Sign in to follow this  
Guest billmc

Quips And Quotes

Guest billmc

I thought it might be fun and encouraging to share some of our favorite quips and quotes here for discussion or just meditation/consideration.

Here's one I heard today from Richard Rohr:

"God comes to you disguised as your life."

• Upvote 1

I rather like this from 'Finding God in a Tangled World'. The two lines have to be taken inseparably. :)

No one is worthy of Jesus' holiness.

No one is unworthy of Jesus' holiness.

Edited by Mike

Amazing how just a few words can cause so much reflection.

This is from Tomorrow's Catholic:

"God works with what God has to work with."

Woody Allen,

" Hey listen — I've proved a lot of things. That's how I pay my rent. Theories and little observations. A puckish remark now and then. Occasional maxims. It beats picking olives, but let's not get carried away. "

These simple lyrics of a song were instrumental in triggering a positive transformation in my life.

"You'll never know that its true til it happens to you"

Guest billmc

"So go out and live real good and I promise you'll get beat up real bad. But, in a little while after you're dead, you'll be rotted away anyway. It's not gonna matter if you have a few scars. It will matter if you didn't live." — Rich Mullins

"Jesus and his disciples passed by a dog's carcass. The disciples said, 'How foul is his stench!' Jesus said, 'How white are his teeth!'"

- Saying 127 in "The Muslim Jesus: Sayings and Stories in Islamic Literature" edited and translated by Tarif Khalidi.

Guest billmc

"Whatever is flexible and flowing will tend to grow; whatever is rigid and blocked will wither and die." - Tao Te Ching

Guest billmc

"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung

Supposedly a real sign:

On a church door: This is the gate of Heaven. Enter ye all by this door.

(This door is kept locked because of the draft. Please use side entrance)

Seen on tv news, on a sign in front of a Houston, Tx business:

"Satan called...he wants his weather back."

From a church bulletin ...

"For those of you who have little children and don't know it, we have an infant quiet room at the back of the sanctuary."

• Upvote 1

Like the two golden birds perched in the same tree as friends, the ego and the Self exist in the same body. The former eats both the bad and good fruits of the tree of life while the latter does not discriminate.

Mundaka Upanishad

• Upvote 2

To take up the study of mysticism with thought to become a mystic is as for a man to take up women's studies with thought to becoming a woman.

(not sure if I read that somewhere I can't recall, or if I made it up myself :)

Jenell)

The greatest of all warriors is not he who wins over his enemies, but he who wins his enemies over.

(another of those not sure if I read it somewhere in the distant past or made it up myself,)

Today as in most days, i am most pleased at my unlearning that true knowledge itself might be present.

Joseph

“[F]or theological interpretation of the Christ-event, description and not explanation remains the operative ideal... The attempt to describe in other words and concepts the Christ-event is a necessary task if it is to be grasped at all, but let such attempts proliferate, let them be held lightly, and let no exclusive claims be made for them."

Paul DeHart,
Trial of the Witness
, describing the hermeneutics of theologian Hans Frei