Welcome Bishop Shelby Spong Newsletter Subscribers

JosephM

Welcome Bishop Shelby Spong Weekly Newsletter Subcribers to the TCPC discussion board.

A special area has been created for for your convenience for discussion of his Weekly Newsletters under Special Topics, Please familiarize yourself with our guidelines and feel free to also participate in any other areas of the TCPC discussion board that may be of interest to you.

JosephM (as Admin/Moderator)

Thanks for the welcome. The Waterfront message board had previous posts archived. Are they lost or is there a way to access them? I look forward to uplifting informative conversation.

Greetings Vridar,

The takeover by TCPC turned out to be much more complicated and expensive than first thought. I will get back to you shortly on whether we can move that data or access it in another way as my present understanding is that it turned out to be a complicated issue since the board was handled by a paid management firm and the expense might be great.

Joseph

Good Morning and Happy New Year,

An after thought, it probably is good that the archived posts are not transferred. There are some very personal conversations we comforted in that they could not be accessed by just any internet user. We were safe in that it was a "closed" message board only accessible to paid subscribers. This is not so with this forum, I understand. This may be a good thing ;>) .

Respectfully,

Ron

Good Morning and Happy New Year,

An after thought, it probably is good that the archived posts are not transferred. There are some very personal conversations we comforted in that they could not be accessed by just any internet user. We were safe in that it was a "closed" message board only accessible to paid subscribers. This is not so with this forum, I understand. This may be a good thing ;>) .

Respectfully,

Ron

Ron,

While all paid subscribers are automatically welcome on any of the forums on this board, if the consensus of those subscribers wish to keep posting on that one section of the board dedicated to the newsletter discussions private only without guests, that can be considered and arranged. With the exception of Administration/moderators here, access of the weekly newsletter still remains to paid subscribers only. Your input and concerns and those of the other active newsletter members is both welcome and solicited here. We are of course hoping we will all mutually benefit by your groups presence.

Respectfully,

Joseph

Ron,

While all paid subscribers are automatically welcome on any of the forums on this board, if the consensus of those subscribers wish to keep posting on that one section of the board dedicated to the newsletter discussions private only without guests, that can be considered and arranged. With the exception of Administration/moderators here, access of the weekly newsletter still remains to paid subscribers only. Your input and concerns and those of the other active newsletter members is both welcome and solicited here. We are of course hoping we will all mutually benefit by your groups presence.

Respectfully,

Joseph

The "closed" forum was also closed to web crawlers such as Google. Would that be such if (edited from it-a typo) the archived conversations were transferred? If the site can be "web crawled" I'm sure most Spong posters would prefer the posts not be transferred. Not being technically up on these things I can only surmise.

Respectfully,

Ron

Ron,

At this time it doesn't look like we will be moving any data from the old forum. I have not heard any further news to the contrary from TCPC's president but if it changes i will post our plans here.

Joseph

PS While it is possible and i do have the facilities to make one of the forums private on this discussion board, i do not know at this time if that would be the best route to take and my converstaion with Fred Plumer, TCPC president, indicate to me (my understanding) that he thought it might be beneficial to all of us for the forum to be open as long as those who are not subscribers remember they are guests to that section.

You posted, "While it is possible and i do have the facilities to make one of the forums private on this discussion board, i do not know at this time if that would be the best route..."

I agree, especially after signing on to the "old" forum and following the current discussion. I keep saying I will blend in and lurk. I sincerely wish to do that. This will be the last I refer to the old. "Out with the old and in with the new."

Respectfully,

Ron

Edit - I see my original re-thought attempt above to reply got posted when I preferred only to respond to a partial post. Sorry. Again, I'm learning.

To all subscribers,

Please PM me after sign-up or you can use your introduction as some have to inform me you are a subscriber and for how long so i can remove your 'system generated'' title of lurker/guest member and replace it manually with something more appropriate. At this time, i do not have access to the list of subscribers. Thanks for your cooperation and anticipated help.

Also i have noticed quite a few new registrations that have not validated their email address yet so they can post. Please insure @tcpc.org email does not go to your junk mail. I have been resending them daily manually. If you still have a problem email me personally and i will force approve you manually.

Joseph

PS Perhaps you have noticed in member profiles something called reputation. It is a system generated peer rating. If you are moved by a post or believe it is exceptional you can (if you desire) vote it up by clicking on the plus sign in the lower right corner of the post. If you feel it is a really poor post or offensive in some way, you can click the minus sign and vote it down. Each member has 2 votes a day. Participation in this is strictly voluntary but at times it seems to me appropriate to indicate i really appreciate a particular post. You can't vote up your own as it won't show. Any topic started that gets over 10 replies automatically gets a positive reputation vote. If you think this peer thing is all just silly or foolish, feel free to both feel that way and ignore it.

• 3 weeks later...

A helpful announcement by TCPC.org taken from an essay and post by Juanster......

essay not included... (new members here please note under Admin section that copyrighted material cannot be posted without the express permission of the author or publisher. Check copyright laws for what is and isn't allowed. JosephM)

Announcements

As the new publishers of "A New Christianity for a New World," we just want to say thank you to all of your positive feedback, encouragement and support. Aside from a few minor issues which we have quickly resolved, the new website is functioning well. We are excited to announce that, for subscribers, comments are now enabled directly onto the website. So, now you can read all of Bishop Spong's essays online at www.johnshelbyspong.com and comment on them right there! Just log in first!

Note: When we transferred user data, for security reasons, all usernames we changed to email addresses. So, when you login, use your email address as your username.

To change your email address or password, just login, and click on "My profile"

When you change your email address, your username is automatically updated to your new email address.

Contact us at: support@johnshelbyspong.com with any concerns or questions!

Copyright © 2011 The Center for Progressive Christianity, All rights reserved.

You are receiving this email because you have a membership at our website.

Our mailing address is:

The Center for Progressive Christianity

4916 Pt Fosdick Dr, NW

Gig Harbor, WA 98335

Add us to your address book

If you are a paying subscriber, you may login and cancel your account otherwise, you may unsubscribe from this list

• 1 month later...

To all subscribers,

Please PM me after sign-up or you can use your introduction as some have to inform me you are a subscriber and for how long so i can remove your 'system generated'' title of lurker/guest member and replace it manually with something more appropriate. At this time, i do not have access to the list of subscribers. Thanks for your cooperation and anticipated help.

Also i have noticed quite a few new registrations that have not validated their email address yet so they can post. Please insure @tcpc.org email does not go to your junk mail. I have been resending them daily manually. If you still have a problem email me personally and i will force approve you manually.

Joseph

PS Perhaps you have noticed in member profiles something called reputation. It is a system generated peer rating. If you are moved by a post or believe it is exceptional you can (if you desire) vote it up by clicking on the plus sign in the lower right corner of the post. If you feel it is a really poor post or offensive in some way, you can click the minus sign and vote it down. Each member has 2 votes a day. Participation in this is strictly voluntary but at times it seems to me appropriate to indicate i really appreciate a particular post. You can't vote up your own as it won't show. Any topic started that gets over 10 replies automatically gets a positive reputation vote. If you think this peer thing is all just silly or foolish, feel free to both feel that way and ignore it.

Well, I guess this is what we are stuck with, but I don't think that I like this new forum or that I am "rated" by people as if the majority can silence and abuse the minority.

The concept of voting "for" or "against" someone's views on religion and spirituality seems archaic and somewhat abusive and not aligned with the concepts held in the Bill of Rights such as religious freedom and tolerance. Of course, from a historical perspective, "Christians" have a long-standing history of intolerance and inflexibility which keeps them isolated from the bulk of humanity which is currently moving on from the old divisive superstitions.

I now know that nobody can atone for my transgressions but me. Any pretense that any religious figure can use God to expiate my errors is just that: a pretense and an assumption of a divine authority which is neither valid nor spiritually effective.

I imagine that many will not like to hear such things on a religious forum. When I worked at the Evangelical Christian Credit Union, they ALL either believed in the inerrancy of the Bible or kept their mouths shut about it. It was economic and social suicide to do otherwise. After two years of this, the day came when I could no longer enter the building.

I wonder what punishments this forum has in store for me seeing that I do NOT worship the Bible or even credit the Holy Bible with much wisdom or truth ....

When I tried to subscribe, I was told I was already a member, but when I write something, I show up as "guest" and my picture, while in the system, does not show. Am I in some form of e-purgatory?

Done. Changed member title. Now you have to install your own Avatar like you did your photo in your profile.

JosephM

Archived