Bonhoeffer And Bin Laden

jsawyer

Dietrich Bonhoeffer is one of my patron saints. He heroically was a member of the resistance to Nazism in Germany. He felt so strongly that it was his Christian duty, that he participated in a failed attempt to assassinate Adolph Hitler and was subsequently imprisoned and hung.

Osama bin Laden was such a leader as Adolph Hitler in today's world. The death and destruction he was responsible for has many similarities.

My question is, would Dietrich Bonhoeffer support or condemn the assassination of Osama bin Laden?

Dietrich Bonhoeffer is one of my patron saints. He heroically was a member of the resistance to Nazism in Germany. He felt so strongly that it was his Christian duty, that he participated in a failed attempt to assassinate Adolph Hitler and was subsequently imprisoned and hung.

Osama bin Laden was such a leader as Adolph Hitler in today's world. The death and destruction he was responsible for has many similarities.

My question is, would Dietrich Bonhoeffer support or condemn the assassination of Osama bin Laden?

I have to disagree.

For one thing ObL never practiced genocide. He did not start a World War and he certainly has not been responsible for the deaths as was Hitler.

I think he would. Since he was involved in, or knew of, attempts to assassinate Hitler, I cannot imagine that he would not have supported the assassination of bin Laden. Both were mass murderers of innocent people and would have continued until stopped by force.

George

I have to disagree.

For one thing ObL never practiced genocide. He did not start a World War and he certainly has not been responsible for the deaths as was Hitler.

Depends on how we define a "World War" in today's world. I'm not sure that I agree that he didn't practice a form of genocide.

Archived