A Quaker Quote

We are not for names nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for this party nor against the other... but we are for justice and mercy and truth and peace and true freedom that these may be exalted in our nation, and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity with God, and with one another, that these things may abound.

Edward Burrough, Quaker, 1659, who died in prison at age 29 for publicly voicing this Truth

Russ,

Nice quote. Sounds like it could come from a progressive Christian. My understanding is that Quakers originally came from the umbrella of Christianity and that most but not all consider themselves Christians. The Quaker way seems to me to obviously be more universalist in nature than the conventional beliefs found in fundamental Christianity and more in line with PC. Is that your understanding?

Joseph

Good Morning, Joseph...

The Religious Society of Friends began as Christians who could no longer align their beliefs with the English state church under either the crown or Cromwell. The Truth that is spoken of is that of God that is within each and every one of us making the need for an interpretor or mediator in the the form of priests, pastors, church authorities, symbols, special buildings etc. unnecessary. We all have direct access to God within. All we have to do is close our eyes and look inward to the Indwelling Spirit. Because the early Quakers and many present day Quakers believe Jesus to be a direct manifestation of God, 'God Within' is equal to 'Christ Within'. As with any Faith community, there is a spectrum of personal interpretations. Because The Society has no creed, no hierarchy of authorities to deem correctness in faith, etc., members bring their own personal understanding of God, Jesus, and relationship to the Divine to the Meeting. Personally, I have a broader understanding of the nature of God and the nature, mission, and meaning of the teachings of Jesus. There is no contradiction because I believe that, because each and every one of us alive and breathing, right now, everywhere on this Earth are Children of God with the light of God Within, we must treat each other accordingly regardless of the awareness of this fact by another person. It is wrong to treat another Child of God with hatred, bigotry, violence, and deprivation, regardless of color, nationality, origin, language, and faith. It is in this way I embrace Edward Burrough's statement above and, too, put it forward as a simple Truth for all Children of God and take my place in prison.

Guest billmc

We are not for names nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for this party nor against the other... but we are for justice and mercy and truth and peace and true freedom that these may be exalted in our nation, and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity with God, and with one another, that these things may abound.

Awesome quote, Russ!

more, More, MORE!!!

• 1 year later...
We are not for names nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for this party nor against the other... but we are for justice and mercy and truth and peace and true freedom that these may be exalted in our nation, and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity with God, and with one another, that these things may abound

Thank you, I agree we can't be divided into names, parties and titles. We are one in justice, mercy, truth and the one consciousness they give birth to.

Edward Burrough, Quaker, 1659, who died in prison at age 29 for publicly voicing this Truth

What a quote, Thank you Quaker Way.

Some years ago, as I had just begun to discover there were Christians with very different thinking and views on matters of faith than I had there-to-fore known, ie fundamental evangelical, I began my seeking about to discover who else was out there. That was pre-internet days,at least before my own connection to the internet, so I wrote the Religious Society of Friends for more information. They sent me a wonderful large package of information. I was much impressed by their affinity to my own thoughts and feelings about faith and social justice issuses..however, this very "red-neck" conservative fundamentalist corner of the "bible belt" where I live is not an area in which there was or is much presence or activity of the Friends, and the few nearest congregations were still quite far away. But I still hold this as a faith tradition I feel affinity for and much alignment with.

Jenell

Archived