Hi, I'm New!

loki

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum although I have been getting general e-mails over the years. I recently left my church, hard decision, but find myself unable to do "church" anymore. This will be my last try at organized religion. However, my spiritual journey continues. I now feel as though I am in exile, but hoping to connect and learn more here. It can be a lonely journey, so I am glad I have a place to share my fears and joys.

Looking forward to this new beginning.

loki

Hi loki, happy to welcome you.

You may find us more disorganised than anything else here, but whatever, hope you find what you are looking for.

Take a look around the various threads and hopefully join in.

All the best

Derek

Hi loki,

Welcome. I think you will find progressive Christianity at least here not an organized religion per se. There is really no dogma or doctrine you have to accept to be accepted and agreement in principal with the 8 points will allow you to pretty well post and share in all areas. Not only is the journey sometimes lonely as you say but even with the support of the community here it is still one that one must travel for him/herself. Take some time to familiarize yourself with our guidelines for each area and jump right in. Again, welcome and hanks for stopping by and hoping your stay is an enjoyable one.

Joseph

Loki, welcome.

Not long ago we attended a service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta (MLK's church). At the end of the service there was the mandatory invitation. The pastor (who gave a wonderful sermon) said, 'I know some of you say, I don't want anything to do with organized religion.' He said, 'Don't worry, this is your place, we aren't organized, we are Baptists.'

In any event, you will find a wide variety of views and approaches here. Feel free to offer yours as well.

George

I'm new to this forum, though I contributed from time to time to the Spong message boards. I very much regret that it is no longer possible to access the messages on those boards, which had a very good indexing system which enabled me to locate quotations I had used in previous messages. I live and work in London UK. Much valuable material has been lost by their having been made inaccessible.

I have been a barrister for 56 years, and would not have changed one minute of it - or perhaps I should say not very many minutes! I have been a member of the Church of England since I was baptised at 4 weeks old, and have never seriously doubted the broad thrust of its doctrines - and it is a very broad church. I regularly attend the Eucharist at my parish church, or, if away, at the local church (or, if there is no Church of England church within easy reach, the local RC church, whose doctrines, up to about 1850, were very similar to those of the Church of England, which is, after all, the Reformed Catholic Church of this country which dates from St Augustine's mission in 597 AD).

I firmly believe in the existence of the non-material (or paranormal or spiritual) world, i.e. in a theistic creator God (who clearly does not exist in the material world), and in life after death (and in particular the continuikng life of Jesus, whose appearances in the 20th century are no less real than the appearances after his crucifixion which are listed by Paul). I hope to be able to contribute occasionally to this forum, and not to displease too many other contributors.

Archived