Why Am I Here?

NORM

One word: frustration.

I am frustrated that the church that formed my childhood has not grown up.

I am frustrated that I cannot sit with a room full of Christian friends and calmly discuss whether or not Jesus was a part of a so-called Trinity - even though the concept is foreign to Judaism, the alleged source of the Christian faith and the religion of Jesus himself.

I am frustrated that gays folks, social reformers and feminists are ignored, shunned and hated in many Christian churches.

I am frustrated that the only churches I feel any level of comfort in are dying by the score.

I am frustrated that the SECULAR, political right has co-opted Christianity with all of its greed, avarice and selfishness, yet when I try to suggest a more secular version of Christianity that focuses on social reform and human rights, I am deemed a "radical."

I am frustrated that one of the best religious forums ever - the once great Religion & Spirituality forum on the Atlantic Magazine website - was brought down by fundamentalist trolls. There were a few good years of intense debate and its where I discovered the truth about myself and began my current non-theistic Christian adventure.

However, I am HOPEFUL that this forum can be a place of enlightenment and encouragement.

It is truly a pleasure to meet your acquaintance. A preliminary perusal of the current discussion boards looks interesting and civil.

NORM

Welcome to the forum at TCPC, Norm. Yes, your frustrations are shared by a few of us. Some of us, perhaps like Spong, have sought to stay within the church, calling for change. Others of us, myself included, have given up on institutional Christianity and now follow our own path. I suspect the world needs both kinds of progressives.

I hope you enjoy the conversations, find many to contribute to, and start quite a few of your own.

sbnr

However, I am HOPEFUL that this forum can be a place of enlightenment and encouragement.

My first thought, as I read your post, was:" Welcome to the club, Norm."

I am fairly new to this forum - a number of us came over here from the Bishop Spong forum ( which is now eliminated) and have found it quite different, but not unacceptable. And, the older we get, the more changes we have to put up with - good, bad, and indifferent.

Anyway, WELCOME! I hope you enjoy surfing these threads!

Hal

Norm, Welcome! I am sure you will expand our minds with light and love. sbnr1 you forgot my kind of Christian. I am usually expelled, excommunicated or locked out of Christian organizations even though I want to participate. Similar to Norm I don't understand this, but it only encourages me to go deeper into Christian Mysticism.

sbnr1 you forgot my kind of Christian. I am usually expelled, excommunicated or locked out of Christian organizations even though I want to participate. Similar to Norm I don't understand this, but it only encourages me to go deeper into Christian Mysticism.

Sorry. I'm forgetful in my old age, if I remember right. :D

Sorry. I'm forgetful in my old age, if I remember right. :D

sbnrl, You are a master. I forget in my old age which is a blessing, but the problem is I keep remembering.

Welcome Norm,

I think you will find this forum more closely monitored than most so that it remains civil and respectful of a diversity of views. Sharing is the name of the game rather than proselytizing or growing a religion. Perhaps, we will all arrive at the same conclusions on our own as we show greater love and respect for each others journey?

Joseph

Archived