Movies - So Bad They're Good

Mike

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a well-done movie now and then. But more often than not, I'd rather settle down with some pop-corn and watch a real (reel?) tanker, Mystery Science Theater style. This of course includes 1950s sci-fi and monster b-movie classics (like Robot Monster, the Giant Claw), as well as some 80s garbage (The Alien Factor), and even well into the 90s and 2000s with "Future War" and "Megashark". Next on my list will be "Birdemic". And I would be remiss if I failed to mention Toho's long run of Godzilla movies. Nothing like watching two guys in rubber suits slap each other around in a miniature city.

Anyone else part of this elite group of moviegoers? :lol:

What are some of your favorites?

Guest billmc

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Nightbreed

Lifeforce

The Keep

I once saw this "B" movie (or was it "z") about some giant bird that threatened mankind's very existence. The "special effects" appeared to be a length of string along which a balsa wood plane moved - yes, you could really see the string! The plane was destroyed by the giant turkey. The best scene was when an observation balloon was sent up, with camera's attached to capture shots of the bird. Sure enough the giant turkey came for a gander (am I mixing things here?) The close ups of the bird were truly hilarious, the face a cross between Road Runner and a circus clown - yet the military guys, big macho males, observing the camera shots, all staggered away in shock and horror! "OH my GAWD, what IS that thing?" (or some such) cried one. Well, I could have told him, but did not want to spoil the suspense.

:)

Plan 9 From Outer Space

The Crawling Eye

Regarding Plan 9 From Outer Space, certainly plenty of room for prequels and sequels..... :D

And I have to wonder just what it was that the Crawling Eye actually crawled with......(The rolling eye, yes, the bouncing eye, perhaps......) Anyway, certainly one to look out for!

Mike, I did wonder when I saw the title, but could not remember. Thanks.

I like how the phrase "it's as big as a battleship" kept being repeated throughout the movie.

I did a little reading about that movie a little while ago. The actors had no idea what the monster would actually look like. The star of the movie was rather embarrassed at the first screening. That bird is one of the funniest looking monsters I've ever seen. It reminded me of the old looney tunes buzzard who chases after Bugs Bunny, only a whole lot uglier. :lol:

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Nightbreed

Lifeforce

The Keep

Hey Bill thanks for sharing, I haven't seen the last few of these... yet.

grampawombat writes...

Mars Attacks--what can be better than Slim Whitman music causing brains to explode?

:lol: But how is that any different from real life?

And I have to wonder just what it was that the Crawling Eye actually crawled with......(The rolling eye, yes, the bouncing eye, perhaps......) Anyway, certainly one to look out for!

I've seen this one but can't remember how they got around. I guess their optic nerves or something. Go ahead an watch this one, you won't be disappointed...get the MSTK3 version too if you can. :)

• 2 months later...
Guest billmc

Oh, yeah, "The Keep's" soundtrack is 100 times better than the movie, but the movie does raise some interesting philosophical questions concerning dealing with evil, both inside and out. It was great fun when I was...what...25?

Guest billmc

I think I got past that stage of entertainment interest some 30-35 yrs or so ago...

Jenell B)

Me, too, Jenell! Now I watch old taped reruns of PTL and the 700 Club!!! :lol:

...though I did encounter just a few years ago the movie I'd have to say is my most favorite movie that's so bad it's good. Ran across it by chance, it was back while my sister was still alive and living here with me....just imagine if you can stand it, two late-middle-aged women resorting to sitting on thick folded towels to protect the sofa just to get through a movie....

The title is "Joe's Apartment."

Jenell

• 3 months later...

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a well-done movie now and then. But more often than not, I'd rather settle down with some pop-corn and watch a real (reel?) tanker, Mystery Science Theater style. This of course includes 1950s sci-fi and monster b-movie classics (like Robot Monster, the Giant Claw), as well as some 80s garbage (The Alien Factor), and even well into the 90s and 2000s with "Future War" and "Megashark". Next on my list will be "Birdemic". And I would be remiss if I failed to mention Toho's long run of Godzilla movies. Nothing like watching two guys in rubber suits slap each other around in a miniature city.

Anyone else part of this elite group of moviegoers? laugh.gif

What are some of your favorites?

I love Godzilla. :D

I dunno if it's because I watched it when I was little (grade school) but it's fun to watch up to now. :D

I also remember Roger Rabbit. I love that as well. Hihi

Archived