all areas.

Please welcome Bill to your moderation team.

JosephM (as Admin)

Welcome to the elite few, Bill. :D

You have a great way with words and are always exploring fresh and honest territory in your posts. I'm confident having you with us, thanks for volunteering.

Peace,

Mike

• 5 weeks later...
Guest billmc

Dear PC forum staff and participants,

This post is to let you all know that I am resigning as moderator here at the forum for Progressive Christianity.

My reasons for doing so are three-fold:

First, my behavior here is not always becoming of a moderator and I don't feel right asking others to hold to behavioral standards that I don't meet myself.

Second, I simply don’t enjoy moderating. I won’t go into all the reasons, but I enjoy being just a contributing member. I am much happier with my spell-checker than I am with moderation buttons.

Third, I have been asked by a deist website to author a blog there and that will take up some of my online time. In my own self-assessment, I am a better writer than a moderator, so I am better off putting my time where my talents are, so-to-speak.

I have the utmost respect for and trust of the moderating team here as well as for this community in general, so I hope it is understood that my resignation reflects nothing negative on this forum whatsoever. I will still visit here and post as I am able.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve. I wish all of you the very, very best.

Sincerely,

billmc

Joseph, in kindness, recommended that I wait a week to do so, but I don’t need to wait to know what is best for me and for the forum.

Actually my recommendation in the best interests of the forum, to wait a week was not to do so (resign), but to take a week to reconsider to insure any decision you made was absent of any emotion concerning the last thread. Your behavior in the thread was never in question or crossed our behavior or etiquette lines (perhaps only your own). And most importantly you remain my number one choice for moderator of that area so I will not accept your resignation as final for 6 more days during which time it is my hope you will reconsider and delete your post above and this one also. Until then you remain moderator.

JosephM (as Admin)

Bill,

I am so sorry to hear this. I too would request that you to take some time and reconsider this decision.

Except for a couple of unfortunate, and I think unintended, choices of words, I felt like that discussion was an honest and respectful exchange of views which is what I like this forum to be. How boring it would be if we all agreed on everything or held our silence rather than offer a different perspective. It was cerainly worthwhile reading for those of us who were largely bystanders.

Until Joseph posted his disclaimer, it had not one time occurred to me that 'rank' might be perceived as an element or that anyone's view other than the participants was being represented. In fact, I was a little surprised when Joseph posted the disclaimer. I hope that this will not deter Joseph from candidly expressing his views in the future for fear of being perceived as representing an official position.

Bill, I hope you will take some time before making a final decision. And, should you decide to continue as a moderator, that it would not restrain you from expressing your views.

Sincerely,

George

Bill, I thought that the thread was of utmost importance because I see both perspectives. I enjoyed it and was waiting for something to come to me so I could post. I thought you both were describing the different sides of the same coin. You are a great writer and I enjoy reading your view points, and I think you are a better moderator than myself because of you attentiveness. I would say take a vacation mentally, or physically at Martha's Vinyard with the president. You both deserve a rest to recharge and write for that other blog. You can post those topics here too. In that way your ideas can be observed under two different microscopes or telescopes depending how far out they are. That way they can be stretched and expanded to their potential. You have surpassed my standards as a moderator and I hope you stay as a moderator/writer. Joe

Bill,

Though we haven’t had much time to become well e-acquainted, I must say that in my experience your “behavior here” has been more than acceptable, even exemplary.

It’s understandable that moderator responsibility could be a burden, especially considering the demands of family life and your desire to contribute positively in other venues as well.

Please know that I and others here love you and greatly appreciate your wise insights and your ability express them. I look forward to your continued participation in whatever capacities that you decide.

Sincerely,

Brent

Bill, when being an acceptable moderator for this board ceases to allow you to be human, it will be time for all of us to take our toys and go home.

I for one found nothing disrespectful or unacceptable to the position of moderator in your contributions to the particular mentioned posting or any others you've made that I read.

Ever read John Bradshaw? He presents a good analysis why it is dysfunctionnal for us to think ourselves or others, or try to be or expect others to be, either "less than human" OR "more than human."

You are human. Not more than or less than.

Please give it further consideration.

Jenell :)

Guest billmc

Hi, all.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and encouragement on this thread. As most of you know, I'm a big believer in listening to my heart, listening to that "still, small Voice" inside me, trusting that it will guide me in decisions and in life. At the same time, I'm also a very firm believer that God speaks to us through others, that God is incarnational in the spiritual sense. He/she often speaks to me here in this community and that's why I find it so refreshing and, most of the time, enjoyable here. It's not always easy, at least for me, to separate that "still, small Voice" from my own ego, so that's why I find it not only valuable, but necessary to listen to others. That being the case, I've taken what each of you have said seriously and you have given me, well, reason to pause. And to reconsider. And, yes, to pray. And I'm still doing so. It would be nice if a Voice came from heaven. ;) Or maybe it has and God is a ventriloquist. :D No, no! I'm not at all saying that ya'll are a bunch of dummies! Quite the contrary!

I just wanted to say that I appreciate the input and that I value all of your opinions.

Regards,

billmc

Guest billmc

Dear friends,

For my own reasons, I am leaving the forum. I've enjoyed getting to know all of you and you have blessed me in untold ways. I'd like to leave you with these short Irish blessings that reflect my heart towards you and hopes for each of you:

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind always be at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

and rains fall soft upon your fields.

And until we meet again,

May God hold you in the palm of His hand. - Irish Blessing

Christ be with me, Christ within me,

Christ behind me, Christ before me,

Christ beside me, Christ to win me,

Christ to comfort and restore me,

Christ beneath me, Christ above me,

Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,

Christ in hearts of all that love me,

Christ in mouth of friend and stranger. - attributed to St. Patrick

I love you all and wish you only the best and God-speed on your journeys.

Sincerely,

billmc

I'm sorry to see you leave Bill. Even though I'm still pretty new here, I've enjoyed interacting with you and learning about you and your thought provoking posts. I hope you'll stop by everyone once and awhile if you can but I hope life will treat you well no matter where you go.

Archived