The Divine Conspiracy

loki

Never heard of it until just now.

Reading the Amazon blurb, I'm still unsure what I'd think. For me, it comes down to what he means by "consumer Christian." If he means how late capitalism and commodities have invaded religion, then I agree with that. If he is complaining about Christians who don't 100% tow the party line... eh. I'm less interested.

Hi Everyone,

I have posted my inquiry on the Cafe board, however, thought you book readers might have some insight into "The Divine Conspiracy" by Dallas Willard. Anyone read this and what was your impression?

TIA, Loki

Guest billmc

I have posted my inquiry on the Cafe board, however, thought you book readers might have some insight into "The Divine Conspiracy" by Dallas Willard. Anyone read this and what was your impression?

Hi Loki. I read TDC a few years ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit. And, for what it's worth, Willard and Richard Foster worked on a Bible together called "The Spiritual Formation Bible" that encapsulated quite a few of the ideas presented in TDC. Both the book and the Bible, IMO, are good at helping us to slow down and ask ourselves why we do what we do and whether or not things have "spiritual value." I especially appreciate the Christ-o-centric focus of the book and the emphasis on our personal relationship with God.

But (you knew this was coming, right?) I also felt that Willard could get a bit preachy at times and constraining in his interpretations. I've listened to a number of Willard's podcasts and interviews and while I admire his emphasis on spiritual formation, he does come across as someone who thinks/believes that he has the "one way" that will work for every person. Perhaps it is just me, but I'm a bit wary of those who claim to have the "magic pill" for spirituality or anything else in this complicated life. And Willard does, again in my opinion, come across as somewhat of a know-it-all.

Nevertheless, I found a lot in the book worth considering and putting into practice in my own life. And that is probably the best that any author of spiritual advice should hope for. TDC is definately worth reading as, unlike much in Christianity, Willard tries to focus on the teachings of Christ rather than just on his death and resurrection. Willard's take (which is mine also) is that following Jesus is about incorporating his teachings in our lives here and now, not about "believing in Jesus" for the sake of gaining heaven later. This is, to me, the missed message in much of Christianity. So I would give TDC four stars out of five.

I’ve only seen bits and pieces by Dallas Willard, but think he probably wouldn’t be characterized as a PC author. The negative connotation of "conspiracy" in the title doesn’t make me want to read that book.

If you go to his website, there are 129 of his articles on Christianity and philosophy. From looking at some of those I tend to agree with Bill’s description.

Archived