"born Again" Progressive?

des

JW's haven't admitted they were wrong. They are masters at spin control.

For example: they predicted the end would come 1914, then it didn't, so they had to say that Christ's Kingdom "came invisibly." :rolleyes:

They then predicted the end would come in 1975, which of course it didn't. They applied spin control by saying that they "never said it." It was never clearly stated in print (and so they can say they never officially said it), but it was said by leading members of the organization in public speeches, which can be found in recorded form.

JW's have been wrong so many times that they had to come up with a good explanation for it. Now they have "gradual truth" or "gradual understanding." They don't have to admit they were wrong (really) and it gets them off the hook for future mistakes.

JW's haven't admitted they were wrong. They are masters at spin control.

For example: they predicted the end would come 1914, then it didn't, so they had to say that Christ's Kingdom "came invisibly."  :rolleyes:

They then predicted the end would come in 1975, which of course it didn't. They applied spin control by saying that they "never said it." It was never clearly stated in print (and so they can say they never officially said it), but it was said by leading members of the organization in public speeches, which can be found in recorded form.

JW's have been wrong so many times that they had to come up with a good explanation for it. Now they have "gradual truth" or "gradual understanding." They don't have to admit they were wrong (really) and it gets them off the hook for future mistakes.

That is a different kind of wrong. :blink:

OYE!

..So they are basically '2' different ways churches can handle when they are proven wrong in their views:

(1) Simply do NOT acknowledge that you were ever wrong in the first place..and claim heathens are spreading lies to undermind the Gospel....

...or..

(2) Go with the New Light theory..and if one questions the Old light that was wrong then...claim heathens are spreading lies to undermind the Gospel....

:lol:

Yeah, unfortunately, that approach eventually buckles under its own weight, when you reach a critical mass of mistakes. But that's OK because Jesus will come back before that has a chance to happen!

I very much like theology from the East.  It is not as "wooden" as Roman Catholicism and all subsequent soteriology derived from the image of the Divine Courtroom.  But you have to be willing to take everything EO has to offer - the culture, the authority of the Church (with a big "C"), and the notion that everything the Church does is holy.  The first time I visited a parish, the priest quoted St Cyprian to me - "You cannot have God as your Father without the Church as your Mother."  I should have responded with Augustine's, "The Church, she is my mother, and she is a whore." but I bit my tongue.

I have a very good EO priest friend. I am going to see how he responds! But not by email. I want to be there and see his response!